Thread: Gloves out on your line....

crazedBOWhunter

Default Gloves out on your line....

Just curious what type of gloves y'all are wearing to keep the digits from freezing, as well as keeping scent off your traps/snares...

Supporting Member

Cotton gloves purchased from AIH by the "dozen" pack. Change a pair out whenever they start to feel damp to you. I usually carry six - eight pairs with me every day, depending on snow conditions and temperatures. I only use them for trap and snare setting, otherwise I am wearing my fur mittens.

I like the heavy weight refrigerwear gloves for driving the snogo, handling bait, and general use. For setting traps or snares I either use the cheap cotton aih gloves or the rubber dipped atlas gloves depending on temperatures. Lots of switching back and forth. Keep handwarmers going in your beaver mitts or heavy gloves to warm up the fingers whenever you can. Thumb and grip heaters on the snomachine are nice too.

When setting snares with cotton gloves, the biggest thing is when the gloves get damp or wet, change them. From what I understand, when they get damp they start to leave scentl on your gear.

crazedBOWhunter

AIH?? Alaska Industrial Hardware I'm assuming...

Yep...that is the only place I've seent the refrigerwear gloves. The cotton glove can be had anywhere, but you can buy them in bulk at aih pretty reasonably.

I found these refrigiwear gloves last season, at the new Army Navy on the Seward Hwy. in Anchorage. They were very durable, and quite warm for finger gloves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gloves.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	53773
    I wear the cotton gloves like Spike mentioned for setting my wolf gear. I wash them in a detergent with no perfumes like "Dreft", and them put each pair in a ziplock bag to keep any contaminants off. Like mentioned by warthog, it is important to change out the gloves if they start to get wet, to prevent contamination. I know some guy's will say that is incorrect, and they catch wolves without keeping their scent down, but that is what has worked best for me over the last 20 years.

When it gets real cold I wear my beaver mitt's.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Kinkos are the best cold weather glove out. I wear them all winter on the slope.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..