Thread: Fall Kvichak report

Default Fall Kvichak report

Myself and three others just got back from five days of fishing the Kvichak. Had an awesome trip; great fishing and stellar weather. We stayed with George Riddle at Blueberry Island Lodge; this man is an excellent host and one heck of a nice guy to hang out with for a week! Wish we had more time out there.... Guess we'll just have to go back next year!

Fishing for rainbows was more like trophy hunting... and you had to put your time in on the river; less numbers than Kenai fish but definately better quality. These fish fight with so much heart and spirit than any rainbows I've encountered before... and chrome like steel. It was both rewarding and humbling to even hook up out there... some landed, others lost, and just getting a good grab was more jolting than a hot cup o' coffee!

Despite the low numbers of returning sockeye this year to Bristol Bay waters, my friends and I still managed some quality fish by diligently covering ground and stalking likely "buckets" that looked fishy. We employed a variety of techniques from drifting beads and flesh (both fly rod and centerpin), to dredging and swinging with spey rods. Flies that produced for us were sculpins, leeches, and big nasty flesh flies. October caddis and smallish esl's even managed a few scrappy grayling.

Perhaps the best part about the whole trip was discovering new water and fishing at a time of year when there are relatively few others on the river. The weather wasnt bad, either. Anyone looking for a Do-It-Yourself style fishing trip on the Kvichak should check out Blueberry Island Lodge; comfortable accomodations with full kitchen, composting toilet, steambath, and reliable jon boats that will take you anywhere you want to go... though you dont need to go far from the lodge to get into good fishing. I'll try to post some more pics later...

Thanks again, George!
    Tight lines, everyone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0075.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	53819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0091.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	53820

Awesome trip report man. Thanks for sharing.

Been wanting to take the wife out to George's place for some time.

Whiskey River

Nice trip and thanks for sharing! West is the best!

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

i know goerge riddle through the alaska fly fishers, he is a great guy that runs a great operation!
    glad you had a blast!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

58°19'59"N 134°29'49"W

Booyah - way to do it.

PM coming here or the other one, I've got less than 48 hours til I leave myownself.

Awesome pictures, looks like it was a great time!