Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 A Moose Hunting

Default 20 A Moose Hunting

I'm On The Fairbanks Fish And Game Advisory Board And We Our Having Our First Meeting Wedesday Night Oct 12 At The Alpine Hotel At 7:00, I Would Love To Here From People That Hunted Out There And What They Saw For Moose I'm Not Seeing Moose And Want To Here From Other People That Hunted Out There, Me I Seen Lots Of Wolf And Bear Sign Not A Lot Of Moose Sign. Thank You

I will try to make it, but in case I dont.... I hunted out there for 8 solid days this year and didnt see squat (couldnt even fill a cow tag). I saw one group with a bull in the boat, but that was it. Almost everyone I talked to said the numbers seemed to be way down. It wasnt just not seeing the moose, the sign was gone as well. I logged around 100 boat miles, around 60 raft miles, and probably another 20 or so miles on my boots. You are correct about the bear and wolf sign too, its higher than I have ever seen it.

Ron

We saw some sign, but not a lot. We hunted a total of about 6 days and saw one cow, but our cow permit holder wasn't with us at the time. Our camp was run over and torn up by some squirrel poaching ingrates that squatted on it for the last part of the season, and it looks like they took a moose out of there since the meat pole had some blood on the ropes. We called back and forth with one bull for a while, but other than that it was pretty scarce. We heard a lot of coyotes this year, and we did see some bear and wolf sign, but nothing more than normal. We are going to try new areas next season, I think the ticket to 20A is to get off the river. It's just been hunted too hard the last few years.

I hunt 20A every year and almost always get my bull as does my hunting buddy. But the past few years, it's been getting much harder and we have seen many wolves in the area. Last year we deleted 3 from the pack and only 1 this year. Seen a few bear tracks but not many. Also, this year we found 2 calves killed by wolves. No bear tracks or other sign nearby. Just wolves.

Why only 20A? I here from people who hunt all over the Fairbanks area, incl 20A, 20B, 20F and 25C and they all are having similar experiences......less moose than in previous years.

I hunt elsewhere because of this.

-akiceman25

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Why only 20A? I here from people who hunt all over the Fairbanks area, incl 20A, 20B, 20F and 25C and they all are having similar experiences......less moose than in previous years.

I hunt elsewhere because of this.

-akiceman25
    Because we micro manage. 20A is a big area and needs to be discussed on its own, as does each unit. I went to a Unit 20 meeting last fall and it mostly touched on 20A and 20B. I'm hoping to make it to this meeting.

Because It Started With 20 A They Started With Spike Fork 50 Then It Started Shotting Every Cow And Calf To Bring The Bull Numbers Up Then The Calf Hunt Got Pulled Now Its Cow With Out Calfs Only , Then They Started Antlerless Clear In To Febuary, Which Means The Big Bulls We Had Out There Are Now Getting Shot Off Where We Could Not Shoot Them In A Regular Season Witch Means No Moose At All In A Few Years If We Keep It Up Now They Want To Do 20 B And 20 D The Same Way, I Would Like To Here From People That Are Seeing The Same Thig I'm Seeing And Let Fish And Game And The Advisory Boards Know What Your Seeing Before There Aint No Moose And We Are All On Permits To Hunt

I might show up but I'm probably not the guy you want at your meeting. My family and friends did very well out there. Saw lots of moose and our freezers will be full for a while. I think Jerod says it all, you need to get off the river! The moose are there, they are just smarter than they use to be.

I hunted 20A for 4 days and I got my moose on the third day and my brother get a 65" on the fourth day. I was hunting a very popular trail with lots of other people. This was our first time hunting in 20A and we seen lots of moose sign and lots of moose. I think we seen close to 15 cows and most of them had calf's and lots with twins and half a dozen bulls. We also seen several bears Black and Brown and a few wolf tracks but didn't see any wolves. Seen several moose being hauled out and hanging in camps.

The first time I set up and started calling I had a Black Bear and two cubs come in so I got out of there and the next day my brother called a Brown Bear in.

my brother shot a wolf out of the yanert control use area didn't see any others of the pack. Some one else hunting out there missed a shot on a different wolf. My dad had a any bull permit but wasn't there when we saw the bull of course at 25 yards. Thats ok was only limited to 3 days in the yanert area first time in the area. Only saw one more cow in that area.

Thanks for clarifying fellas...

A coworker informed me this morning that his 'inside guy' at the dept of fishy and gamey told him about a yet unannounced ''DM780(?)'' antlerless hunt in the Fairbanks area in order to ''take out 4000 extra moose''... Supposed to be announcing it within the next couple weeks, or so he said

Take it for what its worth.. grapevine type info from the sounds of it but the rumor started somehow... I was so disgusted, appalled, beside myself I didn't even discuss it with him.

Personally, I'm w/Skip and many other outdoorsmen in this area, as I feel the moose population is being over-managed.. for the lack of a better word.

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

It Sounds Like You In The Rex Area Our The Fairy Area Have Plenty Of Moose, Do You Want Them To Send Hunters There And Wipe Out Your Hunting Area, I Hunted 16 Days And Seen Six Cows And Three Calfs And One Bull And If It Wasn't For A Any Bull Tag I Would Not Of Got Nothing, Thanks To The Fish And Game And The Antlerless Hunts They Are Doing In The Tanana Flats, And Yes I Was Way Out In The Flats I Run An Airboat There Was Nothing, Now If You Think You Have To Many Moose In Your Area Let Me Know I'll Tell Don Young And He Will Be More Than Happy To Help You Out

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    It Sounds Like You In The Rex Area Our The Fairy Area Have Plenty Of Moose, Do You Want Them To Send Hunters There And Wipe Out Your Hunting Area, I Hunted 16 Days And Seen Six Cows And Three Calfs And One Bull And If It Wasn't For A Any Bull Tag I Would Not Of Got Nothing, Thanks To The Fish And Game And The Antlerless Hunts They Are Doing In The Tanana Flats, And Yes I Was Way Out In The Flats I Run An Airboat There Was Nothing, Now If You Think You Have To Many Moose In Your Area Let Me Know I'll Tell Don Young And He Will Be More Than Happy To Help You Out
    I was curious how this thread would help you (and your group) with the management of unit 20A. I could tell you what I saw ... but have been accused of hunting with my eyes closed... which is evidenced by a non filled tag. Others in my party saw several bear tracks, scat, and digs. Gut piles seemed to be cleaned out in a few days.

I would think the ariel surveys, browse studies, and twinning surveys would be better indicators than a few hunting reports (not location specific) across the large unit 20A hunting area. And the year to year comparisons of the accidental moose kills (w/ vehicles and the train) Versus moose taken by hunters would seem to indicate whether the hunting effort should be increased near the heavily travelled areas.

I like the boundaries for the draw permits for the antlerless areas and would support similar boundaries for the any bull hunts. If more bulls need to be taken out along the road system (to hopefully reduce the number of moose vehicle collisions) ... then issue more permits for that area. If the harvest percentage for bulls in the hard to get to areas is low ... then more draw tags for those areas also.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying fellas...

A coworker informed me this morning that his 'inside guy' at the dept of fishy and gamey told him about a yet unannounced ''DM780(?)'' antlerless hunt in the Fairbanks area in order to ''take out 4000 extra moose''... Supposed to be announcing it within the next couple weeks, or so he said
    If you look through the regs ... RM 784 was tentatively scheduled to be issued Oct 1. That release has been suspended (temporarily). According to F&G anchorage, that hunt may be opened by emergency order at some point, and then closed when the quota was met. I find it alarming that they would issue a quota for 4000 tags for RM by EO, when there are several draw hunts (low numbers of tags) for antlerless that are ongoing in that area till the end of the month. When compared with the number of tags given in the draw system, 4000 RM's would be very substantial, and beg the question, "why the draw system for antlerless in the first place". Perhaps a ploy to generate revenue and commit a hunters three guesses away from other moose areas? Back to the RM ...How could the F&G underestimate the number of draw tags that are needed so severely... except if the browse surveys indicate a major potential problem for this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    If you look through the regs ... RM 784 was tentatively scheduled to be issued Oct 1. That release has been suspended (temporarily). According to F&G anchorage, that hunt may be opened by emergency order at some point, and then closed when the quota was met. I find it alarming that they would issue a quota for 4000 tags for RM by EO, when there are several draw hunts (low numbers of tags) for antlerless that are ongoing in that area till the end of the month. When compared with the number of tags given in the draw system, 4000 RM's would be very substantial, and beg the question, "why the draw system for antlerless in the first place". Perhaps a ploy to generate revenue and commit a hunters three guesses away from other moose areas? Back to the RM ...How could the F&G underestimate the number of draw tags that are needed so severely... except if the browse surveys indicate a major potential problem for this winter.
    Very true... I just looked it up and I do see a RM780 in unit 20B only, opening to be announced. The 4000 number I gave was a grapevine type imbellishment I'm sure.

I'll cut this short since it doesn't pertain to 20A in the thread topic.

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    You asked what we seen and this is how you reply??? Sounds like you have a issue with cow hunts and your mad if anyone has seen more moose than you did.

Do You Want Them To Send Hunters There And Wipe Out Your Hunting Area
    Now If You Think You Have To Many Moose In Your Area Let Me Know I'll Tell Don Young And He Will Be More Than Happy To Help You Out
    Maybe I'm reading your responce wrong but you asked what we had seen and then you go post a smart ***** reply about sending more people into an area you think might have more moose than the area that your hunting in to wipe it out. Your reply isn't very professinal for someone who sits on the board.

Maybe you should try getting out of the boat it would probably help out a lot. Just because you didn't see the moose doesn't mean that they are not there.

I think the real tragedy in the "management plan" in 20A is that it is really hurting the folks that don't have time to go hunt 20 days, and spend over a grand doing it. I hunted around Nenana years ago, and lots of folks got bulls off the road system.. hey, the bulls had to come in eventually to service all the cows!.. With the cows shot up.... these folks no longer get moose. I've seen fish and feather stats as to why they went with these new management ideas.. twin ratios were down to 6% and lower.. barren cow ratios rising.. signs of a stressed herd.. I agree it is a tough area to manage.. but the cow hunts were not the answer.. just really a bad idea in my opinion. I commercial fish, and can take the entire hunting season and go hunt... lots of folks just cannot.. these folks are having a really tough time finding moose... in an area where there a "lot of moose"... the moose are getting thin around rivers, and road system.

Insurance companies want the cows killed around the road system.. doesn't work great for the locals however.

I think the real tragedy in the "management plan" in 20A is that it is really hurting the folks that don't have time to go hunt 20 days, and spend over a grand doing it. I hunted around Nenana years ago, and lots of folks got bulls off the road system.. hey, the bulls had to come in eventually to service all the cows!.. With the cows shot up.... these folks no longer get moose. I've seen fish and feather stats as to why they went with these new management ideas.. twin ratios were down to 6% and lower.. barren cow ratios rising.. signs of a stressed herd.. I agree it is a tough area to manage.. but the cow hunts were not the answer.. just really a bad idea in my opinion. I commercial fish, and can take the entire hunting season and go hunt... lots of folks just cannot.. these folks are having a really tough time finding moose... in an area where there a "lot of moose"... the moose are getting thin around rivers, and road system.

Insurance companies want the cows killed around the road system.. doesn't work great for the locals however.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    I think the real tragedy in the "management plan" in 20A is that it is really hurting the folks that don't have time to go hunt 20 days, and spend over a grand doing it. I hunted around Nenana years ago, and lots of folks got bulls off the road system.. hey, the bulls had to come in eventually to service all the cows!.. With the cows shot up.... these folks no longer get moose. .
    You are dead on rep sent.

The Reason I Not Happy With This Is We Had Some Bulls Out In The Area That I Hunted It Was A Breeding Area, They Only Had Two Brow Tine So I Could Not Shot Them During The Regular Season Now There Gone And All The Cows That Did Not Have Calfs In The Area Because They Were Antlerless Now There Is Nothing Out There And I Mean Nothing Here We Wait For The Bulls To Get Fifty Inches So We Can Shoot Them, Now There Gone Ben Hunting The Flats since 1979 And It Looks Like It Did Then After Fish And GAme Got Done With It Back Then By Shooting All The Cows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast