Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96

Thread: Cantwell Resident in trouble for aiding troopers........!

  1. #1
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default Cantwell Resident in trouble for aiding troopers........!

    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  2. #2
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    This has been the topic of discussion on 650 AM Rick Rydell all morning.
    Seems like the park service is overstepping their authority and being ridiculous again.
    BK

  3. #3

    Default

    Good sameritan law maybe...I would HOPE that if this kid does get a ticket that the troopers involved will at the very least pay his fine. After all isnt that what anyone else would do?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Story seems to have all sorts of unnecessary information. My first question is: At what point did the dude with the ATV learn he was helping troopers that had been hunting ... instead of some other hunters? The story seems extremely misguided and goes a long way to create an erosion of trust between hunters and the troopers.

    The spin on "only federal qualified subsistence users are allowed to ride ATVs into Denali Park" is most interesting. If the kid got off the ATV, handed the hunter the keys and said ... go get it, appears no violation would have occurred. But in other parts of the state, if one handed the keys to another hunter so the hunter(s) could retrieve their game and the ATV was used in a controlled use area or the game was illegal harvest, etc... I would assume the troopers would confiscate the ATV? Please correct me on this!

    Ok... the mention that the hunters were trooper(s) would seem to have impacts as, who would want to help out another hunter ... they might be troopers and you could get penalized. OR ... who is going to help out troopers as one could be penalized.

    The feds seem to find and take joy by using hunters in their departmental pissing matches with the state. In this story ... it seems like it's ATV rider versus the feds. I look forward to hearing how this plays out.

    Edit: from pg 2 of the story - " Wilde pleaded innocent and hired a bulldog Fairbanks attorney who bit back at the Feds. By the time the case went before a U.S. magistrate in Fairbanks in April, Alaska's governor and top elected officials were all in Wilde's corner, and it was unclear exactly who was more on trial -- the old man or the federal agents. The former certainly came off better in the public arena.

    Almost six months later, the magistrate is still wrestling with how to rule. The park service is still struggling to patch things up with the folks along the Yukon. And all over Alaska -- in the state's eight national parks and three national preserves -- rangers are treading lightly." I bet they are treading lightly. Hate to sound to cold ... but even if they are doing their jobs ... I wouldn't be willing look their way if they ever needed assistance.

  5. #5
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,367

    Default

    How do you know within a 20 foot accuracy where an un-surveyed line is at? "We don't treat troopers differently than anyone else." Anyone remember Jeff King? Just saying...

  6. #6

    Default

    LOL
    Yes, stranger...it is the Feds again...hahaha
    Dual Management of State Resources will forever be a fight for Alaskans. State's Rights are being stripped away throughout the nation as a whole, because of marxist's attitudes at the Federal Level. It will require some undoing at some point...hope it is soon, before the next generation loses all rights and priveleges in their entirety.
    Bondage...seems appropriate to describe the Federali's Intent...It is time
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

    Default Fence Them IN

    If the parkies/federalies won't fence us out...It is past time that we FENCE THEM IN. Build it now...it is Shovel Ready!!! Fence them in and freeze them out. Do not support them in any way. Make them import their gas, food and people. Alaskans deserve better.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    these park Law Enforcement dudes are acting like Iran who held Americans hostages for over a year. This is just an example of them getting back at the State Alaska over the Yukon boat checks. They need to GET RID of the head man in the law enforcement division. He's the problem, not the little guys under him that he barks orders to. 99 percent of them are great folks, it's that one bad apple who has alot of seniority that gives the whole she-bang a bad name. Spit on him, piss on him, and if he fights back fellow Alaskans, pound him into the ground in a court of law. That's what this state is all about, challenging the Feds in the highest court of law. Alaskan history is exciting to say the least, no other state bucks up like we do. This garbage will get challenged and dismissed for sure. I appologize for the rant, I just get so ANGRY with these badge-heavy punks.

    I'm tired of good, solid, genuine Alaskan folk getting thrown under the bus to make an example of em.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Denali superintendent Paul Anderson said. But park rangers don't want it to look like they're showing favoritism because troopers were involved in this affair.


    It appears Paul Anderson thinks it better to looked like an Axx hole than to show favoritism. He should be very happy.

  10. #10
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Sorry but I do not feel bad for the atv driver.

    1. He should have known the regulations and where he was at. (yes the boundaries are grey but this is why we all give them a buffer (Jeff King))

    2. Knowing this he should have told the hunters to walk in and get it or loaned them his atv.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

    Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

  11. #11

    Wink

    A Big Fence would eliminate the need for a "buffer" and define those "grey boundries" with absoluteness.

    Not to mention, that is would also serve to keep the "wolves" in their own domain. ...that's a winky there.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12

    Default

    If the guy helping the trooper (I have no doubt that everyone who lives in Cantwell knows who the troopers are) ends up with a fine and the trooper himself doesn't make sure the helper doesn't have to pay out of his pocket - He isn't the kind of person I want our troopers to be.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

  13. #13

    Default

    Paying the fine and taking the fall is the way of the Defeatist. A better Alaskan or Trooper would take this to the SCOTUS for resolution.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    We should put a toll booth on the highway before and after the park. If you drive straight through then no toll.... if you stop $15

  15. #15

    Default

    I agree AKres, I was talking "if" at the end of the day the trooper should man up if it goes wrong.
    This may be a good case for the state to take to POTUS, the lawyers will decide that, if there is a chance of winning I would support it.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Sorry but I do not feel bad for the atv driver.

    1. He should have known the regulations and where he was at. (yes the boundaries are grey but this is why we all give them a buffer (Jeff King))

    2. Knowing this he should have told the hunters to walk in and get it or loaned them his atv.
    I have to agree. The person giving assistance should also have the sense to realize that a State employee (at any level or authority) cannot supercede Federal authority, or grant "permission" to a citizen to violate a federal authority.

    I see no choice but for the FEDS to prosecute the "good samaritan", futhermore, if I were the superior of the two troopers who benefitted from the assistance, I would feel compelled to administer a reprimand. It is their responsibility to understand the bounds of their authority.

    I also have to question why the trooper's did not have a gps on hand if they were going to hunt against the boundry, both instances show a lack of common sense IMO. Common sense is critcal to perform the duties of a LEO in a safe and effective manner.

    I cannot help but think that they felt they were "above the law".

  17. #17
    Member FishKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I have to agree. The person giving assistance should also have the sense to realize that a State employee (at any level or authority) cannot supercede Federal authority, or grant "permission" to a citizen to violate a federal authority.

    I see no choice but for the FEDS to prosecute the "good samaritan", futhermore, if I were the superior of the two troopers who benefitted from the assistance, I would feel compelled to administer a reprimand. It is their responsibility to understand the bounds of their authority.

    I also have to question why the trooper's did not have a gps on hand if they were going to hunt against the boundry, both instances show a lack of common sense IMO. Common sense is critcal to perform the duties of a LEO in a safe and effective manner.

    I cannot help but think that they felt they were "above the law".
    Good Samaritan law should protect this person. This law was enacted to protect people from this very thing. Next if you help a cop who is about to be shot by a robber for example and you kill the armed person: Do you go to jail for murder because you protected a life? The legal beagles should step up and stop this charge. If it was a sting operation and they suspected this person of legal wrong doings then I would say charge him but this does not appear to be the case..........

  18. #18
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    I'd hold off on making judgments about this until more info comes out. Too much yet unknown. Plus, you would expect a brown shirt trooper to know the law, to understand that the boundaries are not marked, that a gps is the best way to stay legal. On top of that, caribou aren't all that big a deal to pack out for two guys, especially if they only had to pack it back past the boundary.

    I more than most probably understand the anti-fed sentiment many have with NPS. I will tell you though that locals and NPS are working on trying to make things better in this area (Yukon Charley), we have some new good ranger staff...it's going to take time and I understand though some people won't ever forgive or forget, which is their prerogative.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    I was out back tenderizing moose qtrs with my FIST's so whats going on???

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Good Samaritan law should protect this person. This law was enacted to protect people from this very thing. Next if you help a cop who is about to be shot by a robber for example and you kill the armed person: Do you go to jail for murder because you protected a life? The legal beagles should step up and stop this charge. If it was a sting operation and they suspected this person of legal wrong doings then I would say charge him but this does not appear to be the case..........



    In your example the GS law has merit .

    I see no way to apply the "good samaritan" law where the OP is concerned. http://www.cprinstructor.com/AK-GS.htm .

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •