Thread: New Ruger Model 96/22mag misfires

Default New Ruger Model 96/22mag misfires

So I got a NIB model 96 22 mag about 9 months ago and have had misfires with all types of ammo in it. The frequency has fallen off the more I have shot it and it happens about one in twenty now. I have pulled it down and cleaned all factory grease out of it and lighly lubed it with tri-flow. When the gun was fresh out of the box winchester dyna points would not fire 50%. Every shell has been struck and if the gun is re-cocked without extracting shell completely it has always fired on second strike. Any suggestions. I know rimfires are more prone to misfires but are 22 mags worse than 22 LR. One out of twenty is not an acceptable failure rate in a hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    So I got a NIB model 96 22 mag about 9 months ago and have had misfires with all types of ammo in it. The frequency has fallen off the more I have shot it and it happens about one in twenty now. I have pulled it down and cleaned all factory grease out of it and lighly lubed it with tri-flow. When the gun was fresh out of the box winchester dyna points would not fire 50%. Every shell has been struck and if the gun is re-cocked without extracting shell completely it has always fired on second strike. Any suggestions. I know rimfires are more prone to misfires but are 22 mags worse than 22 LR. One out of twenty is not an acceptable failure rate in a hunting rifle.
    I'm a big fan of the 22 magnum. what you are dealing with is not a big deal at all and is very easily fixed. If you'd like, I'd be more than willing to help you with the rifle. If not, than you can do it on your own. 22 magnum cases are harder than 22 lr. The force of the firing pin is not concentrated enough. The surface area of the firing pin is too large. I've experienced this with almost every 22 magnum I've ever owned. Here is what you can do:

Disassemble the rifle and remove the firing pin if possible. Bevel a slight 45 degree angle on the two longer sides of the firing pin. Do this ONLY on the exposed edge of the firing pin that strikes the rim to detonate the rimmed primer. The force of the firing pin will now ensure ignition of the rimfire cartridge.

Here is another thing to try: Switch to Federal premium target FMJ's for hunting (no meat damage). The 50 grain game-shok also have less problems and don't damge the meat as they are heavier and slower than other 22 mag loads. The 50 grain game shok is what I used for home defense. I think the brass is softer, or the primer is more explosive with all Federal 22 mag.

Please let us know how it turns out, I've dealt with this too but fixed it every time.

Default Sounds like sound advice

Thanks
    That sounds like good advice, I really like the caliber also I have shot the federals with just a few misfires. The thinning of the head of the firing pin sounds logical and doable.
    thanks again I'll let you know
    Bob

Interesting!!

I pulled the bolt on my reasonably new CZ 455 22 Mag and it has a round striker on the firing pin rather than rectangle that I have on my other 22 mags. That would give a smaller surface for the striker on the 22 amg rim. I have not had any misfires with that gun shooting a variety of different ammo. I use PMC Predator a lot since I have a case of them and they are very accurate in the CZ. My Stainless Marlin 880's also handle most ammo as well. I will keep the fix in the back of my mind in case any of them begin misfiring. Thanks!!

I would look to the firing pin shape and ability to move first. When I was growing up I had access to buying "seconds" from Federal. On 22 ammo they would test fire one every 500 rounds down the chute and if it failed they pulled 250 on each side and made them available to employees. Point is, in shooting many thousands of these seconds, I did not have ANY not fire using several different guns. I have to conclude that they were testing with extremely light springs, I have no idea of the shape of the pin. They may have changed their testing in the LONG time it has been since I was using these but the confidence I have in 22 primers firing is huge.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Pulled firing pin

So I pulled the firing pin and found three different possible contributors for the misfires. The pin did not slide smoothly through either end of the bolt and was showing signs of rubbing especially where it goes throught the back of the bolt. Both have been polished to travel through bolt smoothly now. I did narrow the pin where it strikes ever so slightly also, but wanted to see if polishing the pin fixed the problem. The face of the pin where it strikes the rim is not flat as I would have thought it should be, it has a high spot on the outside edge that I considered taking off with a stone but am going to try it at the range first to see if the problem is resolved. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know after I get a chance to shoot it next week.

Default Problem is fixed

So the problem is fixed and we used the gun to take two foxes on Kodiak last week thanks again Ak mainer for the tips. A pic of a big cross and the model 96. I am really starting to like this litttle gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    So the problem is fixed and we used the gun to take two foxes on Kodiak last week thanks again Ak mainer for the tips. A pic of a big cross and the model 96. I am really starting to like this litttle gun.
    Great picture Bob.

I'm glad to hear your gun is fixed. Can't beat that 22 mag ehh? How many rounds does that short-throw levah hold? Is it a 10 round mag? That same little carbine with the 50 grain hollow points would make a dandy little home defense gun. What type of bullet did you use on the foxes? What was the range and how did the bullet perform? When my carbine aint loaded with 40 grain FMJ's for hunting, it's loaded with 13 50 grain hollowpoints in the house, and the Taurus with 8 hollowpoints. I figure that living in a neighborhood, it won't over penetrate or cause harm to other people and their homes.

I like this gun author's style, no tack-geardo nerd AR's for me

Federal 50 gr. hollow points, both fox were under 30 yards and the bullets exited both fox. Neither went anywhere. Sadly I missed a 100 yard shot on the cross I would have liked to see the performance from there. The magazine holds 9 so ten with one in the chamber.