Thread: My First Willow Ptarmigan

Default My First Willow Ptarmigan

Another first today...a willow ptarmigan

ptarmigan.jpg

PA070360.jpg
    I also got 2 ruffed grouse and 1 spruce grouse. Trying to find an elusive sharp tail, I am on his trail.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Nice job! The only thing I haven't shot is a blue grouse here in Alaska. Good luck on finding the sharp tails!

yea I just started birds this fall and I hope to get a couple more species before ice fishing kicks in. I have been reading about "Hooter" Hunting thinking I may have a opportunity to give it a try this next spring in the SE, till then will be looking for another 2 ptarmigan species and maybe a sharp tail.

Beautiful bird! I really want a mount with 2 phase change ptarmigan fleeing a lynx.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Another first today...a willow ptarmigan

I also got 2 ruffed grouse and 1 spruce grouse. Trying to find an elusive sharp tail, I am on his trail.
    Great job-- i had a first today as well-- my friend shot one but hey my dog retrieved them so does that count. It was her first willow retrieve. We went to unit 13 rode the wheelers to the top of a mountain in the snow and as fate would have it saw a ptarmigan -- we thought it was only 1 hen 2 then 3. When they flushed -- 60-80 birds came up -- like the snow was flying -- not exaggerating at all. i was suprised as I thought they only held up in small coveys. Bad thing is when that many come up they sail even further and most flew well out of go get them range. We hunted hard and were able to capatilize on the ones that stayed behind and stuck tight. All in all a good hunt. Loads of fun. Think we will go grouse hunting next -- my dog needs another first.

Congrats man -- keep after them.

Congrats to you, though I hep your luck on birds does not match your luck on fish, I'd like to shoot some too. And save the fish luck thing, I was being nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    Congrats to you, though I hep your luck on birds does not match your luck on fish, I'd like to shoot some too. And save the fish luck thing, I was being nice.
    I will save some of both for others, I like to share. Staying North of the range with the bird thing for now..haha

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    Great job-- i had a first today as well-- my friend shot one but hey my dog retrieved them so does that count. It was her first willow retrieve. We went to unit 13 rode the wheelers to the top of a mountain in the snow and as fate would have it saw a ptarmigan -- we thought it was only 1 hen 2 then 3. When they flushed -- 60-80 birds came up -- like the snow was flying -- not exaggerating at all. i was suprised as I thought they only held up in small coveys. Bad thing is when that many come up they sail even further and most flew well out of go get them range. We hunted hard and were able to capatilize on the ones that stayed behind and stuck tight. All in all a good hunt. Loads of fun. Think we will go grouse hunting next -- my dog needs another first.

Congrats man -- keep after them.
    Sounds just about like what I saw, 60-80 birds, just as you described. Glad you got on a couple also.

Congratulations! You shot a bird of true wilderness; a very wild bird in a very wild place; Alaska's bird!

Jim

Congrats, 'Slayer! I managed the same for the first time, myself, this weekend. Actually bagged a pair of ptarmies, but saw maybe 30-40 more -- and saw some beautiful summit sights to boot. Max didn't point any as the birds were far too spooky for us to get very close, but he did disappear into some alder for a while, and flushed out two big moose! Not quite what we were after -- but Max was proud of himself anyways. Good day all around.

Regards.2011 10 07 (6).jpg2011 10 07 (18).jpg

"I also got 2 ruffed grouse and 1 spruce grouse. Trying to find an elusive sharp tail, I am on his trail."

Wow!! Try doing THAT in the "Olde Country". You had an excellent day!!

Wow, you aren't very patient with this upland pursuit are you? That's great, go get em! I'd offer to host you around here but I have no idea what I'm doing yet.
    Go Big Red!

Congrats on the fine bird.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Wow, you aren't very patient with this upland pursuit are you? That's great, go get em! I'd offer to host you around here but I have no idea what I'm doing yet.
    My OCD makes me a better angler and now its allowing me to become proficient with the birds...LOL