Thread: New purchase: Kifaru, Six Moon Design, Integral Design, Golite, Henry Shires Tarptent

Default New purchase: Kifaru, Six Moon Design, Integral Design, Golite, Henry Shires Tarptent

After using some shotty and worn out gear this hunting season and getting wet and cold I've decided to get some new essential gear this year. So far I purchased the Ti Goat bivy, Mountain Hardwear bag, now shoppin for the tarp shelter.....
    I've been researching tarp shelter/tents for a week or 2 and have narrowed it down to the following:
    Kifaru Paratarp, Integral Designs, Henry Shires Tarptent, Golite and the Six Moon Designs poncho models.
    I really like each one and they all offer alittle something that the other doesn't. So if you have one or have owned one please chime in. I got a Kifaru Long Hunter and am leaning towards the paratarp just because I know the company and really like thier products and it is made in the USA. Needs to be under 1 lb and bomb proof, made in the USA is highly prefered and trecking pole setup a must too.

Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

I have a Kifaru Paratarp with annex and it stays in my pack always. Saved my bacon this sheep season.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That's exactly what I was considering, Paratarp and annex, but it's like 300.00. Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape is about half that and can be used as a poncho too. Do't know if it is made in the USA though. Did you use the paratarp as your tent on the sheep hunt or as backup? I plan on using a MSR Hubba Hubba as camp for sheep, goat and the tarp shelter and bivy combo if I get stuck out overnight if I happen to venture too far or weather turns bad. Nice pack, lightweight model. I got the black Gen 1 Kifaru Longhunter/hauler. **** tough packs, cargo chair works awesome as a camp chair I found out this caribou season...You got a Slick bag too?

Default I've used Six Moon Designs, Integral Designs, and Henry Shires

Was really pleased with all three companies. I used an I.D. Silshelter for a summer and a half. Did a great job at keeping me out of the weather. When it got buggy I added a bug bivy the first summer and switched to the Lunar Solo the second. Henry Shire's makes a lot of good models. I bought a Squall several years ago, have spent months in it in Alaska, and it has always kept me dry. I've used the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis and Lunar Solo. The Lunar Solo is my favorite of these shelters. I like the netting and floor and the way the fly carries the rainwater out away from the floor. For use with a bivy I'd choose the Wild Oasis instead and be confident with it. The shape of those latter shelters is good for shedding wind, too.

I'm not a bivy guy, but I guess with one you can get by with a little less on shelter. I don't think I'd call any of these shelters "bomber," but they will do what you need them to do if you are really smart about how and where you set them up. Did you see the article in the last Backpacker by chance where a guy was saying that tarps are useless? He used one once and it "ripped itself to pieces." Either that or he set it up in a full blast of wind!

If you haven't seen the Backpackinglight member reviews it's worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nelson View Post
    Was really pleased with all three companies. I used an I.D. Silshelter for a summer and a half. Did a great job at keeping me out of the weather. When it got buggy I added a bug bivy the first summer and switched to the Lunar Solo the second. Henry Shire's makes a lot of good models. I bought a Squall several years ago, have spent months in it in Alaska, and it has always kept me dry. I've used the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis and Lunar Solo. The Lunar Solo is my favorite of these shelters. I like the netting and floor and the way the fly carries the rainwater out away from the floor. For use with a bivy I'd choose the Wild Oasis instead and be confident with it. The shape of those latter shelters is good for shedding wind, too.

I'm not a bivy guy, but I guess with one you can get by with a little less on shelter. I don't think I'd call any of these shelters "bomber," but they will do what you need them to do if you are really smart about how and where you set them up. Did you see the article in the last Backpacker by chance where a guy was saying that tarps are useless? He used one once and it "ripped itself to pieces." Either that or he set it up in a full blast of wind!

If you haven't seen the Backpackinglight member reviews it's worth checking out.

Thanks for the info Buck, I also shot ya an email about some stuff. That Henry Shires in your blog looked really good, is that all you used for shelter on that trip?

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    Thanks for the info Buck, I also shot ya an email about some stuff. That Henry Shires in your blog looked really good, is that all you used for shelter on that trip?
    That was my only shelter and I slept dry every night, during a summer that some locals in Anaktuvuk Pass said was the rainiest they had ever seen. I like the Lunar Solo even more, though. When I did the Pacific Crest Trail in 2010 there was a big gathering in late April and I'd say most of the shelters were Henry Shire's and Six Moon Designs. There was a nearly unprecedented storm at that gathering. Some people found out that it's not only your shelter choice but how you use it!

Here's a pretty good gear test site which has some of the stuff you are look at. I am too looking at putting the $$ into good shelter and am researching heavily.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/

I'm not sure bombproof and under one pound is possible. I have an Integral Designs Sola that is bombproof but its heavy at 2 3/4 pounds. My current 1 pound shelter is a Six Moons Design Wild Oasis and its okay, but I sure wouldn't call it bombproof. The recommendation for the backpackinglight website for research in lightweight gear is a good one.

Since its winter and you have some time you might be interested in Andrew Skurka's new book on ultralight gear you can purchase off his website. I got mine in the mail a couple weeks ago, well the pre-edition copy, and I think he did a good job on state of the art ultralight gear.