Thread: To the Airboating Community from a fellow freighter and paddling canoeist:

Default To the Airboating Community from a fellow freighter and paddling canoeist:

Just wanted to let yah know that not all Alaskan Rafters, Kayakers, or canoeists loathe the air boaters. Since I've been on this forum I've read of folks who want to throw rocks, or have thrown rocks at air boaters, sick dogs on em, give em the finger, etc. They way I see it......aint no need to be "boat racists" If I was broke down on the river, I'd hope to flag one yah down for help.

I My Self Have Had To Do That Before For A Women In A Canoe, She HAd Flipped The Canoe And We Stopped And Picked Her And The CAnoe Up And Took Her Back To Her House She Loved The Heater She Was Cold. She Thanked Us And Gave Us Some Fresh Made Apple Pie. Everone Has A Way That They Want To Travel And We Have To Respect The Ways They Want To Do It. When I'm Out And People Flip Me Off I Just Wave Back At Them No Us Being Inorant Like Them. But There Our People That Run Airboats That Don't Pay Attention To There Back Wash From There Props And That Does Make People Mad When You Get Them Wet Our Get Mud And Dirt Blowed All Over Them Our There Equipment.

Good thread.

I know two years ago, I almost dumped the canoe over in Lake Louise with some larger waves and a slighly unbalanced load. I had to split off from the rest of the group and head for shore where I could bail out the extra water and then just putt putt along the shore the rest of the way to avoid the chance of swamping in deeper water. My dad stopped at the channel and saw I wasn't behind him any more. He flagged down an airboater that was coming through and they gave him a ride back toward me to make sure I was okay. Very helpful couple.

Have to agree with Skip. I just wave back When I do my tours and run up to the Talkeetna from the Su most people wave others let me and my guest know we are #1 . As far as Rafters, Kayakers, or canoeists go when I see them I give them plenty of space. And for those Rafters, Kayakers, or canoeists that do not know when you hear an airboat comming paddle for deeper water not towards the bank as we like "SKINNY" water . And for those other Rafters, Kayakers, or canoeists that just plan hate us I would suggest taking up hiking
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I'm sure airboaters are nice people, and they have real cool watercraft. But their boats are so dang LOUD!
    I was surprised how far away I could them on the Susitna when hunting on the Denali Highway.

I'm not a hater, I try to live and let live be it noisy boats, snow machines, etc. But as the state gets more heavily populated and used by a variety of user groups, the loud guys are going to have to figure a way to quiet down or they will restrict things for all of us.

I've seen a few down here, though I don't think they are legal on any of the Kenai's rivers (they were on the Fox at one time), but I noticed that the KNWR folks are already starting to rally against snow machines re: noise and moose, and my guess is the rest of the feds will follow suit in time.

The loud guys ruin it for everyone.

In That Case They The People In Airplanes Need To Park Them I Have Mufflers The Noise You Here On Airboats Are The Props, I Would Hate To Tell You How Much Money I Have Spent To Make Mine As Quit As Possable. I Have Silencers In My Mufflers I Have The Slowest Reduction You Can Get To Slow My Props Down So I Have More Thrust And Less Noise Form The Props And The Quietest Props You Can Get, Nothing Cheap But I I'm Trying To Do My Best To Quiet It Down. But On The Other Hand Not Ever One Has The Money Our The Know How To Do That And Thats A Fact Of Life That Other User Groups Will Have To Under Stand, Thats Like The Guy That Drives A Corvette And The Guy That Drives A Ugo Were Both Trying To Get To The Same Place With Diffrent Bank Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'm sure airboaters are nice people, and they have real cool watercraft. But their boats are so dang LOUD!
    I was surprised how far away I could them on the Susitna when hunting on the Denali Highway.

I've seen a few down here, though I don't think they are legal on any of the Kenai's rivers (they were on the Fox at one time), but I noticed that the KNWR folks are already starting to rally against snow machines re: noise and moose, and my guess is the rest of the feds will follow suit in time.

The loud guys ruin it for everyone.

FYI, some of the newer props for airboats are so quiet you can talk over them without yelling when sitting just a few feet in front of them. Mufflers can and do quiet the motor to where it isn't any louder then your pick up. Combine the two and you have no more noise then a average jet boater. In case you are not aware, most of the road accessable national wildlife refuges, such as Tetlin, and Yukon Flats are already not allowed for airboats. I hope any further restrictions will be for noise level, db levels, and not for airboats in general. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    In That Case They The People In Airplanes Need To Park
    Since we are all venting about loud things do not leave out the Harley guys or those dang truckers with the jake brakes. In the end we all should just get along after all one day one of us is going to need help,If your in a canoe,raft,jet boat or whatever needing help . I would hope we put our differences aside and stop and help. I have taken people out in the airboat before that Hate them and by the time we get back they understand why we use them. and as Skip said Were Both Trying To Get To The Same Place With Diffrent Bank Accounts . The more I think about it as much as I have invested in my boat I could buy a nice plane But then I would need a friend with a boat
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    FYI, some of the newer props for airboats are so quiet you can talk over them without yelling when sitting just a few feet in front of them. Mufflers can and do quiet the motor to where it isn't any louder then your pick up. Combine the two and you have no more noise then a average jet boater. In case you are not aware, most of the road accessable national wildlife refuges, such as Tetlin, and Yukon Flats are already not allowed for airboats. I hope any further restrictions will be for noise level, db levels, and not for airboats in general. Bud
    That's good to know, and I agree with you about any further restrictions on anyone.
    As far as airplanes go, Skip, they are noisy, and then they are gone. Not the case with (most) airboats. They are Noisy, and noisy, and noisy and noisy and noisy... for a long time.
    (And what's the deal with the capital on every word?)

Just The Way I Type Sorry Always Done It And Proley Aways Will, But As Roger Said The Guy I Work With *****ed And Complained About Airboats All The Time He Went Riding With Me One Night In Mine My Cell Phone Rang In My Shirt Pocket And He Looked At Me And He Had A Set Of Head Phones On, I Told Him Oh You Can Here My Cell Phone Ring Over The Airboat And A Set Of Head Phones On To. He Was Bragging About Going For A Ride In The Airboat To Other People And How He Liked It. You Know I See More Wild Life In My Airboat Then I Ever Did In My Jet Boat Our Flatbottom Boat. They Just Set There And Look At You Like It And Airplane. But Like Roger Said If You Need Help You Will Be Happy To See Me Because I'm Going To Help You If You Need It And Not Just Drive By Oh Well You Flipped Me The Bird To Bad. I Started Out With A Canoe And Now I Have An Airboat And I'm 55 And I'm A Disabled Vet And It Takes Me To Where I Want To Go And Can Afford It. So Each In There Own Don't Cut Them Down Till You Have Rode In One, Alot Of My Customer Our On A Limited Budget And Can't Afford The Better Stuff To Make There Boats Quieter Sorry

If you have a quiet airboat I'd love to ride on it. As I said, airboats are cool, and I'm not a hater, just an observer of how things are going in Alaska and what we might need to do to maintain our use of the land and water.
    I like big wheeled "tundra buggies", 4x4s, airboats, airplanes, snow machines, ATVs, UTVs, jet boats, snowshoes, skis, dog sleds, plain old foot power. I hope we can all keep being out there, because some people don't want us to be.

Oh, and canoes too. Love canoes (except ones with surface drives and mud buddys).

​Just kidding!