Thread: Beyond my abilities, Old Cabin repairman needed

Default Beyond my abilities, Old Cabin repairman needed

I have an old log cabin circa late 1930's that has been neglected for a long time. I looked into trying to keep it patched up but that appears to be a loosing battle. It has been in the family a long time. At one point it could have been put on the historic register. I am thinking I would like to try and get it restored to its original shape. So I am looking for advice on someone who would be good for this type of work. Of course it is off the road system. And the strip is not big enough for an otter. It is a three hour one way snowmachine ride from the nearest trail head when a trail is made.

Thanx

Sending you a P.M.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Just for grins how about posting a picture of your cabin, I'd like to see what a classic Alaska cabin looks like.
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Here are a few. Apparently I can only do two pics a post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Round Two. You can tellthe main cabin was added too at some point. The main cabin was well built and seems allot better off than the rear half. Also it appears that the porch was added too just from the roof line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

polardds,
    Thanks for posting the pictures, I can see why you want to restore the place, it's classic. It's interesting, I like upland hunting with old classic doubles. Friends poke fun at me but man, if these old guns could talk the stories they could tell, plus they take me back to simpler days of my youth (I was fortunate to begin hunting in the early 60's before it was "politically incorrect"). I get that same sort of feeling looking at your cabin.
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdoc View Post
    polardds,
    Thanks for posting the pictures, I can see why you want to restore the place, it's classic. It's interesting, I like upland hunting with old classic doubles. Friends poke fun at me but man, if these old guns could talk the stories they could tell, plus they take me back to simpler days of my youth (I was fortunate to begin hunting in the early 60's before it was "politically incorrect"). I get that same sort of feeling looking at your cabin.
    Steve
    I agree with Rockdoc, quite the classic Old Cabin, of course I really watched and read the book of Dick Proenneke's cabin build with great interest. Is the base of the cabin wood OK or is it rotten? If it has a good base you might be able "rebuild". Good luck

You can see the dirt they piled up. The bottom support logs are rotten. They need to be replaced. The newer back half is probably a lost cause. It was added later and was not built with as much skill as the front half.

I figured you had rotted bottom logs, after 70 years something had to give. It looks like a pretty straight forwards repair, the big problem being the lack of access. I imagine you could move in supplies and materials in the winter when everythingís frozen up and then do the repairs when the weather warms. A couple of steel beams and hydraulics jacks would make quick work of lifting the unrotted parts of the cabin off of the rotted bottom logs and then replace with new logs and lower it back down. I figure you might want to pour concrete footings around the bottom to protect the new logs from rotting. I may be way off here,but thatís how Iíd tackle it if it were mine. Iím not in the construction trades, I just have a God-given ability to be able to fix most anything. I'm really curious to hear how the local experts would do tackle the needed repairs.
    Steve

That is a neat old cabin sure hope you get her rebuilt and keep it in the family.

That's just awesome. My favorite part of exploring Alaska is crossing paths with relics from days past. Don't see too many old cabins
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Check out the Skwentna Roadhouse restoration move done last year by DNR. Similar building, very remote, replaced all the lower logs, moved the building and it is now habitable. I think they used an expert who works for USFWS on the kenai Refuge.

Default Cabin

The thing to do would to go in yet this fall with someone that could help you put together a material list that would be needed then freight it this winter. Then you could go back in with someone next summer and do the repairs. I do not know if he would take on the project but try contacting Jay Friesen @746-2082 I think that he would be a good man for the job. Good luck