Thread: .348 dc ?

Default .348 dc ?

Any one have a Marlin 1895 chambered by Dave Clements for the .348 DC ? It's a necked down 45-70 shortened to 2". We exchanged e-mail and he said it will throw a 250 grain bullet at 2,300 fps mv from a 22" barrel. That is what I have been wanting, only in .35 caliber. He said it would cost a bunch for him to start over in a different caliber. I like the 45-70 round, yet I think a .35 caliber on the 45-70 case would make a great medium bore lever action round. The .338 Marlin Express just does not do it for me. Problem with the .348 DC for me is it's a base price of $950.00 on my 1895. I could find a Browning or new Mod. 71 .348 Winchester for what I would have into this conversion. I doubt Marlin will ever make what I want in a .35 caliber. Seems like everyone wants to turn a tubular fed magazine lever gun into a long range performer. Woe is me!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Any one have a Marlin 1895 chambered by Dave Clements for the .348 DC ? It's a necked down 45-70 shortened to 2". We exchanged e-mail and he said it will throw a 250 grain bullet at 2,300 fps mv from a 22" barrel. That is what I have been wanting, only in .35 caliber. He said it would cost a bunch for him to start over in a different caliber. I like the 45-70 round, yet I think a .35 caliber on the 45-70 case would make a great medium bore lever action round. The .338 Marlin Express just does not do it for me. Problem with the .348 DC for me is it's a base price of $950.00 on my 1895. I could find a Browning or new Mod. 71 .348 Winchester for what I would have into this conversion. I doubt Marlin will ever make what I want in a .35 caliber. Seems like everyone wants to turn a tubular fed magazine lever gun into a long range performer. Woe is me!
    Just a thought, but my .358 Winchester in a 20" BLR will push 250 grain Speer SP & Hornady RN at 2300+ fps with several powders...

If you're on a budget, I've seen 336 rifles in 35 Remington rechambered to the .356/.358 Winchester.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The book of wildcat cartridges has an old article from the 70s about a guy using a 35-45/70 in an 1895. Fred Zeglin might have a reamer you could rent. I also know a guy who had a reamer ground to use 444 cases run through a Whelen die. They are most likely too long to function in an 1895, he uses them in single shots.

But like 1stCor said a 356 would be a cheaper route. Rebarreling an 1895 is very labor intensive and therefore more costly than a simple boltaction rebarrel with no sights. There's dovetails, magazine relief, sights, square threads and a fairly complicated breach. Not that I haven't done them and know how just letting you know why levergun rebarrel jobs are generally pretty spendy.

Thanks for the reply guys. I wish Wild West Guns would set up a .35 caliber on the 45-70 case, complete with load data, a heavy jacketed 250 grain bullet from Hawk or Kodiak Bonded Bullets, dies and brass from Starline. I bet there would be a market for this caliber. There is definitely a gap between the 30-30 and the 45-70 and it is not filled by the .338 Marlin Express, at least for me it isn't.
    A .411 caliber on the 45-70 case would also be great.

The wildcat in the book I mentioned is called the 35 Greevy Express. It states in the book that it will push a 200 over 2500 fps from a 19in bbl. The problem is that due to OAL issues the 220 Speer was the longest bullet usable in the marlin. With a new 1886 rebarreled to this caliber OAL would be less of a concern and 250gr bullet could be explored. The book has blueprints a guy could have a reamer ground from but it would be a spendy project after the dealers and dies and new bbl plus refinishing. Sounds like a neat and fun project though.

The velocity sounds "do-able" but I wonder how much the case is shortened. The 35 sounds really interesting with the right bullets for tubes.

I have a .429 wildcat on the 45-70, basically the case necked down and the taper blown out to form a shoulder. Think of it as a 444 with more powder capacity for 300 grain bullets, and even marginally more than the 45-70. In test firing I nudged up to 2300fps with a couple of powders and didn't see over-pressure signs, but settled back to 2250 for case life and peace of mind.

I have to say the game performance of Hawk bullets is enough to make me want to approach them for some custom FN's if I was to go the 35 cal route. They're roll a cannelure wherever you want it on a custom order, so you might even get away with a 250 that doesn't require you to shorten the case.

Do you have the reamers for your wildcat Brownbear? Sounds like a neat project the main drawback for me with wildcats these days is the high cost of custom dies, guess I should learn to make my own since I have access to all the needed machinery. I heard RCBS wants over a grand for custom die sets these days, hard for me to believe and only heresay, but if it's true that's crazy.

I don't have the reamer, but could probably track it down. The smith moved to AZ if I recall correctly, but friends are still in touch with him.

If that's true about RCBS custom, I'm really glad I got mine a few years back. Seems to me the set was just over two bills. BTW- I can't recall if the barrel is 1:18 or 1:16, but it's absolutely fine for everything I've tried in it from 180's through 300's.

And speaking of those 180's I should load some more sometime and run them over the chronograph. Ever see a bullet make a blue-gray streak along its flight path and not reach the target? About half of the 180's were doing that before I got to what I thought was anywhere near max, coming apart in flight. Clearly pistol bullets weren't designed to go nearly so fast!

I'll see if I can get word to the smith and inquire about availability.