Thread: New to Trapping - What do I need?

Default New to Trapping - What do I need?

I am thinking about using some of my PFD to get into trapping. I bought lynx snares last year (no success). What else should I invest in? I also want to do a bit of home tanning. Same question on that - what do I need?

Also, any advice as to how to make my set would be appreciated. We have 160 acres on the Little Su - I know of some coyote, lynx, beaver, hares... The property runs on both sides of the Little Su, then uphill to mature forest and on to swamp-land.

Thanks for your help.

I played around with home tanning hare hides last year and they turned out pretty good. I'm going to try squirrels next, got one need a few more.

I followed this Mother Earth News article: http://www.motherearthnews.com/moder...an-a-hide.aspx

I got the alum powder off amazon.com

for lynx coyote and beaver, depending on how much you want to spend on it, a half dozen No 3 coil springs or a dozen if you want to spend that much. if you go to alaska range traping supply in meadow lakes a dozen sleepy creeks (the only foot hold I reccomend) is around 200 buck I think. you will also need some 14 or 11 Ga wire if you can find it for wireing it to trees and suck, also, some 18 Ga wire for snaring rabbits. however, you might be able to buy 16 Ga wire as a all purpose and just add a bunch of wraps at your sets. but some 11 Ga wire and some 18 Ga wire would be best. if you have mature forest bordering swamps and a river, you prolly have marten there too. so you might want to get some No 1 long springs or some 110 conibears (some say you need a 120 but thats bull crap) also, you will need a pair of leather gloves. you can wear your regular gloves most of the time but slip on a pear of tight fitting leather ones for setting traps. those "Mechanix" gloves are great, but a hair bit pricey. as for lure, you will want some beaver castor (beaver dams are great places to make a set, every thing will use it to cross. will write more later.

I have some traps you can have to get you started if you want. I bought a dozen No 3 coil springs and the most I used last year was 7. I'd be glad to help a fellow trapper out.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Supporting Member

Join the Alaska Frontier Trappers Association (AFTA) in Palmer and you'll get a 10% discount on all your trapping supplies purchased at Alaska Range Trapping Supply. For the $25 dollar annual membership, you'll also get your choice of two magazines (Trapper & Predator Caller or Trappers World) and wholesale tanning prices from www.fursforfun.com. You can also sign up online at the AFTA website: www.akfrontiertrappers.org. Lastly, show up at the next monthly meeting (November 1st, 7 pm, Palmer library) and pick the brains of all the other trappers there about what you need to get started. Who knows, you may even find a trapping partner!

Default trial and fail

as a fellow bigginer trapper the best advise i can give when it comes to bigging trapping is to get out and bust you tail trying. you are garenteed to fail, but failure eventualy turns to succes. last year was my first year and i truly just "feeling it out".......
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Thanks for the responses. I have been doing some serious research and picking the brains of everyone that I know who traps. I will do my best to attend the Trappers Association meeting next month. Do I need to be a member to attend?

I have never seen fox on the property, but I would think they would be there. Do fox live where there are lynx and coyotes?

Also, how close together should I set my traps?

Supporting Member

No need to be a member of the AFTA to attend the meetings. Fox do live in the same areas as lynx and coyotes, though they try to avoid each other or else one becomes a potential meal. How close together you set your traps depends on several things. How much sign and what different species are you targeting? How much gear (traps and snares) do you have at your disposal? How large of an area are you trying to cover/trap?

We have 160 acres bordered by state land. I currently own a dozen lynx snares and about 100 hare snares that I made. I am looking to purchase some more snares and some conibears in 110, 220 and 330. Not sure what else to get or how many of those I should get. Like I said in the original post, the Little Su runs through the bottom of the property with swamps, then it slopes up to mature forests and then levels out into another swamp.

Two of the best investments I've ever made were purchasing copies of The Alaska Trappers Manual and it's companion The Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual. Both cover the basics well enough to get you started. They can also be purchased at Alaska Range Trapping Supply or Frontier Outfitters in Fairbanks.

They can also be found here.... http://www.alaskatrappers.org/handbo...atrappermanual

Here is a list of helpful videos too. http://www.akfrontiertrappers.com/videolibrary.htm

However, my best source of trapping info comes from a trapping who lives in the interior and is very good at it.
    Now what ?