Thread: 7 Oct Palmer report fair

Default 7 Oct Palmer report fair

S4300094.jpgWas 35 this morning got stuck twice trail was bad lots of water. No birds prior to shooting time no wind ran with a 2 dozen set up J-hook pattern on the dozen to our left. Could not believe that we saw only a few doubles in the first hourc ompared to Sunday. Waked over to the river and splashed a Green head one shot and let the hen go. Went back over to the blind looked straight ahead GEESE!GEESE! popped open the double barrel inserted two Blackcloud triple BBBs came about 40 plus yards started to elevate said takem 5 shots went skyward and one goose locked up and went down a successful retrieve but only one it was fun. I consider them a bonus bird for the day. Finished with 6 ducks 3 Drake Mallards a Spoony and 2 Ringnecks. Two Mallards had great color.
    Saw about 5 small flocks in and around the inlet 2 flocks of Geese west of Duck lake headed towards Coffee Point. Very little shooting Duck Lake was pretty quiet today. Need a low pressure storm up north. Come on!
    Last edited by philobeddoe; 10-07-2011 at 17:33. Reason: picture

Yea, I was out there too. On dl, saw a few groups of ducks flying, mostly in the distance. There are some ducks down, but not a lot, and the ones I see are very selective. Hunted till 11, noting coming close, no shots at all. Had 3 nice pairs of swans fly directly over me, low, why do they like my spread and not the ducks. Hunted at the south end near the old wood blind, somebody else was just north of me on the edge of the main lake, they had some shooting but not alot. Very calm and plesant morning. Found the leak in my boat so next time out, most likely sunday, will do a field repair, most likely with marine tex, before I hit the lake, but at least I won't have to worry about where all the water has been coming from. Bud
    Wasilla

yep was on DL as well. VERY slow. need some weather up north but there isn't much forcasted

That goose looks small. Was that a CACKLING Canada?????????????

Birchwood side. Saw about 30 birds total. Nothing dead.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

put money on it that its a cackler. most geese up here are
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

NOT MOST GEESE in this area. South central geese are lessers. Cacklers are in the chain. Seen them in Cold Bay. I think there is no season for them??????????????????? Need to check regs. Sure looks like a Cackler.

Quote Originally Posted by 28 GA View Post
    NOT MOST GEESE in this area. South central geese are lessers. Cacklers are in the chain. Seen them in Cold Bay. I think there is no season for them??????????????????? Need to check regs. Sure looks like a Cackler.
    It's a cackler for sure, there's no issue with them in the regs. They are doing just fine population wise. Fun little guys to shoot in February in Oregon.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by 28 GA View Post
    That goose looks small. Was that a CACKLING Canada?????????????
    I think you ment to say "Those Drakes look huge."