Thread: Snow conditions in the Kenai Mountains

Default Snow conditions in the Kenai Mountains

Winchester and I headed up for ptarmigan yesterday. Couple inches at 1200 feet and gradually worked into about 8 inches at 2700. There was a crust that I would break through evey step, Winchester could stay up most of the time. Saw a lot of tracks, a day late it seemed. Saw one whitetail past and that was it. Anyway, if I had brought snowshoes would have been able to hunt much further and harder. Who would think an avalanche by October 5.

Trying the first picture again.

Wow and avalanche already huhh! cool photos wish there was more birds for you, glad to see photo's out of the Kenai Mts. Being in Arizona I miss those mts. Can't wait next spring I'll be back.

Default Update

Back into the mountains yesterday. Sow has melted off up to around 2200 feet. After that it is still failry deep and snowshoes are a huge help. Unfortunately the crust on top has deteriorated and Winchester was breaking through about half the time, very hard on the dogs now. He found some on a west facing slope at 3000 feet. One of those times when you are thankful and sorry at the same time for having a big running setter. Took a couple of willows out of that covey after a hard climb and called it a day given the conditions for the dog.

The central Kenai mountains (Cooper Landing area) got dumped on pretty good today, 8+ inches above treeline, wet and heavy. Probably need a few days of settling/cold to minimize avalanche issues in those steeper valleys.