Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duck Shacks on the Susitna Flats

Default Duck Shacks on the Susitna Flats

Does anybody know who owns the duck shacks that are located on the Susitna flats? If so, does anybody know if they are available for use?

I own one. They are all privately owned. What area are you looking for?
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

The area between the big and little Susitna. I was out there today, and there were still quite a few ducks and geese, but there didn't seem to be too many people at the cabins. I was wondering if any of the owners would be willing to rent them out when they aren't being used?

Mine is a few miles south of the mouth of the big Su. How did you get there? Boat? Atv? Fly? I'll be there this weekend.

Banned

I think less people are going out there because of the economy. One guy told me it cost him $200 to fly out there and he is staying home this year. Good place, a lot of muckty mucks in Anchorage have had or have cabins there like Tom Fink, Bill Shefield and etc.

A buddy and I took a cub out there today, did a little flying around, shot a few ducks and called it a day. There are certainly plenty of ducks and geese out there, crystal clear skies and they were still flying all afternoon. You should have a good weekend, at least plenty of shooting. It's good to hear that you use yours at least, I'd like to get out there and take advantage of what so many people seem to be just letting sit.

due to the way the regs worked on those places most guys that own them are older guys who hunt a lot durring the week. every cabin on our slough is used.

Well I'm only 24. I don't fly but I get flown to beluga and have a truck there. I'll invite anyone I get along with over to the shack. There's a ton of room to hunt. So if you fly on wheels let me know!

4 or 5 years ago a friend and I bid on a weekend at a cabin at sealy lake (near beluga river) at a banquet. They flew us over in a float plane, dropped us at the front door and picked us up a couple days later with limits for all for each day. Had a great time. That was first weekend of Oct and we almost got cancelled due to water freezing over. If you are flying in a float plane, most likely too late to do it this year, and the commercial plane was very spendy for them. I imagion if you have a truck there, you land on the dirt strip. Not being a pilot or having a plane, it would be way out of my price range to fly more then occasionally, like once a year if lucky. However, could run my airboat down the little su and access there maybe. Bud
    Wasilla

I am 2 miles from sealy lake. for some reason...the hunting on my pond/slough system doubles the number of birds around sealy. I've never understood but I have no complaints. I can get there round trip for $150. which is not much more than a tank of gas...so I am able to go frequently...my shack is near a road so people land on wheels...or land on floats and walk a good ways...an airboat could get there if you can run the inlet or the big su which is closer...if anyone wants to see the area...ill be there friday mid day til sunday afternoon.

Our cabin is on the North side of the Little Sue. Take a boat across the inlet and ride the tide into our gut. Pretty slow last weekend. Sounds like a different report from around Beluga. Maybe some of those ducks will get turned around and come back up North, haha.
    Hopefully this cold weather will bring the Northern birds down. Not going to be able to make it out until Friday but i'll be sure to give updates from my scouts.

I fly over the north side of the su on my way to my shack. I don't ever seem to see a high number of birds in there....there's a ton of water over there so I think the birds have all the options they want there.

Interesting... Is there less open water down by your place?
    Our cabins are about 1/2 mile from the tide line and out blinds are about 100 yards from the woods.
    Lots of air traffic. There isn't really any place to land a float plane by our cabin, but there is a few long strips for wheels.

there is open water, it seems to be the perfect ammount. enough to keep the birds there, but it is concentrated within a few square miles so they seem to cruise that system. I can also drive the enstar roads toward the inlet after the big birds too. It takes a truck being over there though. I cannot cross the rivers so I stay between them and my pond system seems to hold birds well, and like I said...the inlet usually produces.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    4 or 5 years ago a friend and I bid on a weekend at a cabin at sealy lake (near beluga river) at a banquet. They flew us over in a float plane, dropped us at the front door and picked us up a couple days later with limits for all for each day. Had a great time. That was first weekend of Oct and we almost got cancelled due to water freezing over. If you are flying in a float plane, most likely too late to do it this year, and the commercial plane was very spendy for them. I imagion if you have a truck there, you land on the dirt strip. Not being a pilot or having a plane, it would be way out of my price range to fly more then occasionally, like once a year if lucky. However, could run my airboat down the little su and access there maybe. Bud
    This is kind of what I'm looking for, one that I can rent. The only thing I'm really picky about is that it is accessible via a plane on wheels. So who owned that one, and would they be interested in renting out?

I am on the permit along with another guy. My shack is on a road we are able to land anything 206 and smaller on. How many people and when are you planning on going?

are those leases transeferable? I have heard that they are not and once the orginal leasees are gone the shacks will be gone too. How does it all work, can you sell it, gift it, leave it in a will?

yukon,
    non of the above but as long as the fee gets paid i dont think they would every know.

It is non transferable...he's right...they don't pay attention until the checks stop. I've only seen one go down in 25 years

I'm headed over tomorrow night. I hope the bigger ponds are not froze up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast