Thread: New guy questions

Default New guy questions

My wife and I are moving up there next summer, after she gets out of collage. What are some of the biggest problems I might have in moving up there? How hard is it to find a place to rent/lease/buy? One of my biggest goals in moving up there is to hunt a lot, so I dint really want to be in Anchorage. I like Fairbanks location. I am a very good machinist, as well as a fabricator, welder, and a great taxidermist. I'm sure I can find a job doing something. I hope to pay for my hunting by doing taxidermy. Any tops or suggestions you guys can give me on moving up there?

Where exactly are you moving from? That will help with the responses.
    Lots of people can't deal with the cold in winter or the lack of daylight in winter also. Fairbanks get down to -40* and colder every winter and has days of very little daylight witch can cause some people to have sad (seasonal affective disorder) . If you are moving from a state that has snow and cold that will be less of an isue.
    Hunting areas on the road system can be crowded or at least they sometimes seem that way. Don't expect to hunt somewhere you didn't fly into and expect not to see other hunters.
    There are always jobs in AK for those who are willing to work. You may not land your dream job right away but give it patience and be prepared to work at whatever you can find until other opportunities present themselves.
    I do not live in fairbanks so I couldn't give you much info on that.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm moving from Arkansas. There was a day this summer where the temperature was 115 degrees. It was cooler in DEATH VALLEY!!! We get a little snow here but not much. As for hunting the road system, I don't really care about that. I would love to do a bunch of float trips. I'll hunt be myself or with someone else. I know ive got a lot to learn about hunting up there. I know there will be different tactics to learn. Plus, the bears there have a bad attitude!As for work, my dream job is anything that will pay the bills and still allow me time to hunt. I'm not dead-set on Fairbanks. I would be happy anywhere. I'm not hard to please. Thanks for the reply bro. I'll buy ya a beer when I get there.

I am sure you will have some fun adventures up here.
    It is also refreshing to hear that you are willing to do whatever it takes to make Alaska work.
    Some people just cannot make Alaska work. Some of them are dead set on one occupation that may or may not have an opening when they get here. Accepting a job whatever it is as long as it pays the bills allows you to get started and after a short while you may find the job you really want or at least a better one.
    Summer is the best time to arrive. There are the most jobs available and you have time to settle in a bit before winter.
    If you are interested in a slop job I recommend you look up not only the producers but also all of their contractors as thats who does most of the welding, and fabricating jobs. Especially if you are good and have the certs to back it up. Most welders are combo welders and weld tig,mig,and stick. Carbon and stainless. Especially pipe but we have asome structural welders as well.
    The company I am contracted out to requires our welders have a .5% or better failure rate. That is one failed X-Ray per 200 welds.
    Our shop is currently at .05% or one failure per 2,000 welds. Thats for all the welders and I believe there are 6 welders here per shift or so.
    Good Luck!
    I would look at the websites for ASRC,Peak Udelhoven and CH2Mhill. That would be a good place to start.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Everyone has bought a up a good point about working up here .I came up to retire after moving from the Texas and i walked into my current job over basically beening Ahole to the person who i had meet that day and was told by them if i could do better come and do it .Since i took the test and passed it and the person who i was beening a Ahole to is now my best friend up here for my line of work that i'm doing now .

So it does take time to get the job that you want along with remember some of the people who you meet are some pretty good people along the way when working with them .

Finding work here is more, who you know than what you know. If you are a hard worker you will do alright.

You mention your wife is finishing school. Does she plan to work? With your background it will be more about getting a foot in the door and networking pretty much anywhere you land. Depending on what your wife majored in and wants to do you may be more limited to locations where she can find work.

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    Everyone has bought a up a good point about working up here .I came up to retire after moving from the Texas and i walked into my current job over basically beening Ahole to the person who i had meet that day and was told by them if i could do better come and do it .Since i took the test and passed it and the person who i was beening a Ahole to is now my best friend up here for my line of work that i'm doing now .

So it does take time to get the job that you want along with remember some of the people who you meet are some pretty good people along the way when working with them .
    Just goes to show Aholes need friends too..........LOL
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Just goes to show Aholes need friends too..........LOL
    That day was a really bad day for me and i was not in the best of mood's and having to deal with the state and it issuse of dealing with moving my Texas LEO certificate to the state and we have a saying before we leave the office about have you gotten your Ahole mood set to ready to go

I'd say the biggest hurdle is $. Alaska is expensive to live in, and you'll end up buying alot of items you don't have, i.e. winter clothing, "toys" to access hunting and fishing etc. There is also the reality check on big game hunting in Alaska that a big game hunt is an expedition, it's expensive to get out to where the game is, and there isn't game around every clump of willows.

If you can afford Alaska, it's great. Just realize that many people find themselves in one of two places, a good paying job and not enough time off to enjoy the state, or alot of free time but no $ to enjoy the state.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.