Thread: Electrical Power cable QUESTION: Line size...????

Default Electrical Power cable QUESTION: Line size...????

The meter head and (Remote service) panel will be approx. 275 feet to 300 feet from the cabin. They will deliver 200 AMP service to the meter head, using 2 ought wire .555 each in diameter.

I have to buy the 275 feet of cable, I have to dig the trench & install my buried line/cable.

Question: What is the smallest size aluminum cable that I should consider buying to have minimal loss of power 275/300 feet away at the cabin.......?

Second Question what would the diameter of the metallic part be, which has to fit into the buss.......?

Thank You,

I ran the calculation for 4/0 aluminum wire, 120 ac, 275 feet @ 200 amps. I came up with a 11v drop or 9% lost. I do not have any idea of the size or cost but I would guest 4/0, 3 wire underground cable would cost $30 to $50 pre foot and would be around 4 or 5 inch. in dia.

Thanks, I think I need to start with what size wire will fit the buss on the panel, It appears to be .375 Dia. (3/8").

You are going to need 4/0 due to the voltage drop, and you will need to buy larger lugs for it to fit.

American Wire Gauge
    4/0 = .4600"

3/0 = .4096

2/0 = .3648

1/0 = .3249

Sounds like you hava a 100amp panel in your cabin. If you want to bring 200amp power from your pedestal to the cabin, you will need 4/0 wire. If you have the proper type of meter base, one that you can put smaller breakers in such as a pair of 100 amp breakers, you can put in a 100 amp breaker there and run 1/0 (maybe #2 alum.. I don't have my book here at home) wire to the cabin. This will allow you to not have to buy reducer lugs for the ends AND save a bit of money on the wire. My retail price for 4/0-4/0-2/0 URD wire cut to length is 3.00 a foot. You should be able to pick up full roll pricing in Anchorage for just a little over 2.00 a foot. 2-2-2 aluminum URD is half that price.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default 100 amps is a lot

Sure you need a whopping 200 amps? Unless you contemplate electric heat, which would be a huge monthly drain on your income...

100 amps goes a long ways. There's a simple computation to convert that to the number of watts you can run from that number of amps, then you just add up all the electrical appliances you intend to ever use at one time. Include that arc welder, microwave, electric-stove, etc... if you got those. And include a surge-factor, like when you start up or burden your table saw with a long rip cut...

AGL- Doug is SPOT on. Everything he said is correct. I sell electrical material and can sell you direct burrial ALUM4/04/02/0 for $2.50 per foot. Current stock here in Anch. Send me a pm if I can help you...

unless you have a big cabin and are going to have an electric dryer, range and heat you dont need 200 amps. it does sound like you have a 100 amp panel, not a 200. try to go with 100 amp if you can that way you save some money on wire size. probably need a 1/0. there are voltage drop calculators on line you can use.

OK, about $1,200.00 to get the excavator down here, about $600.00 in rental fee, about $1,200.00 to mobilize machine back to Anchorage. The Panel Say's 200A. I want to have a large shop and a "REAL house someday. I am just not clear why I should dig a trench and install 100A service just to see if it will work. I am big on doing it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    OK, about $1,200.00 to get the excavator down here, about $600.00 in rental fee, about $1,200.00 to mobilize machine back to Anchorage. The Panel Say's 200A. I want to have a large shop and a "REAL house someday. I am just not clear why I should dig a trench and install 100A service just to see if it will work. I am big on doing it right the first time.
    Then clearly you should put in 200A service.

Once its installed and paid for, not a single soul ever said "Gee, I wish I had only half the electrical service amps I have now." ....

Sorry I questioned your 200A assumption in your initial post, about wire size to support that level; I was just trying to be helpful, as I'm sure the other posters that echoed my thoughts were. No worries, right?

How big of an excavator do you need? For that kind of money I'd haul mine down from Talkeetna AND run it for you. I could just bring the mini-excavator down behind the pickup if you only want it down 36".

Anyhow, 4/0 will be fine for 200 amp service. Particularly if you want a bigger house and shop in the future.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

OK, thanks to everyone for the help, I truly appreciate it. This is what I love about this forum. Thanks