Thread: Looking for a new 8wt. Advice?

Default Looking for a new 8wt. Advice?

Been out of the flyfishing game for 15 years or more and just recently got the bug again. I just got back from Cold Bay and had a blast catching silvers, and dogs on my old 8wt. It's time for a new rig so I'm solicitiing opinions. I realize this is a bit of a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing but thats why I'm asking a group. I just picked up a Sage 3880cf for a deal so I got the reel covered. Just looking for a rod. Single handed, fighting butt, roughly 9', 2 piece. Also, not looking to spend 7-9 bills on one! Like to keep it in the $300 range. OK, Let'er rip! And thanks!

Go fishing with a few folks and try some rods.

See what you would like.

Fish on!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Go fishing with a few folks and try some rods.

See what you would like.

Fish on!
    Go with other fly fisherman and go to fly shops and try some different rods. There are a few factors to consider for each individual to decide for themselves. Fly fishing gear companies have really bridged the gaps. Find something in your price range, the action that you want, the species you want to target, and buy it. I don't personally like using super expensive rods when targeting salmon, they seem to get really beat up. You can buy mid priced rods from almost ever company. St Croix and TFO imo make just fine salmon rods in the mid price range. But they do make higher end stuff. Now if buying a trout or steelhead rod, not that they don't get beat on, I prefer a higher end rod ie. Sage/ Gloomis/ Beulah. But those companies also make lower end models. It is a bit of a Chevy,Ford, Dodge thing, and you can choose what you like. I prefer Toyota!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Between my wife and I we have a rack full of 8's to draw from, and there's a lot to your casting style and past history. My wife is happiest with a Loomis Crosscurrent or a Winston because most of the time she's not making long casts and wants to save her arm a little. Those are in the price range you don't want to get to, but they're good examples of some of the lighter, more delicate 8's out there. Frankly there are TFO's that are similar in feel and performance for about 1/3 the money. We just got to cast their BVK 8-weight, and it may be enough to make her retire her favorite Loomis.

But I like making long casts even with bulky or heavy flies, so my tastes run to really stiff aggressive rods and lines, regardless of weight. Last year I retired all my Sage and switched to a Temple Fork TiCrX 8-weight. I swear I should get a cut from those folks, because everyone who tries it runs out and buys one for themselves. Most of the guys I fish with are Sage or Winston phreaks, but they still buy the TiCrX as a "backup." And before long the Sage or Winston is their backup. Just a dandy rod for only $250, and it will look any Sage, Loomis or Winston right in the eye.

Because of differences in taste and casting style, I'd move heaven and earth to cast a few before you buy, though. Each brand seems to have a spread of actions over and above brand differences. The good news is there are $250 models around that make it really hard to justify $700+ rods.

BTW- You mention 2-piece. Current model 4-pieces are excellent, to the point that it's getting harder and harder to find 2-piece. That's another detail for you to check and compare.

If I were spending $300 on an 8 wt rod, it would be a St Croix Legend Ultra 4 piece. Many good choices out there of course, but at this price point, I have not fished anything I liked better.

Go fingerbang a few at a shop and see what you like.

My personal tastes:

Echo Ion
    TFO Axiom, Clouser, or BVK
    Sage Z-Axis-- some killer deals right now on those, not much out of your price range

Look at garage sales this winter, you won't feel so bad if you step on it or close a car door on it. Bud
    Wasilla

Go to your nearest flyshop and cast all the 8wts. Whatever you do, DO NOT look at the brand names or the price tags of said rods, and keep the shop guy from telling you what any of them are. Just cast them.

Odds are, one will feel better to you than all the others.

That is your rod.

All the rest is internet postulation and hooha. If I was casting the rod, I would tell you what to buy...but YOU will be casting it.

Great advise guys. Thanks!
    As far as 2 piece vs 4 piece, years ago the 4 piece rods were much more fragile. Is that not the case now? It just seems that asalmon rod should be as tough as reasonably possible, but I may be off base or over thinking it.
    I plan to go to the shop and cast a few before I buy. My problem is that I know rods cast differently with different line on them and I wouldnt want to purchase a rod only to have it be different when I got it home. Also, I honestly am afraid that the fly shop guy will send me out the door for lessons before he sells me a rod after he sees my skills.....or lack there of. hahaha!

If they won't let you cast a rod, buy it elsewhere. G smolt gave good advice as usual. As for 4 piece rods, or multi piece rods in general, the technology is much better today than 20 years ago. I would certainly cast some 4 piece rods before buying a 5 foot rod tube with a 2 piece rod. 4 piece rods are pretty much the standard and travel well.

-Dan

Thanks again guys. Tuesday is the day. I'll go check out some rods and let you know what I come up with.

I second the TFOs. Those are some excellent rods for $250.

There is a 4-piece Wright & McGill's on Sierra Trading Post for $120 (9' 8 or 9 wt.) that includes a carrying case. I don't know much about WM flyrods, but I was thinking about buying one for that price - the reviews seem mostly positive. I kinda want the 9' 9wt.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.