Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taller Front Sight for 4" Redhawk

Default Taller Front Sight for 4" Redhawk

I need a taller front sight for my 4" Redhawk. The revolver shoots 5" high at 25 yards with the rear sight cranked all the way down when firing heavy cast loads. Anybody know where I might find replacement sights in various heights that will fit the 4" Redhawk? Thanks.

I don't know of anybody who makes replacement front sights for the 4 incher. If to want to bring it by WWG I can make you an extra tall one that you can file down as you shoot, or I can file and regulate it for you. Shouldn't be too awful expensive and if you want a colored insert in it I can do that too.

Bowen makes a taller front sight specifically for the 4" Redhawk.

Towards the bottom of the page.
    http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/part...nt_sights.html

I'm uncertain what the height is, but this replacement sight has been on my mind for a while now...

REPLACEMENT
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'm uncertain what the height is, but this replacement sight has been on my mind for a while now...

REPLACEMENT
    I installed one of those on my 4" redhawk. works good.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post

REPLACEMENT
    I hadn't seen that one but like the looks of it thanks.

Thanks for all the ideas. I found a sight height calculator and determined I need about 0.035" more height on the front sight. I noticed the rear sight could not be snugged all the way down to contact the frame, so I removed it, and found out the rear sight rests on a little elevated pad inside the channel. I took a small file and filed the pad down a little and the rear sight will now crank all the way down. Now I need to get out to the range and see how it affects POI. Bad news is I kinked the pawl plunger spring when I was doing a trigger job while I had the revolver out working on it, and now have to wait on the new one to come from MidwayUSA before I can fire it again.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I installed one of those on my 4" redhawk. works good.
    Is it the same height as the factory sight? Hi-Viz told me it was so I haven't bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Is it the same height as the factory sight? Hi-Viz told me it was so I haven't bought one.
    I'll measure today and post this evening.
    Doug

I'll measure today and post this evening.
    Doug
    .375, same as the factory sight.

.375, same as the factory sight.
    That's the dimension Ruger gave me when I called them as well. When I told him I needed a taller front sight so I could regulate the revolver for 340 cast bullets, he said Ruger did not offer any taller front sights, and that the revolver was designed for standard ammunition. He suggested 240 grain jacketed hollow points. I guess the reality is that not very many people who carry Redhawks are concerned with brown bears when they go out for a stroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dummy View Post
    That's the dimension Ruger gave me when I called them as well. When I told him I needed a taller front sight so I could regulate the revolver for 340 cast bullets, he said Ruger did not offer any taller front sights, and that the revolver was designed for standard ammunition. He suggested 240 grain jacketed hollow points. I guess the reality is that not very many people who carry Redhawks are concerned with brown bears when they go out for a stroll.
    Thats pretty funny. I am sure the majority of .44 mag owners do not worry about brown bears but there are plenty of them that shoot stiff loads and large weight bullets and have the same issue with the sights.

25 yards is 900 "

Sight Radius is 7.5"

7.5/900 = .000833

sighting error is 5 "

5" * .000833 = .0417" need to correct POI

OR.....error (5") * Sight radius (7.5") / Distance (900")

7.5" for sight radius is an estimate and you may want to raise your rear sight to have some adjustment and shoot for new (greater) error and calculate for that. Maybe add .010" to the front, and have room to adjust that down.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Pawl plunger spring came, and the revolver is back together. DA pull is nice and slick after the polishing. Now I need to get it out to the range and see how lowering the rear sight helped with the POI issue.

Pawl plunger spring came, and the revolver is back together. DA pull is nice and slick after the polishing. Now I need to get it out to the range and see how lowering the rear sight helped with the POI issue.
    What did you do to lower the rear sight?????? How does polishing the DA pull help it shoot lower???? Maybe I just missed something. Sorry for being so scientific.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What did you do to lower the rear sight?????? How does polishing the DA pull help it shoot lower???? Maybe I just missed something. Sorry for being so scientific.
    The trigger job is not related to the POI issue. It just had a trigger pull that was not what I wanted, so I fixed it. As far as lowering the rear sight, if you will remove it, you will notice there is a an elevated pad in the bottom of the channel that the rear sight rides in. I took it down a little with a small flat file and also took some metal off the bottom of the sight cutout above the hammer. The result is the rear sight was able to be lowered a bit. I also removed the rear sight blade and took a few strokes off the top with a file, effectively shallowing the notch, which should also help to bring POI down. I'm hoping between the two of them, the POI issue will be fixed.

The trigger job is not related to the POI issue. It just had a trigger pull that was not what I wanted, so I fixed it. As far as lowering the rear sight, if you will remove it, you will notice there is a an elevated pad in the bottom of the channel that the rear sight rides in. I took it down a little with a small flat file and also took some metal off the bottom of the sight cutout above the hammer. The result is the rear sight was able to be lowered a bit. I also removed the rear sight blade and took a few strokes off the top with a file, effectively shallowing the notch, which should also help to bring POI down. I'm hoping between the two of them, the POI issue will be fixed.
    I see. I have filed the bottom of the blade on Rugers to lower it a bit to correct POI. I prefer not to make the notch shallower. I like my rear sight to be locked down at the bottom anyway, it seems to make it more stable. The sight is a little loose and flimsey. Hamilton Bowen makes his Rough Country sight for the Rugers. It is very substantial and much more rugged. The Ruger sight seems to get bent or twisted when carried in the wilds so I like to change to the Rough Country. I did change the front sight on my 4" RedHawk to fix the same problem but don't know where I got the sights and I left the gun in Alaska. Ruger couldn't or didn't use the standard Redhawk front on that gun so it's pinned in rather than with the clever little set and notch of the longer Redhawks. I am down now to only the 5" Redhawk now and find it well sighted with the Rough Country and three different changeable fronts. And of course the trigger job, both SA and DA must be done.

I too liked the HiViz front sight for my 4" Redhawk. Here is what I did... Since you will need to drill the hole in the sight for the
    role pin anyway I put a shim under the sight. So it would not shoot loose the shim was cut to encircle the slit the sight fits into.
    It has been some time now so I do not recall exactly what I used for the shim but it was either cut from a beer can or from feeler
    guages you can buy at any hardware store. I am no gunsmith, just took my time and turned out well.
    There is a small gap between the sight and gun but I really wanted to use HiViz sight with a "One Ragged Hole" apature/peep sight
    I had previously bought. I like the combo and shoot max 325 grn Beartooth hardcast.

I have a 4" redhawk 45 also. I replaced the front sight with a front sight blade for a 45 blackhawk stainless steel with 7.5 inch barrel from midwayusa ($6). The sight is about 0.46 inch tall - measured from the top of the barrel to top of sight when installed. Just had to file a little off the bottom and drill a hole for the roll pin. The rear sight is about 3/4 turn from the bottom for 360 gr loads and I turn up 1 3/4 turns for my 250 gr target loads.

Quote Originally Posted by theguy52 View Post
    I have a 4" redhawk 45 also. I replaced the front sight with a front sight blade for a 45 blackhawk stainless steel with 7.5 inch barrel from midwayusa ($6). The sight is about 0.46 inch tall - measured from the top of the barrel to top of sight when installed. Just had to file a little off the bottom and drill a hole for the roll pin. The rear sight is about 3/4 turn from the bottom for 360 gr loads and I turn up 1 3/4 turns for my 250 gr target loads.
    Is there anyway you can post a pic of this modification?
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast