Thread: Kenai brown bear hunt

Default Kenai brown bear hunt

Why just subsitence dont think anyone is going to eat them?
    http://kenai.fws.gov/overview/news/11062sam.pdf

Is it just me or does one animal every 4 years sound odd for a subsistence hunt???

What is a "qualified rural resident"? Only unit 15c residents?

Well, it's a FEDERAL hunt. They get to make their own rules.
    My guess is that they're putting the residents (that are complaining of "too many bears") on the hot seat to eliminate their share of the problem.
    The good news is that it might be a precurser of better things to come - like the state opening a bigger season.

I called the refuge headquarters in soldotna and asked where the subsistence boundary is and what I was told is anyone who lives between falls creek road and the stariski tower in ninilchik will qualify for this hunt. All you have to do is go into the refuge office and show proof of residency within that boundary.

read falls creek road to stariski tower as just the ninichik boys...
    • The Board recognized the customary and traditional use by Ninilchik residents of black bear on federal public lands in Unit 15 on the Kenai Peninsula and brown bear for Ninilchik residents on federal public lands in Unit 15C and established federal seasons and harvest limits for these hunts.
    15C Brown Bear Residents of Ninilchik.
    Unit 15, remainder Brown Bear No Federal subsistence priority.

http://govpulse.us/entries/2010/06/3...istence-taking

• These regulations apply only on Federal public lands. Only rural Alaska residents may harvest wildlife under Federal subsistence regulations. For further information on Federal subsistence hunting and trapping, please consult the Federal subsistence wildlife harvest regulations book, which will be available at vendors, Federal field offices, the Office of Subsistence Management, and on the Web in late June. For additional information, contact Dan LaPlant at (907) 786-3871 or (800) 478-1456.

For those of you that may be struggling with this let me dissect it for you from my perspective as a 53 year resident of the Kenai Peninsula and high school graduate of Ninilchik. My parents homesteaded in Kasilof in 1959.

The political power with the federal government for the ninichik area comes from the native association, not all the local residents. No white man ever subsisted on brown bear from that area. Actually I doubt any person alive has, but I am willing to be corrected with proof. Maybe some of the natives from before 1900 did, which are actually mixed. The natives in Ninilchik are Russian/Native. Ninichik was created as a retirement location for the early Russians that came to Alaska to work in the fur trade in the early 1800's that ended up taking native women for their wives.

It is politically incorrect to only allow Natives to subsistence hunt so it is allowed by area, which means a few non-natives get to subsistence hunt brown bear even if they have never done so before. Confused and bewildered ? Don't feel alone !

Default what a surprise

more idiotic " subsistence" regulations that make no sense. these federal people need to pack their bags and head home.

You dont have to be a Native to Subsistance Hunt.
    The State of Alaska long ago recognized that we are al;l equal, despite of ancetrial heritage.
    The Feds run a Natives only subsiistance hunt applies only to Marine Mammles, craeted during the "Save the Whales" days. Ocean side villages that relied on the Sea had to do something when this was going on and voiced their needs, hence the exception. Us non Natives had the KKK , Aryan Nations and the Republican party, and not a snowballs chance in Hell to get in on that. and just like today, if a resource is limited, then the feds cut it back to "Subsitance only" and if it gets worse, they cut evry one off. In the 1960's the Native Alaskans, that reside along the coast proved a subsitance need/use/history when others in the US could only show a history of Commercial Whale/Seal /Otter hunting. THe Fereo Islands, Norway, Iceland and Russia still Whale too for food. If Whale numbers werent recovering, Whaleing would be our right banned.
    Only Native Alaskans that reside in the Hunt area or have a history of hunting (like living up river in winter by trees, at the ocean each summer hunting, very common),so you cant live in Anchorage and be a Whaling Captain.....

Subsistance is the ability to use the materials/resourcres/animlas around you to make a living.

Guides, lumberjacks, fishermen, trappers, berry pickers and those who mearly hunt to eat are all using those resources to make a living, but the essence of subsistance is to eat what the catch and make a personal use of materials/resources and animals/fish.

If noone has made themselfs a Bearskin coat or eaten any Brown Bears there, you may be right.

I hunt and eat BrownBears. theres plenty round here, I can get one every year...... If theres not many, then 1 every four years would sound very Federal.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....