Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there going to be a first shot distance thread?

Default Is there going to be a first shot distance thread?

For the last several years a member (don't remember who) has conducted a survey of "first shot distance" on the forum to get a body of data about how far the average first shot distance was for various species...

Is he still around? Always found that highly informative and I'd like to the see the research continue...

I donno.....but I was just about to post a tread and ask you guys what Kind of Rifle I need to buy to Hunt in Alaska.........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I was gonna ask what kind of bear gun is required too.

I'll say my sheep this year started at 368 and I wouldn't shoot at that distance and sealed the deal at 169yrds.
    Deer...I pulled a double last weekend, one at 350 the second at 400yrds with great accuracy and results, prone with excellent rest and a good understanding of range and ballistics.

Bear.....I want to be within 100
    Goat....200 or less

Depends on many factors but for me I like to ensure the first shot has increased probability of being on target. Using a rifle at close range (less than 50)and off hand is really exciting. So if I can ease in on a critter and close the gap to less than 50, boom, without a thought.

It's been said here before....getting in close also can afford you the option of a good follow up.

There just isn't a right answer for the question. There are wrong results for animals shot poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I donno.....but I was just about to post a tread and ask you guys what Kind of Rifle I need to buy to Hunt in Alaska.........
    I like using 6.8 SPC to hunt zombies.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Ah **** that is to **** funny I about choked on my tongue LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I like using 6.8 SPC to hunt zombies.
    What flavor of 6.8?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    What flavor of 6.8?
    I found 110 gr nosler accubonds to be most effective.

Very good! Bolt or AR variant?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Very good! Bolt or AR variant?
    You can only hunt Zombies with black rifles duh it has to be an AR!

I have heard it on good authority that you must have a Dragunov SVD for its long range accuracy and semi automatic action which allows rapid follow up shots. Plus it looks cool!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have heard it on good authority that you must have a Dragunov SVD for its long range accuracy and semi automatic action which allows rapid follow up shots. Plus it looks cool!
    A Remington 700, known for accuracy and intermittant semi-auto functioning. H3ll on doffed jackets also.

Somewhere out here lies a grouse thats lucky I'm not that great with a handgun. Next time I'm rolling out .223 eotechd, head shots. Sniped from 50+yards.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

When hunting dangerous game, the "juice" lies in the fact that sometimes you get the "bear" and sometimes the "bear" gets you. Therefore I prefer to hunt with a bolt that is sticky and misfires often. Makes it much more of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Somewhere out here lies a grouse thats lucky I'm not that great with a handgun. Next time I'm rolling out .223 eotechd, head shots. Sniped from 50+yards.
    LOL you sure aint no Wyatt Earp thats for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    When hunting dangerous game, the "juice" lies in the fact that sometimes you get the "bear" and sometimes the "bear" gets you. Therefore I prefer to hunt with a bolt that is sticky and misfires often. Makes it much more of a challenge.
    This brought an interesting thought to my tiny brain...
    Hmmm when one is hunting with a rifle most would side on leaving the chamber empty until the game is spotted and your getting ready for a shot... OK
    But if your packing a handgun ya chuck it full of firepower in case a mean old bear gets a desire to eat you....Hmmm
    So would it not make sense to have your rifle chamber loaded if your not packing a six shooter - I can't imagine wasting time to rack in a round if a mad griz comes bust'n outa the bush at close range...
    I get it that the handgun is likely in a holster making it much safer to the humans around you - but I have always felt that is what a safety was for on a longun, along with the safe firearms handling...
    Anyway sense this thread is bouncing around I thought I would throw out a senseless useless thought too...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Hmmm when one is hunting with a rifle most would side on leaving the chamber empty until the game is spotted and your getting ready for a shot... OK
    But if your packing a handgun ya chuck it full of firepower in case a mean old bear gets a desire to eat you....Hmmm
    So would it not make sense to have your rifle chamber loaded if your not packing a six shooter - I can't imagine wasting time to rack in a round if a mad griz comes bust'n outa the bush at close range...
    I get it that the handgun is likely in a holster making it much safer to the humans around you - but I have always felt that is what a safety was for on a longun, along with the safe firearms handling...
    Anyway sense this thread is bouncing around I thought I would throw out a senseless useless thought too...
    I carry a .44 Super BlackHawk. And the hammer rests on an empty chamber.

Had to shuck it in a hurry once when I got betwixt a sow and cubs. Everything functioned as practiced, no harm to any parties involved, 'ceptin my britches.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    When I'm hunting, I keep a round in the chamber. When I'm done hunting (read as I'm no longer in the field/woods/whatever), I take the round out of the chamber and put the gun away.

Same with fishing. I don't wait till I see a fish before tying a lure on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    When I'm hunting, I keep a round in the chamber. When I'm done hunting (read as I'm no longer in the field/woods/whatever), I take the round out of the chamber and put the gun away.

Same with fishing. I don't wait till I see a fish before tying a lure on the line.
    But while your walking along the bank is the hook swinging loose, or is it secured to the rod?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    But while your walking along the bank is the hook swinging loose, or is it secured to the rod?
    Depends on the situation, but I keep it pointed in a safe direction. While fishing the Russian, every trout fisherman I see walking in the water looking for fish has the hook loose and line in hand ready to cast.

Interesting.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast