Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three brow tine, spike fork 50, legal/not legal with harvest tag?

Default Three brow tine, spike fork 50, legal/not legal with harvest tag?

I passed, I like my rifle way too much.. but I did count, one two three. Legal with harvest tag?.. I left it to an any bull tag guy. Thoughts?

I can tell you what a trooper said later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the GMU allows 3 brow tine on atlases one side then yes - that's a legal bull with a harvest tag.

That rack however is tricky because it doesn't have a set of brow on the left side that is absolutely separate, it blends with the palms.

I'd hafta pass.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'd say good choice on passing. That third point off to the left of the brow tines (on the picture taken from above) doesn't qualify as a brow tine to the best of my understanding. Not legal from my perspective.

That would be a hard one to call at 100-200 yds
    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I had a good discussion with a state trooper this year about a bull moose that was very much like this on pictured. You bring up a good point. A point that I think needs better clarification in the hunting regs. The bull I am referring to was a bull that was about 52-53" so it barely qualified by length, but the brow tines had 3 brow tines (for sure) in a 4 brow tine area, and possibly a 4th brow tine that was an "in betweener" point located about midway between the other 3 brows and the actual palm. The way the trooper explained it was by using an analogy of a tree and how a tree has separate branches that branch away from the main trunk. The way he described it, when you look at the blood vessel lines on the antler, if the blood vessel lines run in the same branch as the actual brow tines, then it is considered a brow tine. If it has its own separate vein or branch, then it does not qualify as a brow tine. I found this line of reasoning very interesting and I am surprised that we are all expected to know about this and yet there is no information about this in the hunting regs. Shouldn't it be a little more clearly explained? According to this trooper, that bull you have pictured would DEFINITELY be illegal in a 3 brow tine, 50 inch area, and you would be cited. To him it was black and white.

IMHO, he only has 2 brow tines on the right and the left side has "no bay" so no browtimes on the left. After zooming in to the photo, he might have 1 brow tine on the left.

NOT LEGAL to me with a harvest tag in a 3 brow tine, over 50 area.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I would call that a 2 x 2 brow tine. I believe the third tine from the bottom on the left antler is a bay tine. You did the correct thing IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I had a good discussion with a state trooper this year about a bull moose that was very much like this on pictured. You bring up a good point. A point that I think needs better clarification in the hunting regs. The bull I am referring to was a bull that was about 52-53" so it barely qualified by length, but the brow tines had 3 brow tines (for sure) in a 4 brow tine area, and possibly a 4th brow tine that was an "in betweener" point located about midway between the other 3 brows and the actual palm. The way the trooper explained it was by using an analogy of a tree and how a tree has separate branches that branch away from the main trunk. The way he described it, when you look at the blood vessel lines on the antler, if the blood vessel lines run in the same branch as the actual brow tines, then it is considered a brow tine. If it has its own separate vein or branch, then it does not qualify as a brow tine. I found this line of reasoning very interesting and I am surprised that we are all expected to know about this and yet there is no information about this in the hunting regs. Shouldn't it be a little more clearly explained? According to this trooper, that bull you have pictured would DEFINITELY be illegal in a 3 brow tine, 50 inch area, and you would be cited. To him it was black and white.
    And I thought trying to count growth rings on a ram was tough!

I would pass. Definitive separation between the two brow tines and the separate no mans land tine make it in my opinion not a shooter. The other antler does not have a brow branch distinctive enough for me to consider as brow tines. Good call on the pass.

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    So now we need x-ray glasses to see where the veins run?

2009 bull.jpgIn this photo, does the tine on the right side come out in the bay that seperates the palm from the brow tines or would it be considered a fourth brow tine? Not hijacking just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    2009 bull.jpgIn this photo, does the tine on the right side come out in the bay that seperates the palm from the brow tines or would it be considered a fourth brow tine? Not hijacking just curious....
    I would call that bull a 3x4
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    I passed, I like my rifle way too much.. but I did count, one two three. Legal with harvest tag?.. I left it to an any bull tag guy. Thoughts?

I can tell you what a trooper said later.
    You made the right choice. This bull is clearly not 50" and has 2x2 brow tines

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    3x4 brows on your bull.

These are good threads and can be very educational. I dont want to hijack this thread, but I am going to throw in a couple of pictures that go right along with this topic.

Would you shoot this moose in a 3 brow tine area?

How about now?

How about this one. How many Brow tines do you count.

Both bulls above were obviously legal or else I would not have photos of them What do you think? I will reveal the official ruling after a few of your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    These are good threads and can be very educational. I dont want to hijack this thread, but I am going to throw in a couple of pictures that go right along with this topic.

Would you shoot this moose in a 3 brow tine area?

How about now?

How about this one. How many Brow tines do you count.

Both bulls above were obviously legal or else I would not have photos of them What do you think? I will reveal the official ruling after a few of your opinions.
    Both legal in a 3 brow area and both 3x3s, also good examples of the blood vein method, a tine originating in or after the bay is not a brow tine.

Steve
    Founding Member

The "blood vein method" is hog wash that can only be used on a desktop. The wide bay works but on a very unusual configuration if their is a question the troopers should default in favor of the hunter who had to make the call in the field. Legal hunters making every effort to distinguish brow tines should not be treated like criminals. 50" is 50" cut and dry. No wide bay, count very conservatively. The initial bull in post i would call 2x2, the next one I probably would have mistakenly let it walk but it's 3x3 and unusual.
    Now try this one.

Couple more looks

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    Now try this one.
    I would call that one 0x4. Did F&W make a call on that one?

I only see 2 brow tines. On the first one.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

same, two brow tines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast