Thread: Commercial Shrimp Season and another float sighting

Default Commercial Shrimp Season and another float sighting

I was out of Whittier today and it looks like the commercial guys are still shrimping. Can that be true? I had a commercial boat cut across my bow just out of Whittier and he was headed for a couple of buoys. I do not know if they were shrimp pots or not, but can they still shrimp this time of year?

Also, out at the mouth of Cochrane I pulled up to a buoy to see if there is a name on it and it was a Clarance Goward. If anyone knows him, let him know his float is visible at low tide. It was hanging vertically, so I assume it will go under at high tide. There was no phone number just a name and address that was faded pretty bad.

Commercial shrimping closed back in late july, maybe the guy was longlining? You should have grabbed the buoy and towed the gear into shallower water then at least the guy might? have a chance at going and getting it. I'd bet there is a LOT more gear with short buoylines still out there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Yea, I was out yesterday and there were a lot of buoys out still. I was thinking maybe crab pots, but I don't recall when that season opens. The ones I drove by were in around 500 feet of water.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Yea, I was out yesterday and there were a lot of buoys out still. I was thinking maybe crab pots, but I don't recall when that season opens. The ones I drove by were in around 500 feet of water.
    Sounds like crabbers. The PWS Subsistence Golden King and Tanner Crab season is October 1 - March 31.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I am new to running around PWS and after reading all the troubles people have with someone messing around with pots, I am sorry, but I am not going to touch someone pots or try to move them.

I did not know there was crabbing going on and maybe that is what he is doing. He just needs more rope by the look of it. Same with the commercial boat, I do not know what he was fishing for, just saw the pot markers. I had to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by REFAK View Post
    more rope.
    Cowboys use rope. Fishermen use line. : ) Cheers!

That must be why the very popular nautical knot is called a Bowline rather than a Bowrope! The Bowline makes sense, the Bowrope sound like something a macho bow hunting cowboy would use in place of a Bow-String!

(needed something to do for a min.)
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    Cowboys use rope. Fishermen use line. : ) Cheers!
    My wife, an ex commercial fisher woman (Berring Sea crabber, seining and tendering), give me grief about this all the time. I say, give me that rope, and she just looks at me like I am dumb... I say line and its in my hand.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

It's not rope its line. There's no right and left, its port and starboard. Kitchen is a galley. When looking for the bathroom, find the head, and if its plugged find the poopdeck? 1 mile is equal to 1.15 nautical miles, 1 fathom is 6ft, a shot of line is 15 fathoms or 90 ft. Live in the bite, you won't be a crab fisherman very long!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    It's not rope its line. There's no right and left, its port and starboard. Kitchen is a galley. When looking for the bathroom, find the head, and if its plugged find the poopdeck? 1 mile is equal to 1.15 nautical miles, 1 fathom is 6ft, a shot of line is 15 fathoms or 90 ft. Live in the bite, you won't be a crab fisherman very long!

That's actually 1 nautical mile is equal to 1.15 miles! That's what you get after getting off a 12 hour wheel watch!

Piscor Ergo Sum