Thread: Daughters first moose!

Default Daughters first moose!

Well my "Lucky" 14 yo daughter, (who drew 3 permits this year: Kenai caribou, Delta cow moose, and Kodiak bear) was finally able to score on her moose. After an unsuccessful but very fun, Kenai caribou backpack trip. We traveled to Delta to try and score a cow moose.

It started with a quick trip to the range:201.jpg after a few adjustments she was putting them in the kill zone!

We then started the long drive to Delta after school, pulling a four wheeler and Polaris Ranger. Of course my hunting partner ended having to work late, so we got a later start then we wanted and got to Delta around 0230. Decided to just catch a nap in the truck and head up the trail at daylight.

After a short nap we loaded the wheelers and headed out and up the trail. As we are going in we come across some other guys hunting cows too and arrange a hunt plan so we are not stepping on each other. We reach a glassing spot and immediatly see a moose. A bull of course! Little did we know that was how the rest of our day was going to go. We rode to another spotting spot and again spotted yet another bull, not a cow to be seen anywhere. We ended up seeing 1 more bull that day before getting dark and heading back to camp.

The next day up the trail at daylight. Cold and VERY WINDY. We decided to go a different direction as we had seen the guys we talked to come out with a moose late in the night. Our first stop again revealed another bull, so moving on we proceeded up a ridge and jumped a cow and calf. Now we are at least seeing something closer to what we are looking for. We moved up the ridge further and while glassing the valley below I saw a very large bull about a half mile away, we knew a bull that size would have to have some cows with him, until we looked a little further and saw 2 even bigger bulls with 6 cows! We then saw what we were looking for, 2 cows bedded down across the valley from us. 455 yards though. To far for my daughter, so we started stalking across the valley to close the distance. As we got to the creek-bed we came up to a cut-bank and my partner gave us the hit the dirt signal. There was a cow in the creek-bed right below us. She didn't hear us due to the wind and was feeding about 75 yards away. I set my daughter up and she cracked off a round from her .243. We heard a solid hit and she took off into the brush. We sat and waited as another cow and calf ran from the creek-bed, we knew that she was hit and not seeing her run out we crossed the creek to see where she had gone. This is what we found!202.jpg Perfect lung shot!

Needless to say I was elated. She was kind of excited but as any father knows I was way more proud and excited than her. It was very cool to have both of my daughters along on this hunt. Neither complained and both helped out cutting her up and loading her into the Ranger. Great hunt. Now onto Kodiak in 2 weeks to kill that bear!

Congrats to the little lady!

Man, what a fall for your daughter! At such an important age, getting to spend this kind of time in the woods with her father is going to pay incredible dividends down the road. Good on you for taking her out so much, and congratulations to the young huntress for making a great shot!

Congrats to you and your girls. Way to go dad.

Well done ! That looks to be a young and tender eating moose your daughter bagged there. Here's to a safe and successful Kodiak hunt ! Be sure to take lots of pics.

Great job Pops taking them both out and Congrats to your young Huntress!
    I wish you great success on the next adventure - Oh, and hope if its a Griz she has a wee bit bigger gun?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Hunting with your children is the greatest gift ~ for both you and them.

Congrats!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Congrats! Two of my daughters got their first moose via the Delta cow permits! Good luck on your bear hunt!

Congrats! And it is shaping up to be quite a season for your daughter. Again congrats!!!

I'm green with envy. In 33 years of putting in for tags.. I have pulled exactly 5. She pulled 3 in one year? Tell her to go buy a lottery ticket!!! Happy to hear of her luck on the hunt!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?