Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Girl

Default Lucky Girl

My daughter drew a PT Mckinzy Antlerless moose tag this year. The hunt was planned for August 26 with hopes to locate a landowner out htere that would let a 14 year old girl hunt and well sorry to say she tlked to several landowners and told them who she was and if they would let her hunt on thier property for a cow moose. After six tires and getting to dreaded no for and answer and wiping awayt he tears I asked on last land owner that was parked in thier diriveway. unfortunately I was immidiatley accused of tresspassing on her land when we had not even left the truck. After informing the very accusatory land owner that the tresspasser she was looking for was still parked on the side of the road she reluctanltly applogized. She then proceeded to inform us that she made her living off of the horses that she pointed at in the background and said that she along with all of the land owners out there had agreed to no allow more hunting. What a blow to us all especially my daughter. She also said she did not want anyone shooting one of the horse riders off of her hourses (WHAT are you talking about I asked myslef?). Then when allo hope was lost she gave us a bit of information that worked out well. She told us that ther was some public land down the end of ther road near here house and said we shoud go there. Off we wnet. We found a trailhead the did not allow ATV so i flt good we may be in luck. Shortlya after leading the truck we jumped some grouse which was a goood signe telling me no one had been there today. After walking abourt .8 of a mile we ended up in a muskeg and started to glass when my neighbor said Mooose. My heart stopped and after loookin we determined that htere were at least three cow moose together and the stock was on. After a bout a 300 yard stock we wereab el to get within 100 yards and my daughter was able get a good rest on a small black spruce. Jsut as she was ready the cow turned and started to walk away and then she made the fatal mistake of turning broadisde and stop. I told my daughter to take her shot. The remington .260 cracked and the moose fell to the ground. What an awsome shot and a great end to wnat was turing out to be a disapointing day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Story and congrats to your daughter.

Matt

Congrats on the moose.

Like many hunting experiences, it sounds like what started out as a tough and unfortunate day turned out to be a great hunting experience for your daughter and you. Regardless of why things are going wrong during a hunt, good things can still happen in an instant. I hope your daughter, being relatively new to the hunting community, remembers the good and great parts of your day hunt, and not the early "communication errors" she experienced. While it would have been nice to obtain access to some private land, it is also great that she was able to score within the public land hunting area. And isn't it always interesting showing a young hunter how to process game while in the field. Did you complete the meat packaging process at your home, which is another ton of time and work, or did you have a butcher process and package this winter subsistence supply of meat?
    Either way, I'll bet both of you learned a little more about hunting and about each other during this moose hunting experience.
    Congrats!!! to both of you.

AlaskaTrueAdventure

Way to go, young lady.

May not look too good on the wall, but I bet your freezer is looking sharp right about now...

Nice moose, congrats!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Congratulations to your daughter on her successful hunt and congratualtions to yuo for taking her on the hunt. Too many dads don't take daughters and that is truly a shame. She'll enjoy those moose steaks even more knowing all the work that went into the harvest.

congrats!
    nice moose!
    what a great hunt te get em intrested...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Diggin the orange. I've never read up on that hunt, it's not required is it? I wear at least an orange cap while in the field.
    Go Big Red!

....and one last comment...
    You titled your thread Lucky Girl...
    ...lucky that her dad cares enough to take her out for outdoor experiences...

Congrats. It is a great experience. I hope we are both raising future hunters. Tell her great job.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Diggin the orange. I've never read up on that hunt, it's not required is it? I wear at least an orange cap while in the field.
    If that was one of the youth hunt permits, then I think it is required. At least, I know it's required for the Delta youth hunt.

Congrats to the young lady! That is excellent to read about.

Wish I could REP Dennis at alaskatrueAdventures. He always offers good imput.

Congrats to your daughter! This really has been the year of young kids bringing home the bacon.

We ran into a similar experience the day my daughter shot the moose. We found a legal cow on a plot of land next to a house. We couldn't get in touch with the owners, and went to the neighbors to see if we could find out any more information. We had approval to shoot the moose from the neighbors, but I still didn't have a good feeling about it. When we were considering the shot, the moose turned and went into the woods.

Later that morning we found a moose on public land, put on the stalk and my daughter made a great shot on it. Seems like Karma paid off in the long run for all of us.

I'm happy things worked out for you two. Not to hijack this thread but down KGB road, within 12 miles of Wasilla, a person I know was walking his property when he came upon two hunters looking for moose. Now this guy has cows and horses and has had people shooting moose and leaving the gut pile right in the middle of his long driveway. So he posted last year every 50 feet a " No trespassing" sign on his property lines. While telling these guys there were hunting on private lands when one of them got behind him and knocked him out with the butt of a rifle.
    When I first heard this I really didn't believe it, hearing it second hand, even if I do know the guy.
    But the next week I was gassing up my truck when a trooper pulled in to do the same. When I asked him if he heard about it, he said he was the one that took the report.
    Maybe tell your daughter people up here are getting tired of slob "hunters" and this is the perfect example of the fall out. With things like this happening, I'm confused we don't see more posting of land out here
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Congratulations to your daughter on her successful hunt! Very nice moose. I can't wait for my daughter to take her first animal to help feed the family. Although I have a few years, she's only 4, but she does love going out with daddy to look for game. And let me not forget to congratulate the very proud daddy!

Congrats to your daughter and you on a great moose hunt hope the two of you have many more together!

Congrats to you and your daughter!

Nice story!

She also said she did not want anyone shooting one of the horse riders off of her hourses (WHAT are you talking about I asked myslef?).
    Can't really blame a landowner for that. I grew up hunting in Missouri for whitetail deer, and every year someone or another got killed because they were mistaken for a deer by some idiot -- even if they're wearing blaze orange. A horse (even with a rider) looks a lot more like a moose than a hunter in orange looks like a deer, and there are guys out there in the woods who will literally shoot at anything that moves. I'm really glad that doesn't happen very much in Alaska, since we're all a lot more spread out, but if I had horses I would be nervous about allowing people I'd just met to hunt moose around them, too. I'm glad she was friendly about it and sent you guys over to the public land for a great hunt!
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Great hunt, congratualations to both of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast