Thread: Tipi tent stoves

Default Tipi tent stoves

So I'm in the market for a stoved shelter for early and late season outings, looking for feedback between Ak Tent, Kifaru and TiGoat stoves.

All fairly equal in size, materials and price.

When set up, which box is tighter ie less gaps in the walls? I've read about some that have had embers popping through the cracks, if I'm gonna drop $200 bones on a stow, I want it to be a good one.

So far, I'm considering adaptin an Ak T&T stove to a Kifaru 6 man w/liner.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The answer partly depends on how you hunt and camp. If weight is a big concern, you'll be looking for stoves that built of lighter-gauge materials. If space is a concern, a takedown stove is better. Those 2 factors are why the Kifaru stoves are popular. Unfortunately, the nature of takedown stoves is that they are not airtight. They burn faster and with less control than an airtight (or nearly so) stove. It's the nature of the beast. If you can afford them, Four Dog stoves have a great rep for construction and performance...all titanium including the flue pipe. Think $500 to $1,000 when you're all done, depending on size, options, etc.

If weight is much less of an issue, you can look at a variety of heavier steel stoves. They tend to be tighter and studier than the ultralight stoves, but at additional poundage.

Primary use- late season atv trips, winter hunts, ice fishing. To me, a tight stove would be more efficient on wood, pointing me towards the model at Alaska Tent, which I looked at earlier and seems built very well.

Tough to compare without hands on. Four dog stoves look nice, but come with a steap price!!

TiGoat VS Kifaru. I may enlist my dad who has access to a sheetmetal shop.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Primary use- late season atv trips, winter hunts, ice fishing. To me, a tight stove would be more efficient on wood, pointing me towards the model at Alaska Tent, which I looked at earlier and seems built very well.

Tough to compare without hands on. Four dog stoves look nice, but come with a steap price!!

TiGoat VS Kifaru. I may enlist my dad who has access to a sheetmetal shop.
    I've handled the TiGoat which looked tighter than my Kifaru Medium. I want you to try this: Call up fourdog right now, and tell me A. How long it took for him to call you back, and B. how long from that initial call it took for him to actually place an order. You won't be happy and you certainly won't be ready for the winter. If you do, I'm happy for you as the stoves are very nice. I bought a Kifaru for an occasional warm-up in the morning when getting out of the sleeping bag or drying gear. It works very good for that. As for winter use........it's the most retarded thing I've ever done. Try waking up every hour to stoke the stove at 30-40 below zero and doing that for 5-7 days. I was one grumpy SOB. A tight cylinder stove would have been much much better and not a problem at all regarding weight. Sometimes people's eye gloss over with this lightweight stuff, it isnt always the only solution.

Kifaru: a warm up in the morning or evening during late fall hunts.
    30-40 below camping: Get a real stove.

I only write this from experience, not hypothetical thoughts on personal future purchases.

If space and weight aren't a deal breaker - get a cylinder stove from AK Tent & Tarp or the Four Dog. My buddy bought the small Four Dog stove and loves it!

I use the size large TI Goat Vertex stove because space and weight is a concern for my type of hunts. I consider it a pretty good stove and it heats up my TI Goat Vertex 8 tipi nicley. My biggest complaint is the door is so friggen small I can't even get my hand inside to stack the kindling, light the fire, or arrange the wood so it burns better (stack it) - drives me crazy.

[QUOTE=mainer_in_ak;1017647]
    Kifaru: a warm up in the morning or evening during late fall hunts.
    30-40 below camping: Get a real stove.

Agree 100%. I have Kifaru large stove in my 8-man tipi. Works great during fall, for winter airtight stove needed...

I love my titanium stove. No rust to deal with. Also can burn hotter without warping. A full box is fine because you can put the pipe inside. I have a collapsible stove that I don't use anymore since I got my Titanium Four Dog box stove.

I did some research on them and ended up with the goat. Their customer service is great. The reason that I went with it is the fact that it's a tighter set up but I did get the Kifaru tipi. I love the design and the weight but the truth is that the temps never got cold enough for us to fired it up so it will have to wait until next moose trip
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I've had the 12 man Tipi for a decade and tried a couple different stoves.....I soon gave up and bought a 4 Dog Titanium.....I'm far happier. Tent and stove weighs in the 20 pound area......great for Supercub flights.

Second for Vern. I use the same titanium stove in my arctic oven for the snow machine trips. Arctic oven is no Supercub tent.

Agree with jpost above on the TiGoat Vertex stove: great package where size/weight are priorities, but the door is small and will only allow for kindling size fuel. Good stove, easy enough to assemble and the metal is holding up well in 3rd year... but we use if for warmups - breakfast and supper times or drying out otherwise. Good luck.

If you do get a Kiraru, it will fit some fairly large pieces. Always cut the pieces so that they take up the full length of the stove. Split the pieces so that they just barely fit through the door. Use a piece of reflectix insulation under the stove. It will be cool to the touch and reflect that usable heat into the dwelling. Clean the ashes once a day, it helps the stove push out more heat. Dry spruce works very well. With dry spruce over very hot coals, you can get up to a 2 hour burn when you damp it down and use both spark arrestor screens. Bang screens against stove frequently to keep them clean. If you should camp in 40 below weather, bring extra reflectix insulation to drap around the perimeter of the tent because if your bag touches the side of the tent, it robs the heat from your bag at an alarming rate. Reflectix insulation is light, and is your best friend.