Thread: New 26'x 8'6" Custom Build at Glaciercraft

Default New 26'x 8'6" Custom Build at Glaciercraft

Hey guys, I noticed that this sub-forum has been inactive for a few weeks so I thought I would post one. I am having Scott build a custom model that will share the GC 9'6" cabin. I have been collecting ideas and parts to make this a reality and would appreciate any thought or ideas/innovations that would make this boat as good as it can be. The boat has less dead-rise than the Coho model with a steep bow entry. It has a bell-type transom that will get the outboard bracket (full hull ext) and will be powered by a single Suzi 300 and kicker. Working on a tight budget and I do appreciate all the nice folks that has helped me so far with deals and parts and ideas. What would be nice is if I could see a comparable boat in the Anchorage area so if you have one in town and won't mind me poking around, let me know. What Scott has in his shop is larger models and ones earlier in the build-stage so not as helpful.

I will be doing my own out-fitting over the winter so I have a bit more latitude on just about everything. Thanks!

What year is he giving for a completion date?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    I will be doing my own out-fitting over the winter so I have a bit more latitude on just about everything. Thanks!
    Has he started this build? You are far braver than I am for taking on a project with that company good luck!

Spoiled One, it will be done in December 2011 for his part. I am having him utilize the resources that he has access to such as the router for detailed cutting and the welding of all major components. In all fairness, I think after reading everything here and talking to him and some due-diligence, I am comfortable with the decision. In my experience, there is always at least two sides to every story and to be sure there is merit to some of the stories shared by others in this forum but I also know many others who are not members of the forum who have presented their opinions to me personally and I think I am doing the right thing. Seems that nobody has any significant complaints on the end product, but the build process itself.
    My boat is a bit different than most others in that the hull is already made by All-American Marine and at this point, the major components, design and planning is complete. Scott has installed the stiffeners, bulkheads and tankage and is working on the gunwales which will be followed by the cuddy and cabin work.

I will be doing all the out-fitting which can take a lot of time but I anticipate doing that in the winter. My schedule at this point is to get boat from Scott in December and have January through March to complete the outfitting. I do have experience with this work so I don't anticipate any surprises on my part. My 30x50 man-cave will be very busy this winter.

Bottom line, I live near his shop and I am keeping tabs on what is going on and he has held up to his part of the deal so I will keep going until it is done. I do love the design and hope to put in my own custom touches to make it my own.

Sounds like you have done your research and you seem comfortable with your decision. That is what is important and what matters. I look forward to seeing it on the water. How much fuel will she carry? Are you setting it up with a galley? How about some pictures?

I will have 2-100 gallon fuel tanks, 10 gallon diesel tank and a 35 gallon water tank. I am thinking it should give me about a 400 mile range with the Single Suzi 300. It will have a galley but I have not finalized that yet. I like cooking with a flame like alcohol but don't like the smell but the diesel stoves are slow and my experience with them have been spotty. I do have a Dickenson Bristol that I was thinking of putting in for both heat and cooking but have decided to go with an Espar air heater 4K model with a "hot-box" for warm socks, gloves or a sandwich. I am also considering a heating coil for hot water from the same source. It will be all Garmin system with auto-pilot and dash mounted 5212. I also have an Electrodyne puller that I am thinking of a bulk-head mount with a davit system that folds out of the way. I am going to put in a composting toilet which will also simplify things. I am also designing an area for a Honda 1000 watt generator (maybe in the transom) so that I don't have to keep it on the cockpit floor.
    I have also decided on a free-fall vertical windlass instead of the easy-anchor since I will end up with a large anchor locker (about 24" with over 36" drop). I know everyone does not agree but I like the free-fall for the bumps that I fish.

One question. Does everyone like the radar pedestal instead of the arch? I am on the fence on this as I think they look cool and is easier to run the wires but it seems to add to the height and takes up room from the storage up there. I can already see that the lights up there would yield too much glare to be effective and would put in a remote spot light somewhere closer to the bow if not right on the bow. I would be mounting a Radome, Cell Boost Antenna, Satellite Phone Antenna, GPS Antenna and maybe an IP66 PTZ camera (FLIR if I win the lottery).

I will post pictures if I can figure out how to do it. It has been a while since I have posted pictures.

Here is a link to posting pics: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...sting-Pictures

Personally, I like the look of the pedestal better than an arch, but like you mentioned, you lose storage space. Let me know when you make the move to your shop. I would like to take the tour. Perhaps on a day Mitch is in town.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    ......What would be nice is if I could see a comparable boat in the Anchorage area so if you have one in town and won't mind me poking around, let me know.
    Contact me via PM. You can see ours.

OK here goes. Obviously just getting started on the build and looks a bit different than the regular GC. I think everyone is probably familiar with the build process but Scott seems to think it is closer to a Bayweld than a GC design. When done it will definitely have the GC lines.

interesting design of the hull, but I don't think it looks much like a bayweld hull though. What is the deadrise at bow entry and stern? Sounds like your going to be having a fun and busy winter.
    Boatless

Fishface, the aspects of the hull that has been pointed out to me that is more similar to the Bayweld than GC is the keel and the bell transom. There is a long piece of aluminum (3/8 or 1/2 inch thick) that is about 5 or 6 inches tall going from stem to stern. This keel is then welded inside and out to the 1/4 inch sheet that is the hull. This is really old school design that many builders no longer do but I am told that Bayweld still does on some of their models. The entry is probably about 55 or 60 degrees and gradually goes to about 14 degrees on the transom I am guessing. It is not very steep deadrise at transom and I am hoping that will give me better fuel efficiency.

Good looking hull, it should be a good boat when you get her completed, it sure looks like a hull that was for sale on Craigs, seems like it was in Delta Jct last year?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

How is the build going? Any updated pics?

Any updates, just curious how the build is going?

PM me and we can talk.