Thread: Best Havalon knife?

Default Best Havalon knife?

Like a dope, I lost my wife's good knife on a caribou hunt this year, and I need to replace it. I've heard great things about the Havalons, but I'm not sure of which model would be best. Which is the best all-around knife for moose, caribou, etc.? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Piranhta with orange handle. Just drop a lil lactate on the clip screws.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Without a doubt, the Cutco hunting model. 6 inch blade with serration. We average about 5 moose before we have to send one in for sharpening... You can buy them with a bright orange grip which helps you keep track of it when dealing with bigger game. Our whole hunting party uses them. I've tried just about everything and they are by far the best!

http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=5718

I rock both the Cutco hunting model and the Havalon knife w/replaceable blades. I got a draw full of nice knives that don't even get used anymore because I have found this combo to be the best there is IMO. Both have orange handles, so no worries on losing one in the dark or leaving it on the ground when leaving the kill site or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What TWB said!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

I dont think my wife would go for that...lol

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I dont think my wife would go for that...lol
    Son of a.... Tapatalk apparently spell checks post-submition. Lol.

Loc-TITE!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Holy cow- I was wondering where you were going with that! Thanks, all for the help.

I should have added something useful to my post.

A havalon would NOT be my first choice for field butchering. It is a phenominal knife for caping, splitting lips, ears...fine blade work.

It will work for major stuff...moose butchering, bear skinning, etc. But the blades are too flimsy, IMO. You dont want to twist on the knife at all or the blade can snap and come flying back at you. I had this happen while skinning out yote toes last winter.

Yikes- sounds scary. Thanks for that- I thought they looked a bit fragile for heavy-duty stuff, so I'll keep that in mind. I saw the Cutco knife, but there isn't any mention of price that I can see. Does it vary depending on who you buy it from? Thanks again, all.

My buddy and I did our moose this year with his CUTCO and my Havalon. Two different knives with benefits to both. As a team we had that thing dressed out pretty quickly. The Havalon does have a thin blade that probably doesn't handle lateral force very well, but it is SO sharp. I didn't need to change the blade at all for that one moose, it just slides through hide and membrane like nothing. So did his, but in close to the guts the Havalon got the nod every time.

There is a guy named Josh Wood in Ancorage that sells the CUTCO stuff. (thecutcoguy.com)

I use both the Cutco DD serrated and the Havalon Piranta-EDGE
    with Blaze Orange Handle. This makes a great combo.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    You need to start leaving some for the rest of us! Lol

Really like the new Cutco folding serrated as well, it and the Havalon are great sheep gear.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I read through the archives and decided to go with this combo also. Liked them enough I just bought the same combo for my better half. No more knife swappin.....

Default Sharpening a Havalon

Sure the Havalon has replaceable blades, but you can still sharpen one instead of tossing it.

Since the blade is scalpel-thin, it takes just 20 seconds on a ceramic rod sharpener to put a new edge on it and then continue with your work.

OK, maybe I'm just a cheapskate.

I agree with the comment that you can't use a Havalon in any sort of lever -ing maneuver as that will snap the blade right away. As will stepping on it when afield (and its open) like my buddy did this year to mine (snap snap and new blade installed, so no problem; just glad he didn't cut his boot). If you use it only as a cutter, I don't know a better knife out there.

I have used the havalon for skinning critters from the trapline and must say I enjoyed the scalpel like sharpness and quick change to a fresh blade but being a knife nut I have found better options for critter skinning and field dressing. I've looked at the cutco's online and can't say they turn my gears. Really I am not sure what the hoopla is all about with the cutco's? What steel do they even use for their blades? I'd like to get one in my hands before I write them off the worthy list. When I look for a knife I look for a design with mucho belly, good steel, comfortable ergos, durability, and light weight.

Lips, eyes, nose etc, give me a razor blade. The short yet extremely controllable point of a razor blade has been my ticket for fine work. They are cheap and you get two sides of the blade to work with. A cheap beaver knife is fantastic for fatty critters.

My Helle safari has been my trusted field knife for a few years. Reason being is I just love the looks. It's comparable to a sexy women that cannot cook or give good..... Ah nm. The blade is too long and not enough belly. I've found wide, short, blades make for a better field dressing knife. Add a light weight FFG hardened tool steel blade and you have a serious winner. See ESSE knives (izula), Becker necker etc as an example. The Spyderco Persian looks great but too expensive to be digging sockets and scraping bone.

Time for a visual

The ESSE Izula on the bottom was easily twice the field dressing knife at half the price of the Helle, and a lighter package, considerably tougher, only sacrificing a slight drop in ergos.

Also in the pic, for anyone looking for a premo stone look no further than the Spyderco double stuff. Love it!