Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My observations with Wooldridge reverse gate for Jetcraft Extreme Shallow

Default My observations with Wooldridge reverse gate for Jetcraft Extreme Shallow

Hi Everyone-

Installed my new reverse bucket that Mike from the boat shop of Fairbanks sold me...Boy, I wish I had a shop like this around me.... customer service is great and friendly people!

Anyways, the bucket definitely provides more rear thrust and makes backing up a beached boat easier with a lot less pushing.. I was even able to back the boat upstream in a pretty swift current...Not bad!

Slight downside is this bucket is heavier than stock (I even had 3 inch extensions on my original bucket welded on) and you have to physically hold throttle in "N" to start. In fact...moving the stick down towards "R" the weight of bucket will pull the throttle down.. Not a BIG deal but some people may not like the added "weighty" feel of the throttle.

Overall, if you want more reverse thrust...a good option over stock.

M.

Ya buddy. I have one on my phantom and I love it. Backs up great and when you slam on the breaks...watchout!!! The passengers better be holding on. Dam near put one through the winshield....definately worth the money..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by palasz View Post
    Hi Everyone-

Slight downside is this bucket is heavier than stock (I even had 3 inch extensions on my original bucket welded on) and you have to physically hold throttle in "N" to start. In fact...moving the stick down towards "R" the weight of bucket will pull the throttle down.. Not a BIG deal but some people may not like the added "weighty" feel of the throttle.

M.
    My throttle body has a friction adjustment and I can tighten it up to hold the throttle. You might check and see if yours has one and tighten it up and see if it will hold it in place.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Careful with the extra weight of the reverse bucket. Our boat had the bucket extensions on it when we bought it and the pivot bushings were gone in the first couple months. Ended up going to a stock bucket and planned to rebuild the old bucket with brass bushings later. The factory bushings are laughable.

The bushings are brass that come with the wooly bucket. Glenn really put some thought into his product. To bad it wouldn't fit my boat. I'm stuck with the stock bucket and extensions.

Ah good to know someone finally did it right. Thanks. Sounds like Glenn has really given the sport jet followers some new life. Was starting to get a little stale there for a bit with not much new happening. Glad he finally joined in on the fun.

Yes, the unit is well constructed and has brass bushings.. I painted mine BLACK... not sure why those guys at Wooldridge prefer powder puff blue... )

M.

We have a replacement pivot bolt pin and bushing kit for the sportjet reverse buckets. Brass or bronze bushings do not stand up very well in this application. Note the shinny threads of the pivot bolt pin it's manufactured out of a higher grade stainless compared to the stock bolt pin. The new replacement polymer plastic bushings have good tensile strenght and toughness that works very well in this bearing bushing application.

Claude:

And those plastic bushings are better than the bronze (brass) bushings? I have the wooldrige bucket on mine and will be needing new bushings soon. I put 85 hours on it already and about 40 stoppies, it's getting kinda loose now and hard to put in reverse. Should I go with bronze or your plastic ones??? '''fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Exactboats View Post
    We have a replacement pivot bolt pin and bushing kit for the sportjet reverse buckets. Brass or bronze bushings do not stand up very well in this application. Note the shinny threads of the pivot bolt pin it's manufactured out of a higher grade stainless compared to the stock bolt pin. The new replacement polymer plastic bushings have good tensile strenght and toughness that works very well in this bearing bushing application.

Claude:

The bushing are Bronze....

Brass or bronze bushings do not stand up very well in this application.
    What makes you say that the bronze doesn't stand up very well? I must say that you are incorrect.

Now if you meant to say that the bronze won't last as long as the polymer ones do, then I'd have to defer to your experience as I have no experience with the polymer. How many hours did the bronze bushings that you tested last? How many hours did the polymer ones last?

I will say this though, the bronze bushings are typically available readily from a hardware store, and at a couple bucks each it is hardly an issue that the owner should even waste a moment worrying about....

We have a replacement pivot bolt pin ... Note the shinny threads of the pivot bolt pin it's manufactured out of a higher grade stainless compared to the stock bolt pin.
    you've mentioned these replacement bolts before....

Have you ever seen a failed pivot bolt? Why would a guy feel the need to upgrade the pivot bolt?

Are you trying to convince SJ owners that they need to upgrade the freaking pivot bolt? The screen is getting blurry from my tears of laughter...

....but, maybe I missed something, please correct me if I did....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I would recommend the polymer plastic bushings over brass or bronze bushings. This type of polymer plastic resin toughness makes it a natural bearing material with very low coefficient friction agianst metals with excellent abrasion resistance. Also polymer plastics will not expand and contract like brass or bronze in high temp or cold water conditions. We use these bushings and bolt pins in our SJ reverse buckets and reconditioned stock buckets.

Claude:

I would recommend the polymer plastic bushings over brass or bronze bushings. This type of polymer plastic resin toughness makes it a natural bearing material with very low coefficient friction agianst metals with excellent abrasion resistance. Also polymer plastics will not expand and contract like brass or bronze in high temp or cold water conditions. We use these bushings and bolt pins in our SJ reverse buckets and reconditioned stock buckets.

Claude:
    You mentioned that the bronze didn't hold up well...what makes you say that?
    How many hours did the bronze last when you tested them?

You mentioned you had a better/stronger pivot bolt for sale.
    Have you ever seen a pivot bolt failure? Why would a guy feel the need to "upgrade" their pivot bolt?

If you don't have answers for these questions it would seem that you are just trying to pimp your products by instilling fear/concern about possible failure with the stock equipment...

There is nothing at all sub-par with bronze...
    There is nothing at all sub-par with the stock pivot bolt...
    It is shamefull that you would try to convince anyone otherwise just to sell your product...but I guess there a sucker in every group, I just hope you don't find one here....
    pull my finger....

It is shamefull that you would try to convince anyone otherwise just to sell your product...but I guess there a sucker in every group, I just hope you don't find one here....

We are all entiled to an opinion of others and topics. We are not here to directly pick on anyone or topics just giving another alternative to upgrade an end user product. As a site sponser or forum members I believe we all deserve abit of respect keeping personal attacks and comments off the forum. Do abit of research on brass and hardware store modern bronze (88% copper 12% tin) witch doesn't wear well (friction) with other metals.

Claude:

We are not here to directly pick on anyone or topics just giving another alternative to upgrade an end user product.

just giving an alternative is one thing, but you are attempting to instill a lack of confidence in the stock product, and that is a sneaky way to do business...

I believe we all deserve abit of respect keeping personal attacks and comments off the forum.
    agreed, but there weren't any personal attacks....I stated that it is shameful that you'd try to convince anyone that something was sub-par when it wasn't....that isn't a personal attack, sorry you see it that way...

Do abit of research on brass and hardware store modern bronze
    I've done plenty of research....many many hours of real world research .....I deferred to your experience concerning the polymer, but you have no answer when I ask about your research on the bronze and pivot bolts...certainly you must have had many failures with the bronze and stock pivot bolts to make the claim "they do not stand up very well in this application"....

How many hours did the bronze you tested last?
    Have you ever seen a pivot bolt fail?

If you don't have an answer to those questions why would you suggest that they should be upgraded?

nothing personal Claude, I just have to call B.S. when I see it.....
    pull my finger....

tjm:
    Please don't stress yourself over polymer plastic or bronze bushing and pivot bolts we probably have more experience then you working on this stuff. The end user will make the choice whatever he will want to use polymer plastic or bronze. All I can say they will last alot more then 80hrs so we will leave it at that.

Claude:

tjm:
    Please don't stress yourself over polymer plastic or bronze bushing and pivot bolts
    I'm not stressing, I can see through your B.S.

tjm:
    ... we probably have more experience then you working on this stuff
    well then you should be able to answer the questions that you keep avoiding....more experience doesn't necessarily translate to less B.S....

You ever see a pivot bolt fail?

tjm:
    All I can say they will last alot more then 80hrs so we will leave it at that.
    Claude:

that's great!....

pull my finger....

Wow Claude, you must not know who you are conversing with!!! You can't argue with TJM...He is the jetboat god....you will loose everytime!!!....I got your back T....I think I'll have to stick with the bronze bushings..."fishon"

Default Pivot bolt

Claude:

Those bolts look pretty, but to think I would replace my OEM bolts for a new set of bolts without a need isn't very cost effective. Now don't get me wrong I can afford to buy nice shiney things, but the only thing thats ever failed, on my rev bucket, has been the pin holding the bolts in. The darn things will vibrate out.

Now I fixed the lost pin problem by Tapping the hole (with treads) and placing a bolt/screw into the newly treaded hole (with lock-tight) Soooo,,,,no more lost holding pins.

Maybe you should spread the word "i will tap your hole" for free and not even charge you for it. Now that should turn some heads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Wow Claude, you must not know who you are conversing with!!! You can't argue with TJM...He is the jetboat god....you will loose everytime!!!....I got your back T....I think I'll have to stick with the bronze bushings..."fishon"
    Bob we know what you mean we all ready crossed paths with the same results. We are not here to argue with anyone on this or other great informative forums. Like I stated we like to give an alternative to the end user of any product making it better. I don't know where the failing pivot pin came into the picture we never stated that the stock pins failed. The stock pivot pins do wear as we have seen using aluminum bronze bushings. I don't know the outter bore of the bronze bushing being used that may be a problem changing them out to another type of bushing. Bob tell you what when and ready you decide to change out the bushing just let me know the outter diameter of the bronze bushings. If it looks like the polymer plastic bushing may fit you pm me your mailing and conact info I will forward you our bushing bolt pin kit as a promotion at no cost to you. We will be working on setting up a dealer in Anchorage carrying our products by spring. I appologize if anyone feels I strayed off the topic.

Claude:

Thanks Bob, but don't give me too much credit....most of the guys up here run the rivers pretty well...my only point was that bronze is indeed a good alternative....unlike what Claude says....

The polymer might be an even better alternative, I really don't know, but since Claude offered to send you a set for free you might as well test 'em out for everyone....the price is right, what do you have to lose?

I'll mic the OD of the bronze for you to send the measurements to him, I'm pretty sure they'd fit just fine....be sure to inquire how to secure the bushing to the bucket, I'm sure most any strong glue would do just fine...
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast