Thread: OK..Which Surface Drive.

Default OK..Which Surface Drive.

OK. I am starting to see the advantages of the Surface drive. I run a 20 Honda 4 Stroke on my Hudson Bay and like the motor a great deal; but I often get into difficulties in shallow water. There are also places I can't go that I could go with a surface drive.

Now my confusion is which one? The Copperhead 18 looks tempting from a weight and dollar perspective. Reading some mudder forums some folks feel the mud buddy's 23's are more reliable and tougher.

I know nothing. Have never even seen one in person. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Which surface drive for an HB and why?

I asked the same question back in July. I was going to order a S-D, and actually got quotes from both MudBuddy and Copperhead. Proven durability is my No.1 criteria. There are several MBminis on Hudson Bays in the Fairbanks area, that have proven quite reliable. The Copperhead 18 is a new model. I chose the MB because other locals use it issue free. I'm satisfied I chose the best motor for my use.

North 61
    I've been running the 23 MB for a couple of seasons now..It's a skookum motor..
    I had the 20 hp Honda like you...loved that motor, but it wouldn't go up the shallows like my mud motor.
    I spent this moose season chasing " a big one " with my grandson..but we failed to locate said moose.
    We did however get a nice piece of mammoth ivory.
    You've read about the mileage and speed others are getting.
    I find the mud motor a very little bit more difficult to steer..but that's because of the distance it
    overhangs the stern. 27 inches?
    I'd not go back to a regular outboard.
    Maybe the big manufacturers will get the hint and really open the mud motor market up.

Thanks folks....I posted this before the, "other thread". Don't intend to stir things up.

How does the HB handle a 160 pound unit with a 27" over hang?

The 27" is the length of the drive shave which ends with the prop.

The HB handles the MBmini very well. My limited time this season with my HB/MB was without problem. Didn't get the rig together and into the water until 9/15, and shortly thereafter went on a solo with dog hunting trip - all totaling 13 hours. I was confident, and amazed at the increased efficiency of the combo, compared to my decade of experience with my beloved 19' Grumman/15 hp Yamaha/Klingel lift The MBmini has been in production since 2006. My concern is rugged durability, and, IMHO, the MBmini passes that test. The Copperhead 18 hp may be a fine unit, but I don't know of anyone in Alaska who has driven one, yet. Again, just MHO.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-09-2011 at 21:08. Reason: ommision

Thanks Rick.....I have all winter to research I guess. I love going off river to look for moose. I have no lift so I angle the Honda up towards the service and have a 2x4 with two eye-bolts that I bungee underneath the motor. This keeps the water cooling working but brings the motor up high, No cavitation at idle. Not very high tech nor is it quick to get into and out of lift mode. I think a MB mini would be pretty ideal! Pretty pricey though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The 27" is the length of the drive shave which ends with the prop.

The HB handles the MBmini very well. My limited time this season with my HB/MB was without problem. Didn't get the rig together and into the water until 9/15, and shortly thereafter went on a solo with dog hunting trip - all totaling 13 hours. I was confident, and amazed at the increased efficiency of the combo, compared to my decade of experience with my beloved 19' Grumman/15 hp Yamaha/Klingel lift The MBmini has been in production since 2006. My concern is rugged durability, and, IMHO, the MBmini passes that test. The Copperhead 18 hp may be a fine unit, but I don't know of anyone in Alaska who has driven one, yet. Again, just MHO.