Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing worms from halibut?

Default removing worms from halibut?

Just thought I would ask, do any of you remove them while you fillet or, just cook em up and eat em? If you remove them, how do you go about it? I just cleaned a couple of chickens that were pretty loaded and I guess I've been eating them all along... just wondering.

Mountaintrekker

I pretend their not there and eat up lol. Only alternative is to toss the fish out. Once properly cooked, they are not harmful.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The best way to remove worms from halibut is to cook the **** halibut and eat it.... Don't be a girl

Release Lake Trout

I remove the worms....

One forkful at a time....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Best way is to stop fishing for them. Stop keeping them if you do accidently hook one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Just thought I would ask, do any of you remove them while you fillet or, just cook em up and eat em? If you remove them, how do you go about it? I just cleaned a couple of chickens that were pretty loaded and I guess I've been eating them all along... just wondering.

Mountaintrekker

Hippie- rep coming soon.

Look even salmon have worms.... Almost if not all saltwater fish do. If you can't deal with it then you'd best just buy them from the store, they have Em too but you won't notice.....

Release Lake Trout

Thanks for all the hits at my manhood guys! I was just wondering! (back to eating my moose **** sandwich).

Default Wasabi!

Tried putting some wasabi powder on fish once. You'd have thought a worm pulled the fire alarm judging by how fast they left the fillet.

They're plenty visible in the raw fillets when you hold them up to a light. I just use the knife point to pick them out. Doesn't take long at all. For thicker fillets, I wait till I portion them out, then check with a light for worms. Same old same old in the canneries for cod, rockfish, pollack, flounder, and more.

Think of it as extra protein.

I fall into the "I don't think about it" category. Ignorance is bliss, but I do appreciate the reminder..(grin)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    .... Don't be a girl
    Nice........

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post

Mountaintrekker
    lay it out in hunks on wax paper on a tray, set into the freezer, as the top cools the worms will pull to the tray side. only works if worms are still alive, and gutting fish wil reduce worms in meat in the first place. as they head into the meat as the carcuss cools.

Or, cookem good
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

If you really knew of everything that was in the meat and produce that you ate that you could not see, you would not be eating at all.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I generally just cook em and eat em. I'll pick one out if its obvious, but no doubt, I've eaten hundreds of them. Same with the muscle cysts in moose. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...isease.muscle1

what worms???
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

the worms in Halibut (as with most fish) are more predominant in the belly meat... you can see them curled up when you begin filleting them, and flip them out with the point of your fillet knife... otherwise, just be thankful for the extra protein or you can PM me and I'll take all the wormy halibut off of your hands for you...!!!

What do you mean that fish have worms????? Yuk, I don't believe it!!! (hands covering ears and mumbling loudly to myself)
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Charterboat Operator

remember, its ONLY the larger halibuts that have worms!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    remember, its ONLY the larger halibuts that have worms!

Hope that's meant as levity....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast