Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nonresident moose hunter?

Default Nonresident moose hunter?

Have any of you taken nonresident hunters that were not family moose hunting?

If you did where they good hunters, were they serious about hunting? Would you do it again? How did you know they were telling the truth about there hunting skills?

Default Taking non-resident friend Moose hunting

I moved to Alaska in 1975. Home state was N.H. My friend was a Deer hunting buddy for years. We flew out and many days later (warm that year ) he harvested a 54 " Bull. I could have shot another later that day while packing meat. We both thought we had enough to split up and have a winter supply. Great time with my friend.

Just by virtue of being a "resident" does not make one a good Moose hunter. I've seen plenty of "residents" that would never make a good rat hunter, let alone a good moose hunter.

But to answer your question.... YES! I've seen "non-residents" show a resident what makes a good hunter....but I doubt the "resident" had the intelligence to realize that. wink

In 2006 I took a friend from Indiana hunting for moose. Our friendship started through business, not hunting so I had no idea of his abilities. However, our personalities were compatable. Once we found out we were both hunters we planned this hunt together. Even though he was 60 he claimed to go out west and hunt elk every year. I found this to be true, as he walked me into the ground. The hardest thing for me to convince him of was that he really didn't want to kill a moose more than a mile from camp. His attitude was an elk hunter attitude that covered a lot of ground. It was hard to convince him that calling and waiting was going to work. I ended up being right and called a moose into within 600' of camp. We had an agreement that any moose within 35 yards was mine to take with my bow. This moose ended up being in this range, but blocked by brush for me. I gave him the nod and he dumped the moose. Afterwards he agreed that he really didn't want to pack one far We had a good time and I'd do it again.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I would take a friend anyday. You can pick your friends but not your relatives!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post

If you did where they good hunters, were they serious about hunting? Would you do it again? How did you know they were telling the truth about there hunting skills?
    I've taken several nonresident friends hunting over the years, including this fall. To my recollection all of them were serious about hunting and were experienced hunters. Of course all of them needed some education about Alaska hunting and some species-specific info on how to hunt moose or what have you. As to knowing if they told the truth, that came from knowing them in other contexts. One was a friend I sort of grew up with in another state. I knew him to be a man of integrity, a very hard worker and a skilled woodsman. So I had no doubts as to his skills. A second was my father, and though I had not really hunted big-game with him before, I knew what to expect in the field and it was one of my best memories with him. The one from this fall was a former client who became a friend. So I was with him in the field before, and knew what he was going to be like.

There was a time when I would have been reluctant to hunt with a stranger from another state, but I was forced over that hurdle by guiding. I discovered that the vast majority of them were great folks to hunt with. Naturally they needed local knowledge and such, but for the most part it worked out well. I'm sure it helps that I'm really accommodating and tolerant in the field. I'm big on safety and ethics, but I usually cut people a lot of slack. It has worked well for me over the years.

Why do yo ask these questions? Do you have someone coming up?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I have taken several out of state residents moose hunting. I knew them all from other venues so I had a pretty good idea what I was in for. As Mike said- most needed some education on particular species, tactics or climate but that's simply lack of first hand knowledge and doesn't reflect poorly on them at all.

Would I take a non-resident that I didn't know at least moderately well hunting? Probably not, but that same statement goes for residents as well. Taking a total stranger into the field hunting sounds too much like guiding to me, regardless of where they might live.

Do I take people I know on hunting trips that have little or no field experience? Yes I do and I enjoy it a lot- but I've got a pretty good idea about their work ethic and our general personality compatability prior to going and set my (and their) expectations accordingly.

Yes.

I've had very positive experiences with hunting with non-residents. Yes, I'd take friends/family that were non residents hunting. Before addressing their hunting skills ... I look to see how they control their weapons. This can be accomplished during a trip to the range to re-zero the rifles. As for hunting, I also take interest in what gear they pack/bring.

I've taken resident hunters (other friends) that were less than serious about hunting, and this can be frustrating. I'll go camping with them again ... but will take those that are more interested/vested (those that have the specialty tags, or complimentary equipment (atv, motor home)) during the hunting season.

Old friend yes,someone I just met no.Someone you don't know well can get you in big trouble if something goes wrong.What you don't want to hear first thing if a problem pops up is the person saying he was guiding me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

As a non-resident who would love to come to Alaska for moose, I've always thought that a certified guide was required unless you were first-line family of a resident. From reading this post, it sounds like a resident can take a non-resident hunting for moose without the guide requirement. Is that the case?

RW

I took some caribou hunting, not moose hunting but the questions to be answered are the same. Would I take those particular people out again? Absolutely not. There were two of them, father and son. Stated that they always hunted and hunted deer etc. in the lower 48. I went over gear lists and weight restrictions for the fly out. I made them leave about 25-30 pounds of stuff in their car. The son loved to eat double portions of everything but demanded the caribou tenderloin be well done. The second time we had it we waited until they were still out in the field and then ate it without them. Complained because they were 100 from a small herd going by them after I took one because I screwed up their stalk and all they could see of the caribou was from the bottom of the chest up. Conversely, I took another guy out with us and it was great. Great attitude, did more than his share of camp chores with no problem, packed caribou back, and it was a great time. However, I learned my lesson and will have to know more about their attitude and abilities before I take someone with me.

=HereDuckyDucky;as a non-resident who would love to come to Alaska for moose, I've always thought that a certified guide was required unless you were first-line family of a resident. From reading this post, it sounds like a resident can take a non-resident hunting for moose without the guide requirement. Is that the case?

Hey Ducky, non-residents can indeed hunt moose without a guide. Guides are required for grizzly/brown bear, dall sheep, and mountain goats.

Bill,

Thanks for the clarification. I just went back and re-read the regs, and they confirm what you just wrote. This is awesome news! My wife and I have been traveling to SE for black bears for years, but we would really like to plan a moose trip in a few years.

Bringing this thread back on topic --> perhaps I can arrange to trade a hunt / fishing trip with someone on here. I'm not sure if anyone's interested in coming down to Washington, but it's an option.

RW

Long time lurker but haven't posted. My cousin's husband took me out moose hunting for the first time in 2006 in a non-motorized area. We've now hunted together five of the last six years, only missing one year when he couldn't go because of other obligations. It's a tough hunt and we now joke about how scary it was for him to bring someone he didn't know that well on this type of hunt.

By him taking a chance on me, he now has a regular hunting partner and I get to enjoy your great state each year. That said, if you know the person enjoyed hunting and has a good work ethic don't be afraid to take them just because they're not lucky enough to live in Alaska.

Now thats illegal to do.Read regs again guide/transporter
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have nobody in mind; I was just thinking it might be less of a problem taking someone from out of state than trying to find someone local. I have a partner, but he can only go hunting one time and I would like to go hunting more than once a year. I made a list of five areas I wanted to hunt, by the time the season ended. I was only able to hunt 4 days this year.

I have no intention in guiding in fact that one, of the problems I had with several guys in the passed. They said they knew how to hunt and end up following me around. They had no intention of wanting to know how to hunt.

The last I heard, unless the partner has his own equipment, atv, boat, or airplane, you need to split the meat and cost 50/50 to not be charged with being a guide.the last i heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Now thats illegal to do.Read regs again guide/transporter
    Which post/phrase are you referencing? and how is it illegal?

The last I heard, unless the partner has his own equipment, atv, boat, or airplane, you need to split the meat and cost 50/50 to not be charged with being a guide.the last i heard.
    If he gets a moose ... he can elect to give you (or anyone) any percentage of game meat (game meat transfer forms are in the regulation book). With respect to costs .... its best if the other hunter(s) pays his costs ... and you pay your costs.... so as to avoid the perception that the monies are some part of compensation

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Which post/phrase are you referencing? and how is it illegal?
    Here ducks

Because of the location I moose hunt all the gear and transportation I supply, so youíre saying he should pay nothing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast