Thread: TarpTent Double Rainbow - Opinions

Default TarpTent Double Rainbow - Opinions

Read about this as a 'one-liner' on another thread. Now I am looking seriously at the Tarptent Double rainbow. I have a good 4 season that gives me and my boy space and comfort for 4-season hunting and/or basecamp, but there is a BIG weight penalty with that. What I am looking for is a good solid shelter for 2/3 day hunts that is easily packable and free-standing as an option. Only for me and my 10 year-old. I was looking at 2 new bivi bags to add to my Sil-tarp, but for nearly the same $$ the Tarptent looks like a winner. I know bivi bags and bivis/tents mostly serve different purposes and although I have spent many, many nights in a bivi bag, I am not sure how my boy will fair. Also the convenience of a 'tent' for shelter is a godsend when the heavens open.
    Any one got/use a TarpTent, specifically the Double Rainbow? Thanks in advance.

Wow, I really like it. I'm going to look further for reviews and info.

Very interesting tent, looks like a great design @ 2.6 lbs.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Wow, I really like it. I'm going to look further for reviews and info.

Very interesting tent, looks like a great design @ 2.6 lbs.
    Fullcurl check out backpackinglight forums, these tarp tents are popular.

While I am no longer in AK, I use that tent for the Appalachian Trail (AT) and absolutely love it, I have since donated my other tents to the Boy Scouts, and recently added a sil nylon tarp for a second barrier for snow, there is plenty of room for 2, light, simple, comfy.
    Plus, IMO, 2 people ina tent will be warmer then solo bivys. Lastly, you don't have to get out t get dressed in the mornings.
    Be warned, though, silnylon really does not like sparks from a campfire.

I have owned two tents from Tarptent. The Cloudburst 2 and the Double Rainbow. While they are light at 2.5 pounds roughly apiece I was less than impressed with the space/weight they provided and the limited area inside the tent to even stand up. I sold both of them in favor of other options. Just my .02

I am now waiting on pricing for the new Tarptent StratoSpire 2; emailed TarpTent and pricing should be available next week. Looks to be a better answer for what I want. A little more space, less weight and the option to only carry the Tarp (less floor and net) or the floor/net for those dry Kodiak nights (who am I kidding!!).