Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Does this moose have 3 brow tines?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    107

    Default Does this moose have 3 brow tines?

    This guy's middle tine is broken. Is he legal in a 3 brow tine area?
    DSCN2841.jpgDSCN2846.jpg

  2. #2
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    If the rules say it must be over an inch it looks like it should make that even broken?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  3. #3

    Default

    Nope.
    It must be longer than it is wide to be legal.
    It will make for a bad day when one busts a point off on the fall too.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,117

    Default

    Appears to be a shooter to me. Looks like it meets the 1" long requirement.
    BK

  5. #5
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Very close. It looks even, width/length, and has to be longer to count. Flip it around- if that brow palm were it, with that broken 3rd point he would be a legal fork. The points as you see them are what counts in most of the state; not what they would have been were they not broken off. With only that look, I would definitely not shoot. I would be smoking some shoe leather getting closer for a better look, though!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Nope.
    It must be longer than it is wide to be legal.
    It will make for a bad day when one busts a point off on the fall too.
    Not quite. It only has to be longer than it is wide, with the width measured at least 1" from the tip. If it is 5 inches long, and only 3 inches wide when measured 1" from the top, it is legal, even if it is 10" wide at the base.

  7. #7
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    This is the second thread about this moose. Quit beating yourself up for not taking the shot....LOL

    On another note.....GO PACK GO

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    This is the second thread about this moose. Quit beating yourself up for not taking the shot....LOL
    This question was more hypthetical. We were in a 4 brow tine area. But for future hunts, I sure whould hate to get my moose taken away because his tine was broken and he didn't satisfy the rules any more (at least 1
    long and longer than it is tall)

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    On another note.....GO PACK GO
    Now this I agree with...

  9. #9
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Not a 50" bull and the broken 3rd tine is too close to call, for me at least. I let this bull pass.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •