Thread: Alaska is too cold for 2 strokes

Default Alaska is too cold for 2 strokes

Ok, I admit I do not know much about Yamaha's HPDI 200 hp motors. I am still in search of a new motor for my upcoming river jet boat and went to Deweys Cook Inlet today in Anchorage Alaska. I asked the owner what he thought of a 200 HPDI for my choice and he told me the motor will not perform in cooler weather and the only people who are happy with them are people who live in Florida. He said in Alaska's cooler summer climate (temperatures usually 50-65 on the water) these motors fouled plugs constantly. He even told me he hasnt sold one in over four years and the ONLY motor I should consider is one of there 4 strokes.

I used to have a 2 stroke Yamaha 150 and a 115 and both ran great. Is he yanking my chain just trying to steer me into a 4 stroke? Anyone up here run these bigger moderen 2 strokes?
    Tennessee

Was he saying they don't perform well because they're 2-stroke, or is there something else about the design of that particular motor that fouls plugs in cold weather?

There are thousands of 2-stroke engines in AK that have no problems with plug-fouling in colder weather (most snowmobiles are 2-cycle). I've run the same plugs all season in several different boats with no problems. I do always have spares, but rarely need to swap 'em out.

4 strokes would be better for fuel economy, emmissions (generally speaking) and noise level...and they don't foul plugs as fast as 2 strokes...but I don't think that has much to do with the cold; it's because the lubricating oil gets burned with the gas, instead of just the gas in a 4-cycle.

I think Ol' Boy's gonna make more commission off the 4 stroke, unless there is something with that particular motor that makes it foul in cooler weather...but 2 strokes in general...not a problem.

Funny, the only comments I've heard about problems with cold water was in regards to the 4 strokes and not the two strokes. In paticular I've heard yamaha 4 strokes have had problems not coming up to proper temps for the piston rings to seal and hence fuel getting blown by into the crankcase oil.

I'm sure there might be some paticular models that may not do well with cold water, but I'd be a bit sceptical about such a blanket statement.

Yea, I think the guy is blowing smoke. I posted the same question on the Hull Truth and received responses from guys who fish the great lakes in cold weather and from a guy in Finland. They all love the motor.
    I am surprised the gentleman wasnt wearing a bow tie and trying to sell me a used car at the same time. His comments were if it wasnt a 4 stroke it wasnt any good. I guess my older 150 Yamaha 2 stroke was a piece of junk, it just didnt know it.
    Tennessee

I've heard less than steller things about that shop, which is one of the reasons I won't be putting a yammy 115 4-s on my boat. Pity, as it isn't that hard to treat folks right, and treating them wrong sure is a good way to kill sales.

The only 2-stroke I have heard of having problems in the cold water was the Evinrude E-tec 90. The cold water confuses a temp sensor and makes it think that the oil isn't sufficient. My buddy has had his in the shop a couple of times because the low/no oil buzzer won't stop when he runs the Big Su or Knik.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Paul,
    I absolutely agree and I wasnt going to say this before but after we walked out of the shop my son said to me, "Dad, why do you even bother coming back here, that guy is such a jerk. It is either his way or the wrong way".
    He said the problems were with direct injection 2 strokes. Which would include the Etec's, Opti. and all the bigger Yamaha's. I should of made that clearer in my original post.
    Akmud, my neighbor had the same issue with his Etec, took two summers for AMDS to get the motor running correctly. They finally blamed it on to thick of an oil. Go figure.
    Tennessee

The Phontom Sportjon has a 200 Optimax 2 stroke and I cant imagine that they would put it in a shallow water river boat if it was succeptable to cold weather problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Paul,
    my son said to me, "Dad, why do you even bother coming back here, that guy is such a jerk. It is either his way or the wrong way".
    Yea, that's the guy.

I have heard the exact same thing from Deweys and I was a little skeptical too. Would be nice to get some HPDI coldwater hours and see what happens. My old 200 efi yamaha never had any issues for 4 years, used it feb-dec out of whittier some years.

And just what did they use before 4 strokes? To me it sounds like all the people that say a 300cc wheeler won't pull a moose back to camp. All the guys that had those must of used the machine to haul their backpacks so they could haul their moose out

I am running a 2005 Evinrude 250 with a jet on my Wooldridge 20ft extra plus. It was the year before the came out with the big Etecs. I have run it in the Big Su, Cook inlet and PWS. Runs great and have never had any issues when running in Alaska. I have had Burkeshore (sp) at big lake doing the tune ups and have always had good service.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

To be fair, today I called Yamaha myself and told them what the dealer told me.
    There response was that they are unaware of any issues or problems with any of their two stroke motors in Alaska.
    Tennessee

Talking E-tec (evinrude motors)

<<The only 2-stroke I have heard of having problems in the cold water was the Evinrude E-tec 90. The cold water confuses a temp sensor and makes it think that the oil isn't sufficient. My buddy has had his in the shop a couple of times because the low/no oil buzzer won't stop when he runs the Big Su or Knik.>>

I just called Evinrude (26 Mar 07) and asked about the cold water problem and was told the cold water issue has been fixed. No more problems noted since Evinrude fixed the sensors, switches and other things etc...

My last 6 snowmobiles all ran fine in temperatures colder than I want to ride - even with EFI and computer brain boxes - 2 strokes have been around a long time with no problems

Snowwolfe, if you want an HPDI talk to the folks at Soldotna. Peter and Bubba treated me very well after I was jerked around locally on Yamaha warantee work. It's worth the drive to River and Sea if you really want a Yamaha outboard.

If you're not brand specific, the OptiMax is supposed to be as bulletproof as the DI 2-strokes get. Powerboat Reports did a test of 150's last year, and they reported the 150 Opti was more fuel efficient than any of the 4-stroke models. The only drawback they listed was that it was noisier. A friend just ordered a Wooldridge Sport 20 with a 225 Opti & jet lower unit.

That is one of the motors I am considering, the 200 hp Opti. It seems to have a loyal following but at this point I havent made up my mind yet.
    It will either be the Opti or a 200 Yamaha V Max. The issue that has me swaying towards the Yamaha is we see more Yamaha dealers in Alaska.
    Either way I will probably purchase it in the lower 48 as they run about $1,000 - $1,400 less down there.
    I do know for sure I am not getting a 4 stroke. They simply weigh to much and require more maintence.
    Tennessee

Not defending anyone here, but I bought my new boat last year at Deweys and their service was stellar. Could be that I am used to inflated prices and crappy service here in Fbks but I was tickled pink with Deweys. I also avoided the E-Tec cuz there was so much bad info floating around about cold weather operation which is gonna be real hard to avoid up here in the interior. I went with a 4 stroke Yamaha and couldn't be any happier.

Default 75 merc

i have a 75 merc 2 stroke, 1991. it runs beutifuly in the cold water in big lake and in resurection bay both wide open and with hours of putt puttt troling.