Thread: Cutting new trail....

Default Cutting new trail....

After a successful hunt in a really alder/brushy area, I'm considering going back this spring or summer to extend the trail and go around some boggy spots. Is there a method other than chainsaw by foot? Is there any old tricks involving a quad? I have a 93 quad runner and a 99 king quad.

Also what is the official legal status of cutting alders?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Here you go! http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/gen_allow_use.pdf

Make sure you know who owns the ground you are on though!!

just remember if you cut it they will come, meaning other hunters

How far of a trail hasta be cut? In my experience, anything that looks like a trail will wind up with more than you using it.

Mowing alders down with the Ranger has worked best, then spring time new growth starts and it looks el naturale until season. I have a few spots that I like to camp a few times a year, but when I leave I like the no trace concept.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Its in the super thick yellow stuff, so I plan to go about 20 feet in from a known landmark and THEN start cutting trail. It's already off a trail that way back in the boonies already. Very rare to see others back where we are. I guess its the chainsaw for me. Apparently you need a permit to use anthing other than on foot. Thanks anyway.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I'd look at one of the saw blade brush cutters. They are wicked fast, and no leaning over. Nice to have another guy to drag out brush.
    If I use a saw to cut brush, I try to cut stuff small/short enough to just run over instead of throwing everything off to the side.
    ARR