Thread: woodridge alaskan what engine

Default woodridge alaskan what engine

Looking into buying an alskan 17 what would be a good engine. Thinking about susuki df 140, etec 115, etec 150. Two to three people plus moose. Have cabin gas station 10 minutes away, mourning hunts and day trips.

What year? They changed the width on em and I think bumped up the hp rating at some point. I have one with. 90merc on it and it does pretty good but I would love to have a 115 hanging off the back.

I have the DF115 on my 17.5' Alaskan. I wish that I had bought the DF140 but the dealer was less than knowledgable and talked me out of it. My lastest experience was 3 guys with a full bull bou in the front. We never got on step. Moving people around didn't help. Dealer support is key on your engine choice.

If it is an older model, it is narrower than the 2006 and newer ones. I don't suggest putting a heavy motor on one, especially with a kicker motor. Too much weight on the rear. If it has the fuel tanks near the rear and not under the floor, it is even more weight prone.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Dirt, have you tried one of the wooldridge stainless impellers? Night and day difference on my rig!

I had a 2004 with a Yamaha 115/80, it was a great rig, EZ on fuel and handled very well, 3 humans and a moose......no way.
    If it had been the 60" bottom I would have kept it. My current boat has the Johnson/Suzuki 140 and it is a great motor, it does well on fuel also and I think its a few pounds lighter than the Yamaha 115/80. It is very quiet, which I really like, I think it would work well on a 60" Alaskan.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thumbs up Go with the 140..

What Gramps said.. If you have the 60" bottom, get the Zook!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Dirt, have you tried one of the wooldridge stainless impellers? Night and day difference on my rig!
    That is what mine came with. If you want to haul freight. Get a bigger boat.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks