Thread: Copper River Highway(i.e. Chitina Road) II

Default Copper River Highway(i.e. Chitina Road) II

Well the Chitina Dipnetters Association(CDA) through the board tonight designated as our top priority the opening of the road past O'Brien Creek to Haley Creek. Which says that DOT needs to put a bridge in at O'Brien Creek and clear and or fill in the road returning it to a safe and 4-wheel drivable goat trail.
    Now that statement entitles anyone who utters it to a cup of coffee for only $.50, that is if you can find somewhere selling coffee for $.50. Which is a wiseass way of saying the statement in itself is not going to do anything. CDA has however focused its full attention to doing what it takes to promote the State to act on opening the road to access the Chitina Personal Use fishery.
    It is only a political problem at this point; had some insightfull comments blowing away the smoke screen issues of liability, costs, and difficulty, leaving only DOT acting on the will of the Legislature. Will not get into each point but if you are interested post here questions and we will try to reply and clarify the reality of the road and its status. And YOUR legislature needs to hear from you! Especially if you're in Anchorage, Wasilla, Kenai, ect. as we have Fairbanks covered. Know who your Legislator is? Senator and Representative? Give'm a call. E-mails are apparently the easiest to ignore(hit delete) and real paper(Fax or snail mail) has the best impact.
    We are still within the window of opportunity to have it cleared by the opening of the season, but not for long, so its a now or never(or at least next year) time.
    Hoping you and yours have a safe drive past O'Brien Creek and way back into the canyon this June and/or July.
    Thanks.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Update....

The troops are massing and on the march. Chitina Dipnetters Association(CDA) has got the Alaska Outdoor Council(AOC) and perhaps their paid Juneau lobbiest involved in the fight to re-open access to the Chitina Personal Use Fishery beyond O'Brien Creek to Haley Creek. As we speak Board members are calling Ledgislators to incourage Political support (or pressure depending on your viewpoint) for DOT to do any work is at the to work on and make access available for Alaskans and their families to harvest salmon. The reluctance, at DOT, is at the top and thus political pressure is the solution.
    If you are a dipnetter, Chitina or otherwise, or just concerned about the State and its attitude toward Alaskans and activities related to their hunting and fishing please consider contributing to this battle to re-open access for those activities. Let your legislator know its important to you and your family that the State show some responsibility for maintaining access for Alaskans to hunting and fishing areas.
    Thanks.
    Paul Holland

Default Access for Alaskans to their Resources...

Access for Alaskans to their Resources!
    Is the rallying call for putting political pressure upon the political machinery of the state to Re-open the road to 4wd vehicles past O'Brien Creek to Haley Creek in the form of a pioneer road.('pioneer road' sounds better than goat trail)
    So please consider touching base with the Govenor's office and then also your Legislators.
    P.S. You can fully qualify for 25 cent cups of coffee if you are willing to contribute to this effort! That is to say my earlier comment in the previous post has proven doable, at least here in Fairbanks as the new Carl's Jr. has coffee for, no kidding, 25 cents! So you have earned this unique privilege for a two-bit cup O'Jo, now go out there and chew your political representatives ear!
    Thanks and enjoy you coffee.
    Paul Holland

Question Updates?

The annual fisherman's migration is getting close. Is there any new information on the road situation?
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Default Update...

May 8...
    Sorry not to post right away but its still up in the air as far as we can see!

Positive side; DOT was given $760,000 for improvments in the Chitina Dipnet area and at least two interior legislators were telling others that the road would be open.

Negative side; at the Chitina Dipnetters Annual meeting Steve Titus, head of Northern Regiion of DOT spoke(and we were grateful he came) but seemed not to have gotten the memo about opening the road. He was sticking to the 'Four Wheeler' only bridge at O'Brian Creek and even hemmed and hawwed at anything past there. Politics from a political appointee? I hope so, and also that we are able to put more political weight on him than those opposing access.

Seems kinda weak to still be in the dark but...? So I guess we neen to keep the pressure up. The Govenor is the key it seems at this point and if all the e-mails ect. are being transfered to DOT(who seems to be working for the interests of somebody other than us) we aren't making our mark with our lovely Govenor.
    Anybody have an in or a voice that could get thru to her? I had talked with her during the campaign and she said how her Dad used to dipnet at Chitina. Would hope that Access for Alaskans at Chitina would be understood and supported by her.

So after all our effort and $760,000 of our money specifically given to DOT for improvements, we get mixed messages. Sorry there is no better news, seems we can't error in keeping up the effort just yet.
    Paul Holland

I heard on the radio that DOT plans to put a new bridge in over O'Brian, but they say it will be ATV only.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I heard on the radio that DOT plans to put a new bridge in over O'Brian, but they say it will be ATV only.
    My problem with "ATV" only is that they'll build to width.

It's yet another tactic in access restriction..........

I have been called by a number of legislatures to help rally the troops for the O'brian access. This is really a statewide issue, not just a local one. All of us need to call all of our friends and have them call their local Governors office to ask for help from the third floor. By the way, I'm the guy starting a south-central dip-netting Ass. with help from the KRSA. I'm also the guy who started a statewide petition asking Sarah for better representation on the BOF. Any questions, I can be reached at 715-8363

I'm also miffed at the atv bridge. I used to take my 4wd truck well down the road to access one of the eddies, but unless a real bridge is put back in, it closes me out of the copper. I'm not going to pay for a transporter to take me down river, not going to get a wheeler just for the copper, and don't have a river boat.

I've always wanted to do a fish wheel for the experience of it, but dipping provides all the salmon we can eat.

Default Explain this one!

Went down to O'Brian creek saturday and the state had brushed the road and fixed it up along with working around the creek to do a bridge. Then I see the article about them not fixing anymore of the road where all the slides are, but they continued to brush the road past the creek. Were they trying to get our hopes up or just bored? I sure hope we don't lose this road "back to nature" as the article states. The Copper River below the canyon is a beautiful place.

Default Update...Still hope for access past O'Brian Creek

Where we are now is DOT is saying a 4wheeler bridge(same old bridge but only planking for 4wheeler width!) at O'Brian Creek and no work on road beyond that. Can not give an accurate report on actual work being done but will try to check with Mark Hem in Chitina for that.
    What is being done is a letter/editorial being drafted for newspapers...suggestions or contacts at Alaskan publications let me know(pcgholland@yahoo.com)
    A guy is down there this weekend(from Fairbanks I think) looking at what needs to be done for a vehicle bridge, i.e. lets buy some beams and planking ane do the work ourselves! It sounds like he's all go on that and will see what he's got planned and what we can do to help.
    Along that same line how does a work party(emphasis on work and not party) with some shovles and whathaveyou for the slide areas sound? It still is hard to believe that the state is dropping the ball on its responsibility to do basic, very do-able work for "Access for Alaskans and their Families to their resources". So maybe a very public and publicised show of volunteer Alaskan labor would bring some sense of shame to those who seem to be shameless. That is more of thought at this point but as time passes its becoming a pratical way of being able to dipnet this summer. Any thoughts?
    Please keep up the pressure and the hope alive for passable access to most of the Chitina Personal Use Fishery for those with motor vehicles for this summer.
    Thanks.
    Paul Holland

Default Bridge

I heard a rumor that the bridge was finished yesterday (6/2). Anyone else hear anything about it?
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan