Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still time to find a black bear?

Default Still time to find a black bear?

With the latest snow in the mountains, will the bears still be out looking for berries? I'm in Anchorage and would still like to try for a fall blueberry fed black bear. I was out last week and saw a grizz and two blackies but that was before the mountains got dumped on. Looks like the areas where there are berries are covered with snow, unless it melts.

Any thoughts?

I'd bet that there will still be bears out and about. At least...I hope there will, as my wife and I will be out looking on Saturday if the weather is decent. One minor snowfall usually isn't enough to send the bears - at least the boars - into the den. As long as the berries are still reasonably accessible, there should still be some bears out feeding on them.

There still should be bears out. Last year I was hare hunting in mid October with snow down pretty low on the mountains and saw a fair amout of black bear sign still. I wouldn't be suprised if they stay out for another couple weeks. Look for tracks in the snow.

Had a medium size Black Bear today, and only 1/2 way up the mountain. Mile 8 Hope Road.

go to crow creek pass glass the hills good trail to walk on but when drop down into crow creek have fun the other side of the mtn doesn't look steep but it is LOL..

Well, I saw some bears but were all sows and cubs. I saw 3 sows and 4 cubs between them. Two of them were on the bird creek side of bird ridge. Even if they'd have been legal bears there would have been no way to get to them, they were cliff bound and in some seriously nasty terrain.

The other was at the parking lot of crow creek pass trailhead. Again, not really anyway to get to them even if there'd have been a legal bear. Saw nothing all the way to the end of that canyon.

Just trying to get my first bear has been very frustrating.

Mossyhorn,
    You are making progress! You are seeing bears. And if you look long enough you will see solo, presumably, boar bears.
    Without a mentor showing you his/her honey-hole hot-spots, you are making baby steps forward. And while you may be frustrated now, after shooting two or three bears soon or in the spring, this black bear hunting thing will be easy.
    You are making progress. Keep glassing the south facing, snow-free hillsides.....looking for solo bears and for berries.
    AlaskaTrueAdventure

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Had a medium size Black Bear today, and only 1/2 way up the mountain. Mile 8 Hope Road.
    Seen this bear again today in roughly the same spot. He is alone, I did not watch him long but was feeding and in an estimated 3" of snow. He has mover higher, there is another one across Six-mile just wandering around, this bear is NOT get'able.

I flew around Cooper landing yesterday and didn't see a single bear in several places I can usually count more than 10, might have just been an off night but it wasn't encouraging!

They don't go hide on first snow out of Whittier seen some (10) the first week in November last year. And it's not even a honey hole

Not seeing anything up Palmer creek the last two days. The snow is at the road at the end. Have seen a few tracks, but no movement.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Was all over the Hope/Turnigan pass area today, didn't see ANYTHING moving.

Well, I hit it again today. I saw nothing at all, other than some piles of digested berries. I drove all the way down, looking along the way, to a trail head area west of Cooper Landing. I hiked up there and found tons and tons of berries and some piles of digested berries but no bears. I think today might be the last day of the year for me. It's just getting too spendy making all the trips down south. Hopefully next year.

Glad to hear the reports. What was the snow level like around Summit Lake on down to Tern Lake? I'm likely going to go for a hike with my gun on Saturday. I'd like to call it a bear hunt, but I'll keep my expectations low for now and hope to be surprised.

When we were flying up there earlier this week the snow was just above the alder line so there was a nice band of open land between the two, snow was all the way down to Crescent and Carter lakes with the smaller ponds around Carter lake frozen over. Not sure how its changed in the last couple days but this morning was pretty warm in Kenai.

snow level was pretty much down to the lake, nothing major but there was snow down in the campground. The snow was much higher up around Tern Lake. Where I was, the snow was clear up about 2500 feet. I hiked up to about 23-2400 ft and there was just a little bit here and there.

Drove all the way to Hope stopping and glassing and eventually went back to resurrection rd. I took the left before hitting the trail head and went all the way down that road but didn't see any bears... We harvested some ptarmigan though. Sneaky buggers... I think I'm done for the season. haha

Saw black bear on mountain this morning by russian river. Climbed up after it, scaled a cliff slipping on shale, it started to rain. took 90 minutes to get to it with a lot of harry situations. saw it still eating berries in the same place so i climbed up a 16 foot rock face. the wind in my favor, the rain drowning out my footsteps, quite as a mouse i get to the top 100 yards away he some how notices me. The Biggest head i have ever seen on a black Bear. watched him watch me thru my clear plastic scope cover. look down to pull off the cover for a clear shot and he slowly turned and disappeared. I was surprised just how Heavy that empty pack felt on my way back down to the truck. just two more seconds.

Sorry to hear it, powell. Hopefully you can get after him next time.

As for me, it looks like it'll be Sunday instead of tomorrow. I've got two days to work with, so I may as well go with the better forecast. I'll let you all know what I see on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    As for me, it looks like it'll be Sunday instead of tomorrow. I've got two days to work with, so I may as well go with the better forecast. I'll let you all know what I see on Monday.
    So much for trying to avoid the "scattered showers" that were forecast for this morning. It's beautiful out there! Hopefully the same will be true tomorrow, as I've got black dots to chase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast