Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Kenai River...again....

Default Upper Kenai River...again....

Well I had a half day so I hit the Upper Kenai again. Only fished three hours but the weather was nice and I caught some quality fish!

Started with an 8mm mottled pink bead and landed a whitefish and lost a small rainbow.

Frustrated that I couldn't hook anything on flesh flies, I decided to stick with a flesh fly untilI caught something. Well what do you know! They work!!! Landed two nice rainbows with the biggest going 25+ inches.

I can already tell this flyfishing thing is going to take years to master. I bet 2/3 of my casts are ineffective with drag and placement. I have no idea what I am doing or even trying to do. I seem to fish where others don't. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. I see a lot of folks fishing faster water and my casting isn't good enough that I get about a 5 sec drift and I have to cast again. So I seem to look for the slower moving water wherever I can find it.

A little longer than my normal videos...apologies in advance!

Now I have to go get into my tuxedo for a dinner banquet. UGHHH....waders and drysuits are SO MUCH more fashionable and looks SO MUCH BETTER on me!!!

yep you need a bigger net! Looks like you are kind of taking a liking to that never before fished water tell last week. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    yep you need a bigger net! Looks like you are kind of taking a liking to that never before fished water tell last week. Good job!
    Well it is a great October diversion with a chance at decent fish. Besides I hate it when I don't know what I am doing. I will hit it pretty hard I am sure until I feel a bit more comfortable about my skills. It's one reason I haven't started my feeder king pursuit in Homer. Too hard to concentrate on both!

I think I may just skip the net but I am thinking it'd be easier to release the fish unharmed.

I got a tip on another forum about large articulated flesh flies and I think it was you who had posted on another topic that while beads work in mid to late October, that the later it gets the more of a flesh bite it becomes. I noticed the water was murkier than the last time out so instead of 6mm beads, I'd throw the largest most visible thing that might work. Articulated flesh fly!! A little tough to throw on my 4wt but the results were acceptable! So I have you to at least thank in part for my success! So thanks Power drifter!

Looks like you need to add a little to your measuring stick too, whenever you upgrade the net..

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

dem some nice trout there kard.Sounds like your getting a handle on that upper river.Keep at it....
    oh yeah......got any pictures of you in a tux.......that could be interesting..............or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    dem some nice trout there kard.Sounds like your getting a handle on that upper river.Keep at it....
    oh yeah......got any pictures of you in a tux.......that could be interesting..............or not.
    Uh...no. I purposely avoid pictures like that. Don't want anyone getting the wrong idea that just because of my job and what I wear, that I am some soft skinned corporate wimp. Now if someone can convince me that wearing my tuxedo on the river is going to help me land that 30+ incher...then you'll get to see a pic of me in tux!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Looks like you need to add a little to your measuring stick too, whenever you upgrade the net..
    I agree. Only a few more inches left on the measuring stick and I am still a complete novice! Now THAT is a problem I love...fish too big for my gear! Well only if the family CFO lets me rectify that situation.

What do you think? I think I also need to step up to a 6wt from my 4wt. lol.

Ha I think you definitely need to step up to a 6 or 7. Its a lot easier on the fish and when you do hook that 30+ you won't be wishing you had a 6 or 7. But mainly it helps not having to fight a fish for so long. I would upgrade when you can.

Awesome fish by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Slayintrout View Post
    Ha I think you definitely need to step up to a 6 or 7. Its a lot easier on the fish and when you do hook that 30+ you won't be wishing you had a 6 or 7. But mainly it helps not having to fight a fish for so long. I would upgrade when you can.

Awesome fish by the way!
    Thanks! Easier on me AND the fish! Sounds like a no brainer! I've got a 4wt Gloomis, 5wt cabelas pack rod, and a 9wt St Croix for kings and reds. Hmmmm 6 or 7? I always thought anything much more than a 4 or 5wt was overkill for trout...until I caught these!

I'm going SHOPPING! Dang, I sound like my ex.....

Anyone know any good places with end of year clearance stuff going on middle end rods (say less than $300)????

Check with Mossy's fly shop on Tues. He will get you set up. I am sure he has something in your price range.

Great video. Thanks for sharing. I feel sorry for you. I know how hard it is to video tape and fish/hunt at the same time.

Great job Rudy!

Check with Mossy's fly shop on Tues. He will get you set up. I am sure he has something in your price range.
    If what typically happens when I walk into a sporting good store happens here, you should collect a commission!

"Yah yah, just running in for a pack of splitshots." $500 later I am thinking "**** that was some expensive lead...but I know I need all that other stuff anyways so I am saving my valuable time!" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Great video. Thanks for sharing. I feel sorry for you. I know how hard it is to video tape and fish/hunt at the same time.
    Lol. It can be a pain and I haven't done half of the things I want to do yet. But this footage is easy with the headmounted gopro. 16gig card, extra batteries. Hit the button when I hook and its all good. The pain is editing out the hours of not catching anything and editing out and censoring a lot of stuff when I screw up!

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Great job Rudy!
    Thank ya! I am kicking myself in the head for not doing this sooner. 1971! I moved to Kenai in 1971 and now live in Anchorage! I will give credit to the dipnet fishery. It has made me a more well rounded fisherman than the old meat fishing I concentrated on pre-dipnetting. Now it's one day for "meat", keep a few more fish for variety other than the reds. And now I can go fishing, video stuff and not worry about losing the fish. Age probably mellows a person a bit as well!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Yeah yeah...I still wanta see you in a tuxedo.I promise not to make fun ....

Awesome fish by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post

If what typically happens when I walk into a sporting good store happens here, you should collect a commission!

"Yah yah, just running in for a pack of splitshots." $500 later I am thinking "**** that was some expensive lead...but I know I need all that other stuff anyways so I am saving my valuable time!" lol.

Hey Slayin trout, go ask Mike for your commission! lol. Well I did get out of his shop for under 5 bills so all is good. Ack! I got busted the instant I walked into the door of my house...that was no fun... but I know this set up is going to be a LOT of fun. It's worth it I am SURE.

Mossy's was a great shop and great service. Didn't up sell me, listened to my rookie talk, and set me up with what I think is going to be the perfect rod for me at this stage of my fly fishing. I probably should have cast the rods but I don't know what I am doing yet anyways so might as well let an expert pick a rod from my description and I can get the feel for the rod from there. A little backwards I know but I think it's the best approach for me at this time.

10' 6wt Echo ion, Lamson guru 3.0, WF6F Rio Grand line.

Not only do I think it's going to be a great flyrod for big trout but I think I have another great use for it. Ok, purists don't freak out, but I think it's going to be a great ultralight mooching/downrigger trolling rod for silvers in the salt from my yak. My 4wt worked ok for the couple of silvers I caught this year on it but I think this is going to be better suited for it. I may need an extra spool or a cheaper reel since the Lamsons are sealed and I'd rather just not keep changing out the spools since in that application I run straight mono.

I can't wait! Too bad I work Saturday and fly out of state Sunday for a few days. But I bet I can manage a half day trip sometime soon! That's what leave days are for..right?

Rudy, Sounds like a nice new 6weight set up. You will love that Guru. I have a couple of them plus an extra spool. What do you mean when you said they are sealed?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Rudy, Sounds like a nice new 6weight set up. You will love that Guru. I have a couple of them plus an extra spool. What do you mean when you said they are sealed?
    I read that to change the spool there is an O ring gasket that seals the gears from the outside. I haven't looked yet but there were extra instructions like light grease and stuff if you change out spools a lot. I've learned over the years that with items/instructions like that, I'm just better off leaving it alone though I am sure it's designed for spool removal and change out. It's probably no big deal.

here's the instruction pamphlet. no laughing! for important stuff, I do read directions...most of the time!

Yes I am aware of the O ring seal. I guess I thought you thought they where not able to be opened up. I don't change spools out much and not sure if it's worth the cost as it is half the cost again of another reel. Great drag on them you will be happy. Look forward to your next report. Fish-on!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post

Hey Slayin trout, go ask Mike for your commission! lol. Well I did get out of his shop for under 5 bills so all is good. Ack! I got busted the instant I walked into the door of my house...that was no fun... but I know this set up is going to be a LOT of fun. It's worth it I am SURE.

Mossy's was a great shop and great service. Didn't up sell me, listened to my rookie talk, and set me up with what I think is going to be the perfect rod for me at this stage of my fly fishing. I probably should have cast the rods but I don't know what I am doing yet anyways so might as well let an expert pick a rod from my description and I can get the feel for the rod from there. A little backwards I know but I think it's the best approach for me at this time.

10' 6wt Echo ion, Lamson guru 3.0, WF6F Rio Grand line.

Not only do I think it's going to be a great flyrod for big trout but I think I have another great use for it. Ok, purists don't freak out, but I think it's going to be a great ultralight mooching/downrigger trolling rod for silvers in the salt from my yak. My 4wt worked ok for the couple of silvers I caught this year on it but I think this is going to be better suited for it. I may need an extra spool or a cheaper reel since the Lamsons are sealed and I'd rather just not keep changing out the spools since in that application I run straight mono.

I can't wait! Too bad I work Saturday and fly out of state Sunday for a few days. But I bet I can manage a half day trip sometime soon! That's what leave days are for..right?
    That's a great setup! You won't be disappointed!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Awesome I am glad you checked out Mossy's! Mike is a great guy! He wont steer you wrong and is always helpful! You will love that setup. Echo rods are awesome for the money! 10ft rod is the way to go too.IMO

Cool video. So did you get a bigger net? I'll bet you find you get more solid hook-ups on the heavier, 10' stick while drifting and indicating beads and flesh. It'll pick up the line faster and with more authority, causing more and better hook-sets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast