Thread: engine overhaul shop

Default engine overhaul shop

had a prop strike on my o320 b2b got about 1500 hours since overhaul  looking for a reliable shop to inspect and overhaul any good shops and any to stay away from   thanks

Just had cylinder work done. Everybody out here that I talked to said B&J or Alaskan Aircraft Engines. Good luck.

IMO it's a real toss up out here in the valley. Both Mad Mikes and BJ's have excellent reputations for a good rebuild and for standing by their work. Hard call in my opinion.

Both local shops are great, consider Lycon in CA too, they have a REALLY good rep and can do some mods that will increase the power and longivity and reliability all at the same time. The down side is that you have to ship, but that isn't so bad either.

Just my $.02

me too batman...'cept its my 180.

B&J is doing the work/inspection. A month earlier, they enlarged #3 cylinder because of a valve leak and put in new rings etc. .015" larger I was told.

Also, Allsworth at MRI is good. Either one wld work for ya. Prob the best two in Ak.

Be aware that if the crank is bent or damaged it will cost more. For my Continental, 0-470K, it wld be $4500 yellow tagged or $5400 new. If the cam is pitted too bad you might need another one if it can't be polished. For my engine that's $1500.

Let us know who you use and how it turned out.

rick

Rooster 1 and RocketRick,

No offense, but would you mind sharing your experiences/lessons learned during your prop strikes. Would be very beneficial to others. If not, that is OK too.

Thanks in advance.
    Brett