Thread: Float Fishing

Default Float Fishing

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and love the info here, wow you guys know your fishing. At any rate, I have been fishing for salmon and steelhead in the Lake Ontario tribs in NY for 8 years or so. Would like to know what kinda of setup to use off the George Parks area. My first trip to AK will be in summer of 08 and its just killing me . Most of the time fish with a float (aka bobber, indicator) , even for salmon. Sometimes its rough because of the ''combat fishing'' has left the salmon and steelhead with lockjaw. We use bait (egg sacks, skein mostly) as well as artificials like glo bugs, egg sucking leaches, stoneflies even jigs when the moment is right.

1) will this arsenal of lures suffice or do I need to expand a little, of course need to get some AK roe first.

2) I centerpin mostly, will an IM8 4-8 float rod handle reds, silvers and trout. It whoops a 20# NY king nicely, but its still a NY king and not in the combat zone.

3) Plan on bringing a 6wt for Pinks/Trout and 8 wt for the rest (not kings).

Thanks for the advise. And I hope I can help in the same.

float fishing is the best way to catch salmon besides fly rods. 8wts are fine for kings as long as they are cheap (expensive rods have a habit on breaking for some reason)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Float Fishing

I love float fishing myself, but you have to have some room usually for a good long drift. It's nearly impossible when combat fishing.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Same problem here in NY. I pin so i can set the hook on even a 75' drift. Its nice to know the fish hit the lure and not lined, though there is a time and place for everything. When the salmon are gone, thats when the float fishing is good. Thanks for the info, gonna have to do my homework and plan the trip around avoiding crowds. Kinda the plan to start with .

I don't have problems getting good drifts in combat zones
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.