Thread: ATV winterization and storage?

Default ATV winterization and storage?

Checking in to see what you guys do for winter storage of your atv's? I have several to get ready. I'm assuming I should fill all the tanks with fuel? To decrease the condensation and rust? What else?

Thanks,
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

What I have done for many years is I remove all the gas from the gas tank.

Drain the carburetor.

Remove one of the battery cables and charge the battery. The only reason I charge the battery is to make sure it is fully charged. If you donít have a charger just run the atv for Ĺ hr. and then remove a battery cable.

Check all oil level and make sure there no water in them. transmission, gear box, else. If you change oil this would be a good time.

Grease all zerks; use your manual to find them all.

Check belt and check drive chain and grease chain.

Clean air filter

I just back mine in the garage.

Honestly here in the valley we don't get snow so I still ride them around pretty frequently. Even on the rare occasion that we do get snow the quad is the plow as well so it gets run then too.

"Winterization"? Heck, I ride mine all winter long! Bunny hunting around Jim Creek is easy on a wheeler even after snow hits... plus the kids love it when I pull them around the lake on their sleds too.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Put the toys away for the winter? Nooo still plenty of places to get out and ride!

Well, mine gets put away for the winter. Swapped out for the snowmachines! I add gas stabilizer to the tank, fill it full, and run it enough to get the stabilized gas into the carb. Clean it up, change the oil, grease the zerks, and then tarp it over and say sleep tight until spring. Then I untarp the snowmachines, start them up, clean off the dust, change the spark plugs, and pray for snow.

Storage???? Ranger'n at it's finest in the powder!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

NRick, we are on the same page! I could ride them in the winter, but it's a lot more fun on snow machines! Specially when I just got two new Bearcat 1100 four strokes! Really appreciate all the info and help!

As far as winter riding, I tried last year around my place with them, and after getting stuck, sometimes for an hour or more, i decided it wouldn't work. Even on the unplowed, but packed down highway it was impossible.

Thanks again!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

dont be a wuss. when theres no snow in wasilla how you gonna ride a snowmachine?
    Semper Fi!

I like to take my battery totally out and store it some where inside that is nice and warm, that is because my wheeler hibernates in a container with no heat. then I throw a charge on it come spring time before dropping it back in for the summer. battery last longer than 1 year when I do that. unless you are like LuJon and have a shop, geez how big is that thing? boat, wheeler, what else you store in there? might have to put some stabil in this year to see if it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I just back mine in the garage.

Honestly here in the valley we don't get snow so I still ride them around pretty frequently. Even on the rare occasion that we do get snow the quad is the plow as well so it gets run then too.
    Same here. We garage our ATV's year round, we do maintenance on them in the spring. We do ride in the winter if it's a low snow year, otherwise we switch to snowmobiles. We've never had a problem with our Yamaha Grizzlies running the battery down in storage, and no problems with the gas either.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I check fluids, grease it, put Sta Bill in and run it awhile, pull it under a 4 ' eve. and pull the battery for garage storage. The other one gets Sta Bill and goes in the garage. I will fire it up and pull the Grand Kids in a toboggan this winter.

STABIL!! It's the gas that will kill the carbs with time...either fog the carbs or stabil the gas & ru enough to get n them

I top off the gas and don't worry about Stabil. Hasn't caused an issue yet. I also remove the batteries and store them inside. The computers on my Arctic Cats will drain the battery if they aren't removed unless they are run every month.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've got a carbed Sportsman 700
    Do I need to rejet it like a snowmachine to run it in cold weather????

Does anybody have a pad heater on their atv? I've got an AC 400 (air/oil cooled) that I keep in an unheated shed. I've always just cranked up the kerosene heater in the winter to warm it up, but I do have power out there, so I was thinking about putting a heater on it.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Pssshhawww, why put up the 4 wheeler? gees
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.