Thread: catching herring...

Default catching herring...

Ive been wanting to do so for years, and finally this year I'd like to sport catch some herring suitable for pickling, smoking and such. I've been told Valdez might be a good spot try. Any suggestions?

there hasn't been much herring in the sound since 1989 there are probably a few in valdez left though, although I haven't been there recently. You can catch em with little teeny jigs off the docks of seward I think. You can also catch them under subsitence and personal use regulations in places I think. Kodiak, Southeast, and Norton sound come to mind when I think of herring.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It was good fishing at the Valdez city dock when the hatchery was in operation (they ground up the fish guts and pumped it into the bay) but it closed a few years ago. Since then I have tried catching them for bait 3 or 4 times June-Aug and I have not caught a single one. It was actually pretty fun to do. I used a 10 hook jig and it was not uncommon to catch 5 herring at a time when they were in.

Default herring

It's been a long time since I harvested personal use herring. Ketchikan used to have some good local spawns close to town. I would listen to the seiners and just wait for the spawn. I have a couple of favorite coves in the Ka-Shakes area that are productive. They like to spawn in eel grass. A small chunk of gillnet and a cork line works good. Then just drag the net to the beach and the work begins. Shake the herring off onto a tarp and load into plastic totes, take them home and freeze them. It's best to have some helpers. Herring eggs are sticky and make a good mess of your skiff.

Default Herring....

Wait till mid June....Launch at Whittier, go around the corner to the left by the end of the RR tracks 10 to 50 foot offshore. Use the teeny jig kits they sell at B&J's. Bring a few buckets, we'll see you there!

Also when we fish out of Kodiak, we catch our bait herring on bare stacked red hooks. great fun and free salmon / halibut bait.

Default Whittier correction

Duh....I meant to the right once out of the harbor.!!!!

Default thanks!

lots of good advice and tips. I hope I can get into some sometime this summer.

NOw is actually a pretty good time, they should start spawning soon
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.