Thread: Black Bear Trip Turned Winter Camping Adventure

Default Black Bear Trip Turned Winter Camping Adventure

Went black bear hunting last week and it snowed about 6" the first day. Probably more like a foot, but it was slush and ended up being about 6" of accumulation. It was very wet and cold and pushed the bears out of the valley we were to spend the week in unfortunately. Anyway, it was still fun and got to test my gear in the snow at least. North Face VE-25, SL-3 and Glacier Hunter all worked well.

The water saturated slush piled around the tent making a tub for the melted snow to accumulate in. The tent floor did it's job, at one time the puddle it was in was about 3" deep and no water got in. The SL-3 was used as a gear/cooking tent and worked great for that. It really sagged in the heavy snow, but no rips or tears. The Wiggy's Glacier Hunter was very comfy to sleep in and is now my favorite bag.

Last edited by stid2677; 10-09-2011 at 14:45.

Looks miserable. I saw that snow come in and wondered if you guys were getting hammered.

wow, where is this?

Kenai Mountains approx 2,500'

Wow, looks like a heck of the trip. Glad things worked out for you ok to still enjoy your trip.