Thread: Any New Info On Snowshoe Hares?

Default Any New Info On Snowshoe Hares?

My buddy and I want to go chase some bunnies. Does anyone have some info on numbers and locations? We were thinking about the Ninilchik/Oil well Road area but are open to other places too. All help appreciated.

Thanks!
    PC gag in place.

I am assuming that since you are looking for hares then you must know how to cook them Any good ideas? Been a long time since I hunted a rabbit and even longer since I ate one looking for ideas. I was thinking when I get some about boiling the meat until it falls off the bone then using it in a soup or such.

Also your location would help-- Fairbanks or Anchorage or in between??

Bunny numbers are good on the Peninsula right now. Oilwell should be ok.
    I havent hunted Hares out that way but I do know Kasilof to Sterling holds quite a few so you should be good in that area.
    If you leave early enough in the day you might pick up a few spruce hen on your way out as a bonus.
    I have had my best luck this time of year on evening hunts. They seem to come out close to dark.
    If you are trail hunting keep your ears open as we often hear them hopping off in the dead leaves before we see them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

All day long in the crock-pot with onions, carrots, celery, chicken broth, Sazon Goya, Goya Adobo, salt, pepper and garlic. I really don't know where, or how, my wife came up with this recipe but it is awesome. She's been reminding me it is time to put bunnies in the freezer. The meat falls off the bone and the taste is unbelievable!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

There's plenty of rabbits out Swanson and Mystery Creek Rd, Kenai Keys Rd- they're pretty much everywhere...including our property.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    I am assuming that since you are looking for hares then you must know how to cook them Any good ideas? Been a long time since I hunted a rabbit and even longer since I ate one looking for ideas. I was thinking when I get some about boiling the meat until it falls off the bone then using it in a soup or such.

Also your location would help-- Fairbanks or Anchorage or in between??
    I like to inject them with "Cajun Butter" and then season with cajun salt, you can get the whole kit at 3 bears for under $10 I think. Then put them on the bar-b-cue... Very good!

FYI - Saw 3 last night and all of them were still ALL brown except the very bottom of there bellies.

saw four bunnys last saturday up by caribou creek trail (up the glenn). we saw one or two that looked to be almost completely white....
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)