Thread: 1917 Enfield Trigger Guard

Default 1917 Enfield Trigger Guard

Does anyone know of a gunsmith in Anchorage or the Mat-Su who could straighten the trigger guard of a 1917 Enfield? It would involve cutting off and rewelding the front tang, rebluing and some minor stock inletting. This was a very standard job 40 years ago.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

For that kind of work, I suggest you contact Stan Jackson in Anchorage.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

What I did I bought new bottom metal from Duane wiebe. Paid 275 for it. Think he is selling it for 325, but I think he shut that part of his operation down not sure.

Default 1917 trigger guard straightening

It is a little more involved than that on an existing rifle. If you were buying a new stock from Herters years ago you could get the stock already inletted for a straightened guard and no other mods but that was 40 -50 years ago.

You will also need to cut off the magazine box and inlet the whole back of the guard deeper into the stock and then change the contour of the stock around the bottom of the action to match the shortened height of the action to trigger guard. You also need to cut off the tip of the trigger and shortened the guard screws but that is minor work. Take the action and guard out of the stock and assemble them and you can visualize what needs to be done.

You will also lose a round or so magazine capacity but that usually ins't an issue.

If you have decent military parts I probably have a straightened guard and shortened box I could swap for yours.

Quote Originally Posted by lasgun View Post
    Does anyone know of a gunsmith in Anchorage or the Mat-Su who could straighten the trigger guard of a 1917 Enfield? It would involve cutting off and rewelding the front tang, rebluing and some minor stock inletting. This was a very standard job 40 years ago.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK