Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives for Felt?

Default Alternatives for Felt?

Probably the right time of year to get some discounted wading shoes.

What are the best alternatives for felt in order prevent slipping and sliding?

thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Basically the choices are: spike (or studs), chains (strap on appliance) or sticky rubber soles. Korkers sells a strap on "studded" appliance. Most wadding boota I've seen only put spike on soles that are already felt covered. Maybe someone will offer just spiked soles or maybe someone already does. I've read reviews that spoke highly of the compound used on Simms boots.
    I've had limited sucess in gluing indoor/outdoor carpet to the soles of unfelted waders, but am not sure whether they would be considered to be the same as "felt" soles (from a legal standpoint).

Thanks Gary. I believe the compound you are thinking of is 'vibram'?
    Ive been looking at reviews this morning and they all seem positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Basically the choices are: spike (or studs), chains (strap on appliance) or sticky rubber soles. Korkers sells a strap on "studded" appliance. Most wadding boota I've seen only put spike on soles that are already felt covered. Maybe someone will offer just spiked soles or maybe someone already does. I've read reviews that spoke highly of the compound used on Simms boots.
    I've had limited sucess in gluing indoor/outdoor carpet to the soles of unfelted waders, but am not sure whether they would be considered to be the same as "felt" soles (from a legal standpoint).

I went to the Simms Vibram 2 years ago. It sure is not felt and would get the spiked versions in the future. I know the regualr soles don't hold well in some CO. slick streams. I have taken my fair share of falls

if ur soles can acomodate, how abt sheetmtl screws? works 4me on ice.

I have been tossing the idea of stripping the felt off of my Redingtons and using a spiked ice cleat over the soles. I did buy a pair of Korkers with spiked and regular soles and the regular ("sticky type") soles and they are very slippery on mossy rocks. The cleats are not bad but not as nice as the felt.. Using the ice cleats I can still get some life out of my other boots..

Short sheet metal screws or purpose made spikes work very well. I have the spikes on my boots and they stick to rocks really well.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

ther ugo soda, 3 xperiences spk favorably of the spyk on rock. them reviews..??? it does figur tho that sharp metal wud penetrate thru moss mor than soft rubbr nubs.

Dear 'hkr,"

The really nice thing about computers, and this web site is the ability to use spell check. On a "PC," you can use the "F" keys, for example- F7 is spell check. On an Apple (RIP Steve), it is "ctrl" right click on your mouse.

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and the soldiers that keep America free.

Hoowha!

Aluminum screws or spikes should be great. Look how well aluminum canoes stick to rocks.

Vibram used to be a specific sole pattern that appeared in the 60's, so Simms may be using that pattern with a particularly soft and sticky material.

For Alaska rivers in the MatSu and Kenai the plain rubber works ok, but even felt with studs has been insufficient in many areas of the west in late summer.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Dear 'hkr," The really nice thing about computers, and this web site is the ability to use spell check. On a "PC," you can use the "F" keys, for example- F7 is spell check. On an Apple (RIP Steve), it is "ctrl" right click on your mouse. If you can read this, thank a teacher, and the soldiers that keep America free. Hoowha!
    thnku 4 that bit of info, but im not stuk on english rules. "PC"? shorcuts sur r nic eh?

There is nothing that compares to felt, especially felt with studs. It is ridiculous that we can't wear them in the name of cross-contamination, when there are so many other sources (ie boats, plane floats, the rest of the boot, gravel guards etc). That said, the Sims vibram is okay, but not great. I've had them 2 years. Much better though with the aluminum studs,which I prefer to the carbide or sheet metal type.

Ive come to the conclusion that I have to accept that nothing will compare to felt, and then I can go pick a pair of wading shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by GOL View Post
    There is nothing that compares to felt, especially felt with studs. It is ridiculous that we can't wear them in the name of cross-contamination, when there are so many other sources (ie boats, plane floats, the rest of the boot, gravel guards etc). That said, the Sims vibram is okay, but not great. I've had them 2 years. Much better though with the aluminum studs,which I prefer to the carbide or sheet metal type.

Been using the Simms studded rubber soled boots for 6 years now and feel they are far superior to felt. IMHO
    They especially shine in the winter (no more platform soles at the end of the day). LOL

Simms Vibram soles are very comfortable and great for trails and gravel. This is fine for 90+% of Alaska fishing. But for the greased bowling balls in some western rivers like the Madison, felt is by far the best. In fact Simms Vibram without added cleats is downright dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Probably the right time of year to get some discounted wading shoes.

What are the best alternatives for felt in order prevent slipping and sliding?

thanks
    I've been thinking about coating my felts in Herculiner. Not sure if that would be "legal" but I thought I would try it and see what happens, if it turns out bad it can be cut off with the felt and then try lining the boot without the felt. If that fails I suspect i'll just go back to old shoes, worked fine when I was a poor college student!

It still irritates me that the felt ban only applies to "sport fishing in freshwater" and not hunters, miners, or ANY other person walking around the same creek as you or I. If I have a gun in hand, it's ok to wear felt. If I have a rod in hand, it's illegal. Come on, let's at least be consistent.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    If you can read this, thank a teacher, and the soldiers that keep America free.
    Hey thanks for the props, Lynx. I am a teacher and I feel like a soldier most days on the job. I am fighting a battle and feel that I am on the "front line" and in the "line of fire" so to speak...

But back on topic. I am planning on adding a wading staff to my gear as of January first! I have yet to find anything that holds onto snotty rocks quite like felt, but will give the Simms studded rubber soled boots a try as recommended by Drifter 016

ANybody try the korkers with detachable soles?

Apparently not. I was wondering as well

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    ANybody try the korkers with detachable soles?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast