Thread: Skin this...

Default Skin this...

Since the threads are running to salmon skinning and salmon fat I thought I would drop this one in behalf of the skin itself. Salmon skin is completely edible and is a terrifc start to any AK meal. Here's how:

Take a bristle brush and remove and rinse the fine scales directionaly working from tail to collar. Then fillet and set these skins aside. Remove any of the gray areas still attached underneath. Cut these skins into diagonal pieces. Dust them with a coating of flour. Drop them into a skillet of hot oil and flip and fry until crisp. Drain and cool. Serve them with a dipping sauce of your choice.

You will be amazed when you discover yet another eatery bonus to this outstanding fish...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Chocolate lab

The Choco-lab, "Halle-the-brown-dog" gets the skins. If I were to start eating them she would be very upset and may eat the couch.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Atleast your dog will digest the skin. My dog will eat it, puke it, and finally roll in it. Usually she will do this in the bushes so I have no idea what is going on, maybe she just likes the surprised then PO'd look on my face. If she is feeling perky she will then eat it again. It sure gives her a hint of funk on the ride home.

Default Cooked, Man!

She gets them COOKED!

My hound will sneak them right off the bank, that and roe, carcasses, heads, etc etc. I don't even have a chance to cook it for her. :-/

Default Back home

Back home it will kill a dog. The salmon there have a particular parasite in the blood that will often kill the dog. Cooking the fish elminates any danger, but death was about 50%, and sickness was about 100%. We called it getting "salmoned". Apparently this is not a problem in AK though.

Default J in AK

Holy Cow, my self esteem has gone to the dogs. Am I the only person in Alaska that loves the skin, and think's its the best part???
    J

no you're not. its very tasty. i actually forgot about that little delicasy. they make some cool jewlery and everything from that stuff.

In addition to being tasty it also looks pretty good and wears well. I have a salmon skin wallet I bought in Ketchikan a few years ago that has held up very well. I also heard that one of the custom cowboy boot companies, Tony Lama or Lucchese maybe?? were going to do salmon leather boots. Wasn't interested enough to follow up.

I usually cook fillets skin on, peel off the skin when I serve it and then give the skin to my mutts. I'll try a bite myself next time we cook some up......might be too good to give to the dogs!!

Down here I use it for halibut bait, tipping the lures we use for the pacifics.

We only get the little guys here at 200# or below.

Bellies also work well but I also like to smoke them too so they don't always endup as bait.

I've seen fish skin fried up crispy, as mentioned earlier, on Iron Chef (Japan). They seemed to like it and be excited by it, but man, the Japanese will eat anything, and love it. I think I'll have to give it a try as well.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Holy Cow, my self esteem has gone to the dogs. Am I the only person in Alaska that loves the skin, and think's its the best part???
    J
    Cooked salmon skins are great...I love 'em! I prefer the lower whiter portions around the belly, but when properly scaled and cooked in butter the rest of the darker skin is good too.

My wife strongly disagrees and thinks I'm crazy. That just means more for me!

They are best done on a stick over an open fire of spruce wood. Just like doing marshmallows.