Thread: Looking for a river to float

Default Looking for a river to float

I have done many types of hunting but never a float hunt...
    I'm looking for a river to float that is Class I or II.

If we could we would like to have a chance to hunt Moose , Caribou and Grizz.
    I read Michael book. So many rivers to choose from.. Just looking for Ideas...
    Thanks...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hi

Hopefully others will chime in here and add to the discussion, in the mean time, I can give it a shot.

As you are probably aware, hunting in Alaska is changing really fast. When I moved here in 79, with almost any effort you could get away from people, and pressure, and find moose populations with mature bulls, and reasonable pressure.

All terrain vehicles are pushing the limits, and it just seems more and more people are getting obsessed with "getting their moose" (can't blame them, it's a healthy obsession).

Float hunts from the road system are getting tough to get away from the crowd ... and you need a plan. You need to do some extra work and thinking to find some quality ground.

What kind of hunts are you doing now?. When looking for float hunts I plan to fly in, I really look for situations where I can fly in and float back to a vehicle, or commercial fly out location(the fly out is the most expensive cause of course you have a 70 inch bull to get out.... and a griz, and a caribou...lol)

Try and talk Mike Strahan into discussing the rivers and possibilities out of Kotz. That area is on the rise still.. great numbers(increasing pressure as well).. logistics are tough, but great possibilities. I looked at the 40 mile area this Fall.. very beautiful, interesting area.. but amazing number of people(700 permits, 100 or so moose killed), very thin moose population .... you need to fly out there, or pull your hair out with all the people. Haul road rivers get tons of pressure for some reason(more than they deserve). Fairbanks area gets amazing pressure... but great populations(20A is maybe the best in the state for numbers).. Koyukuk is a zoo..

think outside the box... there are moose almost everywhere in Alaska... you just need to find somewhere people are not.

I just found a river(area) where they thinned out 300 black bear, and even more wolf.... moose are coming back strong!!.. and because the predation was SO high for so long.. it is off the radar as a place to hunt moose.. almost NO pressure. It's on my short list for next year.

Hopefully someone will chime in about the Kotz area. I have wanted to hunt that area for 10 years, but could never justify paying the piper to do it. As I get older, getting away from the crowd, and finding quality moose populations simply is worth the money, so I am wanting to take a look up that way..(great potential). I have spent 20 years trying to beat the odds extracting moose out of areas people have over looked... would be nice to pass a few 50 inchers waiting for a big one.

Quick story I heard from an old miner this Summer. He claims to have killed 80 moose in his lifetime.. he hunted around Tok in the 30's. He told me they never shot the "big ones". My interest peaked, and I commented wow, so you'd pass on 60 inch bulls?.. He told .. no the 60 inchers were not the big ones..lol

in 1900 the planet had just over a billion people, 1960..3 billion, now we have 7 billion and will hit 9 by 2020.. it's getting tougher.

Thanks... Hope to hear from more people...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I have done many types of hunting but never a float hunt...
    I'm looking for a river to float that is Class I or II.

If we could we would like to have a chance to hunt Moose , Caribou and Grizz.
    I read Michael book. So many rivers to choose from.. Just looking for Ideas...
    Thanks...
    I would be more than happy to help with this; just give me a call or drop me a line and let's chat. No charge for the first call! :-))

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Look out AKG, he's got you hooked and he's starting to reel you in.

Sorry Mike.

ps. His service is worth every $ you spend.

Take a look at the Tag and Kelly or even the Wulik in unit 23. Shoot me a PM if you are considering a float hunt up north and I can get ya set up.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    www.northwestalaska@yahoo.com

The Tag is good Moose, Griz, and some blackies. Caribou only if you hunt late sept or into Oct. Sometimes the Kobuk can be good for Moose, bou and griz. Might look at the middle Noatak also. Not great moose but some are there. Noatak is a good ealy sept. bou float.
    Possibilities exist for some of the unit 25 rivers, like Colleen or Sheenjek.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!