Thread: What's the Strangest Bird/Animal Your Dog has ever Flushed/Pointed? I've got u beat!

Default What's the Strangest Bird/Animal Your Dog has ever Flushed/Pointed? I've got u beat!

Today I took both dogs (field bred English Springers) to the sports complex in south Anchorage to run around. Noticed Emma was acting unusual (Well, more unusual than she normally acts!) around a bunch of thickets. She would stick her head in there, withdraw it lickity split, stick it back in there, withdraw it as fast as possible. My first quick though was it's gotta be a snake, but just as quickly that thought went out the window. I walked over to where she was, grabbed her collar, bent down and peered real hard through the dead reeds & sticks. At first, couldn't see anything. So poked & moved leaves around. Just as I was about to draw her away, I saw it out the corner of my eye - the strangest, thickest grey fur EVER. Stooped down further towards the ground & peered through the grass & saw these small, beady eyes looking right back. Emma found a Chinchilla! Poor little guy didn't know how close he was to being her lunch. Thankfully, he was frozen in fear, for if he would have decided he wanted to make a break for it, he would have been history with her breathing down his back. What a chase that would have been. Was lucky enough to catch it & bring him home. He's in her dog kennel on the floor & Emma's just staring at it & drooling & giving me the evil look that reads "I saw him first - he's should've been mine"!

That's funny! One of my Brittanys has twice pointed - and once barked at before running back to my side - the 600 pound Alaska "Chinchilla." Not so funny.

You win...so far!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    That's funny! One of my Brittanys has twice pointed - and once barked at before running back to my side - the 600 pound Alaska "Chinchilla." Not so funny.

You win...so far!

Jim
    If she would have flushed out a bear, I would have considered that an "O SH*T, What do I do now" moment! Especially if she hie tails it for me with a bear in tow....

That's funny. I was at the sports complex today between 12:30 and 1:30. Was hoping to meet up with you. That's a really nice place. Not too many dogs, but enough to get the pup used to. Maybe next week I'll make it out there again...

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    That's funny. I was at the sports complex today between 12:30 and 1:30. Was hoping to meet up with you. That's a really nice place. Not too many dogs, but enough to get the pup used to. Maybe next week I'll make it out there again...
    Ugh! I would have been there today, too, if it weren't for the fact I was waiting for my daughter's friend to pick up this Chinchilla & cart it away. If they don't come today, it will end up at the pound or if anyone else on this board wants this critter, PM me! Dogs are going batty with it in the house.

I still want to see your puppy Rob - next time you head down to the park, give me a heads up & I'll meet you to see her. I'll bring my two & you can see how they work the field & find more rat-like creatures called Chincillas....

Dog don't point but he did retrieve a live chicken and drop it in the wife's lap to her surprise.